Just finished my first read of the Mistborn Trilogy...

Mish

FIrst off I have to say, they were ABSOLUTELY AMAZING.  Love love love all 3 books and already feel like I want to read them all over again.

So... the question is, where to from here?  Is there somewhere to find a list of all BS's books so I can start hunting down & reading the rest?  He has catapulted himself to the head of my favourite authors list... and that says a lot!

Seriously stoked to have finished them & not been disappointed by a single page.  *contented sigh*

Hey Mish :) where next? Now that's quite a question...

If you want to read the next Mistborn book, that'll be Alloy of Law - it's set a few hundred years post-Well of Ascension, and technology has a distinct Wild West flavour.

I don't know if you're already aware, but much of Brandon's adult fiction (including Mistborn) is set in the same universe - the setting is referred to as the Cosmere. If you'd like to explore more of this, check out Elantris, Warbreaker, and The Way of Kings. There's also The Emperor's Soul, a novella on the same world as Elantris but in a different country. Later this year we'll get getting Words of Radiance, the sequel to Way of Kings (these are books 1 and 2 of the Stormlight Archives).

If you want to break out of the Cosmere, there's also Legion (very short but very fun), Firstborn and Defending Elysium.

If you don't mind teen books, there's the Alcatraz series and the Rithmatist as well.

Enjoy :)

I also started my Brandon-journey with Mistborn, so I´m going to give you my recommendation based on my experience: I progressed (after Mistborn) by the path of -> Elantris -> Warbreaker -> Way of Kings -> Alloy of Law -> The Emperor´s Soul.

My general recommendations: Read Alloy of Law whenever you like, it´s an short, yet gripping book and you don´t need any knowledge apart from Mistborn. Furthermore, I´d strongly advise you to read Elantris and Warbreaker (order doesn´t matter in my opinion) before Way of Kings and The Emperor´s Soul (the order of those two also doesn´t matter), mainly because (that again is my opinion of course) the aforementioned are earlier works by Brandon and they are not yet as polished in terms of pace, world-building and overall plot compared to the latter two. Also, there ist some Cosmere-related stuff within the latter books that you can hardly notice without reading the "earlier" books.

I´d also strongly recommend staying clear of most of the boards in this forum as long as you haven´t read all Cosmere-related books, as there are huge spoilers all around. Especially if you fancy theorycrafting yourself a bit I´d strongly adivse you to read the books before diving into the discussions around here.

A last note, to give you a rough outline of what you can expect from Brandon in the Cosmere-related future:

- Way of Kings is the first book of his big epic series. When finished it is planned to include at least 10 volumes. Number 2 (as already mentioned) will be released this fall.

- Brandon intends to write 2 more trilogies in the Mistborn-world Scadrial.

- More books are planned in the Elantris-world Sel.

- There are plenty of plans for books on "new" planets.

I think that´s as much as one needs to get a grasp of Brandon´s scope. Once again, I´d strongly adivse you to dive deeper into his world before really getting into the spoiler-heavy discussions around here.

My recommendation would be to read Elantris and Warbreaker next.  Then move on to The Way of Kings.  You will have the same temptation to read TWOK as soon as you finish it the first time...and I recommend it.  You will pick up a lot of small details that people tend to miss in the first read.

• 5 weeks later...

Nice! I just finished the Mistborn Trilogy a few weeks ago (after reading Elantris) and LOVED them. I just finished The Way of Kings (which was absolutely incredible), and am reading The Alloy of Law (which has the basic feel of Mistborn, but with a very cool wild west setting).

• 1 month later...
  • Chaos locked this topic