Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kadrok

Hemalurgic Copper and Feruchemical Alluminum

8 posts in this topic

From what I understand of Aluminum Feruchemy, it can allow you to reset your identity, personality and such, to the way it was at an earlier point. This seems to me a possible cure to the ill effects of certain kinds of Hemalurgy, such as Copper... which stores intelligence and memory... but also tends to cause insanity given you're essentially splicing part of someone else's mind into yours.

The way I see this working is that you could either cleanse yourself of the spliced personality by storing it (that is storing the spliced personality...) either perpetually if it continually upwells from the spike, or all at once if that is possible, ridding you of it entirely. Alternatively, perhaps you can reinforce your own personality by drawing on aluminium charges stored before the spiking... draw enough and perhaps you can burn the residual personality out, in a similar way to how the MAG describes drawing enough Aluminum as wiping your personality clean...

Another possible use I can see is that it could allow you to shake off some of the unusual effects of BURNING a Hemalurgic spike... assuming there is a use to burning a spike (which is of course a whole different 'kettle of fish'/'bag of cheese'/'coppermind of contentious ideas') 

Thoughts? Reflections? Harsh rebuttals with little consideration for my feelings ;) ?

Edited by Kadrok

While you might be able to reduce your symptoms with an aluminium metal mind, due to the nature of feruchemy you'd have to store and tap so it wouldn't last forever.

With drawing in personality, it gives you a temporary change. Not forever.

While you might be able to reduce your symptoms with an aluminium metal mind, due to the nature of feruchemy you'd have to store and tap so it wouldn't last forever.

With drawing in personality, it gives you a temporary change. Not forever.

Feruchemy can have permanent effects... tap enough gold and you can grow back a limb... and the limb remains when you stop tapping gold. As for Aluminum, the MAG suggests this is one of those permanent change cases... you draw enough, you set yourself back.

Feruchemy can have permanent effects... tap enough gold and you can grow back a limb... and the limb remains when you stop tapping gold. As for Aluminum, the MAG suggests this is one of those permanent change cases... you draw enough, you set yourself back.

That's not really a good example, the regrown limb is a secondary effect of tapping health, kind of like if you tap speed then run fast you'll still be in the place you've run to, that's not really a permanent feruchemical effect though.

That's not really a good example, the regrown limb is a secondary effect of tapping health, kind of like if you tap speed then run fast you'll still be in the place you've run to, that's not really a permanent feruchemical effect though.

No offence, but I think that is a poor analogy (No seriously, I don't mean to offend... sometimes people who begin sentences with "No offence" actually do mean to offend, but this is not one of those cases, and as a message board can't carry tone, I thought I needed to stress this. I respect you Voidus, and I don't want this to divide us).

*Ahem* I think it is a poor analogy because the regrown limb represents a change in the bodies states and capabilities, unlike the change in position, but I can so see this descending into an argument of semantics and definitions... so how about we just sidestep all of that and note that there are Feruchemical effects that are permanent... despite perhaps being a secondary effect Gold can change you (which is what I wanted to get across). Copper can also change you, you can lose memories you had or gain again ones you've lost. And Aluminum, from what I understand from the MAG is like this... tapping enough changes you, in this case your personality, to what it was before. In a way it seems like Aluminum takes the tapping of Copper-like metals, at least for tapping a lot of Aluminum-charges (tapping only a few seems to have temporary effects) and mixes it with the storing of Steel/Pewter-like metals. And that is odd. Perhaps this is merely a quirk of the MAG, but Brandon wasn't divorced from the MAG's production... and I see no reason for the game creators to make stuff up around what is in gameplay a patently useless metal...

Is this acceptable, or have I missed the point of what you were saying Voidus? I will ready an apology if that is the case.

Hey no offense taken, pretty much half of my posts are me criticising theories, I'd be a bit of a hypocrite if I couldn't take it as well :P
Copper was something I actually meant to include in my last post, must have forgotten but yeah, I meant to raise an alternative since it's the primary effect of copper which causes a permanent change (Storing a memory, permanently makes you lose it, tapping a memory makes you permanently gain it) wheras with gold, after you stop tapping the primary attribute (Health) flow is stopped, the secondary effects of that (limbs regrowing, etc.) remain afterwards. But yeah, nicely phrased and I think we're on the same level. :D

Copper was something I actually meant to include in my last post, must have forgotten

I just wanted to call attention to that little bit of awesome.

I always thought aluminum feruchemy worked the same as copper, you stored a part of your personality permanently and could draw it out later, like copper memories.