The Rithmatist Impressions *Spoilers*

Chaos

So it's May 14th, which means you can now get the Rithmatist! Go do that now. I'll wait. When you finish, come back here. Let's hear what you think of the book.

I'll keep this really spare and spoiler-free for now, but I just wanted to say that I love this book. I'm worried people who just focus on the cosmere will miss out on its awesomeness. I'm in love with the setting, and the ending. Man.

So I'm serious: go get it and read it right now. It is everything you'd want in a Brandon book.

Are the Tor chapters exactly what's in the book, or was there more editing afterwards? I'm thinking about rereading those now, and then picking up the book later in the day when stores are open here.

Well, after reading the ARC *wooo!* I will say this:

I really enjoyed this book. The magic system is interesting, and I was consistently wrong about who the villain was (how many false trails, Brandon?) so well worth a read-through.

However - the very beginning and the very ending (post-climax, without wanting to give spoilers I hope people understand what I mean by this) came across as... sort of flat? I don't often review things from a literary perspective, so I'm not sure how best to explain how I feel about it, but the opening and closing chapters felt sort of... disjointed. Tacked on even. I dunno.

It's possible this is simply a pacing issue, and to do with the fact that it's a YA book - certainly I'm sure I'd have enjoyed it a ton when I was younger. I'm actually planning to try and keep my Rithmatic Chalk in its pouch and unbroken until my son is old enough to understand and enjoy the story, before presenting it to him :P sadly I'm going to have a long wait, as he's only 9 months old.

tl/dr, I enjoyed everything apart from the very beginning and ending, and I'll definitely pick up the sequel.

I bought the ebook, and I finished the book a couple hours after I received it. I always feel guilty about how fast I read books, especially when it has taken the author so much longer to write it. 

I liked the ending, but it does make me a little nervous. How many series is Brandon juggling now? Wax and Wayne, Stormlight, Alcatraz, Steelheart, Rithmatist, Elantris... that's a lot! 

Oh, and it was cool for me to finally understand WHY the original book was called "Scribbler". 

I read too fast...

Oh yes, spoilers in this spoiler thread, just to be clear. Including mild AoL spoilers.

I liked it. I could definitely see a difference from Brandon's non-YA works, in terms of writing and the fact that everyone didn't die at the end (well, the first end, before that second ending happened). I agree with Senor that the pacing was thrown off by the ending. It was made of awesome, don't get me wrong, but I feel like we were supposed to be in denouement territory, not "let's RUMBLE!" territory.

On that selfsame end, I felt that it was a bit too much sequel-hooking, though that might be a symptom of YA. We didn't need Nalizar to be all "yup, inscrutable evil is me", I think a short, sweet, flashback/thought process from Joel followed by a horrified revelation and seeing the evil in Nalizar's eyes (with perhaps an simple knowing smirk at Joel's shocked silence, not a full monologue/discussion), would have done the job better, and a bit more naturally.

Now I know I've defended the "next time, on..." sequel hook in AoL before, saying that it was akin to a preview for the next "episode", since the plot was all neatly wrapped up by then in AoL. I just think a bit too much time was given to realizing Nalizar's evil (okay, maybe not evil, what with ambiguity and all, but you get it) and listening about his evil and foiling his evil, and thinking more about his evil, and.... Where AoL gave you a glimpse of the future as you were nudged out of the door, Rithmatist draws the reader back in before rudely throwing them out.

I have other thoughts, I'm sure, but I'll let them simmer for a bit.

P.S. Also, excellent artwork (as always) by Inkthinker. It really made things more clear a few times and was quite well done in its own right. As a side note, doesn't he deserve an "Official Artist" group title or something at this point?

Edited by Kurkistan

Just finished... So good... Why do I have to wait for the sequel... I want to know more.

Okay coherent thoughts...

Brandon is fantastic at wordbuilding, he has created magic systems and settings I love, but this is the first time I actually want to live in the world he created.  I am a fan of alternate history, after all I do plan on working in the history field, and this good blend of alternate history and something new.  The "strange attractor" as it were.  The point in the church with the clocks made out of stained-glass...  You all might not know this about me but I have a thing for glasswork and clockwork and seeing them together, I was like "Shnergaberg this is awesome..."

There were a couple points, mostly when chalklings were being discussed, that I could help but think realmatically despite this not being cosmere.  I just have a feeling cognitive aspects are involved.

I am proud to admit that I totally called Joel and Melody working together as "one" Rithmatist early on and I was so thrilled with that final battle.

Now for some sleep...

Are the Tor chapters exactly what's in the book, or was there more editing afterwards? I'm thinking about rereading those now, and then picking up the book later in the day when stores are open here.

As far as I can tell, they are identical. If anything just typos were fixed. 

Well, after reading the ARC *wooo!*

Gee, I wonder where you got that? ;)

So, I think I'll just admit that I had read Rithmatist a while ago. You've probably already figured this out, considering how effusive I've been on the News section about Rithmatist. But I had read it back when it was called Scribbler, so my perspective is a bit different.

Long story short: I've really really loved this book for a while. I'm with you, WeiryWriter. The world is simply fantastic. You can tell Brandon had a ton of fun doing the worldbuilding in this. It's just so compelling. The chalk, the wild chalkings, and the mysterious connection with the steampunk aspects? Holy crap I'm in love.

It had been so long since I had read Scribbler that I totally forgot like three things about the ending. I knew Nalizar was bad, but man, that ending is twisty and awesome.

The ending didn't bother me with its sequel bait as much as Alloy bothered me. It could be that I've known this would be another series of Brandon's for a long time, so when I read the final product, I had the right expectations (Alloy, on the other hand, annoyed me so much more, because I had been sold that this was a standalone, not a series. That ending still bums me out in some respects). But, on another token, the worldbuilding is so excellent that I simply must get a sequel. That's probably why I'm okay with this ending. Rithmatist ends resolving the mystery of the Scribbler and the killings, and the end with the Melee was so excellent. I had totally forgotten the last battle with Joel and Melody, so that ending was supremely satisfying for me.

I think of it like, this book solved the problems it promised in the beginning, both plot and character wise, and the setup of Nalizar is the setup for the rest of the trilogy (I am pretty sure it is a trilogy, but I don't know if that's set in stone).

(Also, I personally think The Rithmatist is a weaker title than Scribbler, which is what this book's plot centers on)

Though I'm not worried Brandon getting burned out on series. This novel is one of his books he'd write in between big epics anyway. We are really, really lucky this year that with A Memory of Light, we still get such books. I'm sure he can crank this stuff out in like a month :P The Rithmatist is a fun vacation for him :P

Edited by Chaos

Brrrrrrrrrandon!

I totally didn't expect to like this book as much as I did, dumb of me, I know.

The setting itself really has captured my imagination. Alt-history is one of my personal favorite genres. I really can't wait to know more about various points where the course of history shifted from our own. I'm especially curious about the lost civilization in North America. Part of me wonders if the Tower of Nebrask and all is tied up in why North America is islands now, instead of a continent.

Now I have another series to joyfully anticipate a sequel to :D

I picked up the ebook before work, and read it after, finishing it while the hockey game was on last night (yes, yes, I know... spending time reading instead of paying 100% attention to hockey... I'm a horrible Canadian :P)

That said, I quite enjoyed the book & am definitely looking forward to a sequel.  I was rather amused when I saw that one of the characters had my last name (since it's not that common around here), and was even more amused when I saw that one of the defences has my first name :P

I'm interested to see where Brandon will take a sequel, as the worldbuilding seemed to be nicely extensive (leaving lots of play area for more books).  I also felt that the description of how Rithmatics works reminded me quite a bit of Forgery (anyone else think that there were similarities there?)

There were a couple points, mostly when chalklings were being discussed, that I could help but think realmatically despite this not being cosmere.  I just have a feeling cognitive aspects are involved.

Joel sounded exactly like an exasperated Sharder for about a page there. :D

EDIT:

@Chaos

As for the ending, I may have come off a bit too harsh in my post. The ending doesn't come anywhere close to "bumming me out" like the AoL ending did for some, I just thought it had some flaws, so far as pacing and whatnot goes. It's not so much that it's a sequel hook, just the way its executed that jars me a bit.

Edited by Kurkistan

Very jealous of you guys that get to read the head of everyone else. It kind of bums me out that in Australia I have to wait until the 15th before I can get my hands on it.

I thought The Rithmatist was quite good, Brandon has this way of resolving the plot but leaving far more unanswered questions that make me want to scream with frustration. Who are the forgotten, what is the tower of nebrask, what is the mysterious apparition in the cathedral, the mechanics of inception, how do people transform into chalking and who/what is Nalizar.

These questions are swirling in my mind and I can't sleep.

Let me first say that I haven't actually read The Rithmatist yet, but I did read Scribbler almost 4 years ago, so I'm familiar with the basic storyline. Maybe not some of certain details that I know have been changed (but no one's mentioned that particular section yet so I'm good).

the end with the Melee was so excellent. I had totally forgotten the last battle with Joel and Melody, so that ending was supremely satisfying for me.

So that is where it ends still. Good. I was worried, by some of the other comments that were made, that he'd changed the very ending, and I was like "NO! It was great before!" And I also agree about AoL. I thought that was a standalone, and although it didn't bug me too terribly much there would be a sequel, I still wish I had known going in that the story would not be complete by the end. I don't like that particular kind of surprise.

(Also, I personally think The Rithmatist is a weaker title than Scribbler, which is what this book's plot centers on)

I've thought this since I found out he'd changed it to The Rithmatist. A very large part of me still likes to refer to it as Scribbler, but I know that I shouldn't because that would confuse too many people....mostly on here.... But yeah. Scribbler just sounds so much cooler. More visual, I think. But maybe that's just me.

Also, my disclaimer for not having read The Rithmatist yet is based on financial reasons....And I haven't yet decided if I want to use the Amazon bucks I have for this or save them for something else....

It was a good book indeed :) Also, it is on Amazon, hence available in digital form anywhere, though I don't blame those who want to wait for a physical book.

Still, so many questions.

Does the white thingie also crawl up your mouth and posess you, just benignly? Can a Rithmatist become chalkling at will? (That would be way cool) And more~

Let me first say that I haven't actually read The Rithmatist yet, but I did read Scribbler almost 4 years ago, so I'm familiar with the basic storyline. Maybe not some of certain details that I know have been changed (but no one's mentioned that particular section yet so I'm good).

Curse be to you and your peers! :P  Seriously, though, I am envious. Your name might even be in the afterword, like Chaos's and Rubix's (ok, not sure about Chaos, but I think that was his name.)

I must say that I would have liked Scribbler better, too. Also, what's the deal with the exercises after afterword? It is the first time I have seen such in an actual fantasy work...

(So no, no complaints. That means perfect enough. :D )

Edited by Satsuoni

What I really liked about the book was the fact, that Joel, albeit talented, was a normal kid. I mean Vin, Kaladin and all the other main characters of Brandons books always seem so... powerful. I know they, too had it rough, they had their weaknesses, but they also had their incredibly rare superpowers making them very dangerous individuals.

Joel on the other hand never gets true magical powers, though I believe he will in sequels, I was really scared when he was attacked by the scribbler and also at the second-to-final battle. He managed to create an atmosphere in which I could really connect with him, he tries to scream but nothing can be heard. When reading Mistborn or Way of Kings, I never felt scared. Don't get me wrong, I was excited, tense, but nothing creeped me out like the scribbler did.

I agree however, that the ending was a little to much in-the-face, some thoughts on Joels part combined with a meaningful smile of Nalezar would have driven the point home far better than the dialogue has.

Your name might even be in the afterword

I seriously doubt that it is. And if somehow I'm wrong, I'll be really surprised (and I totally wouldn't deserve it). After finishing it, I talked to a few others at TWG who'd read it, and everything that I noticed that had issues had already been mentioned to Brandon and he knew about it. But he couldn't focus on it yet, so I didn't bother sending anything. I didn't have anything more to add than what had already been said. Except maybe "Awesome! Can't wait for the next one!" which would've felt a little ridiculous to me, since that was '09 and he wasn't even sure when it would be published....

However, I wouldn't mind someday being mentioned in the afterward, for actually legitimately giving some good help. I would squeal for joy. And then probably go and show everyone I know, thereby annoying them endlessly. :)

What I really liked about the book was the fact, that Joel, albeit talented, was a normal kid. I mean Vin, Kaladin and all the other main characters of Brandons books always seem so... powerful. I know they, too had it rough, they had their weaknesses, but they also had their incredibly rare superpowers making them very dangerous individuals.

Joel on the other hand never gets true magical powers, though I believe he will in sequels, I was really scared when he was attacked by the scribbler and also at the second-to-final battle. He managed to create an atmosphere in which I could really connect with him, he tries to scream but nothing can be heard. When reading Mistborn or Way of Kings, I never felt scared. Don't get me wrong, I was excited, tense, but nothing creeped me out like the scribbler did.

I agree however, that the ending was a little to much in-the-face, some thoughts on Joels part combined with a meaningful smile of Nalezar would have driven the point home far better than the dialogue has.

I agree with you.  While it would have been cool to see Joel the crazy skilled Rithmatist, I've read too many stories with the "I suck at magic... It turns out I'm actually super powerful at magic, we just couldn't tell" plotline.

A mistake we have all made, Nexus. Why, I remember reading WoK for two days straight while my parents were visiting  Suffice it to say, they were less than pleased as to my attentiveness.

Welcome to the forums, btw! :D

Edited by Kurkistan

I started AoL the night before an exam at around 10, finished at like 5 and then had 30 minutes of sleep. And then I nearly started going into realmatics in the middle of a gravity problem in the exam. That was rather awkward.

I got my book on 17th and I'm through once now. :) I like it. It gives me the feeling of a crime story written around a virtual world that's unique (once again) with a major problem that's not solved yet. I'd have been (more) angry about the ending if the "tbc" wasn't set at the end of the book. At the moment it's sort of unsatisfying because I've to wait for another sequel that I'd like to read now (together with WoR and *Nightblood*). And I don't know what to think about that "homeworks" at the end of the book. :) So that are my first impressions. 

I don't have any problems with the "homework". I could ignore them if I want, and a few of the questions gave an interesting insight into Branond's own thoughts/intentions with the book.