Ant Man

Quiver

The film was released (at least in the UK) today, and I'm planning on seeing it this evening, so I thought it was worth opening a thread for!

(It's also the last of the Phase Two films, so... I suppose this thread could fit for a general discussion on this past "era" of Marvel films as well? Or should that be it's own thread?)

I'm currently on night shifts so i can't see it till next week. So hyped it is unreal. And yes to that spin off

I actually liked all of Phase 2 although to be fair, i thought Ultron was going to be a bit creepier, a little broody and bit more malevolent from what was shown in the trailer. Not that i'm disappointed, but I was just surprised.

I... actually did not like it as much as I thought I would? then again, I went in with extraordinarilly high expectations, and it was stilla  good movie. I'll comment on Ant Man specifically...

But Phase Two thoughts.

Looking back at it, I think it's been interesting. Phase One was all about telling Origin stories; each film had it's own style, of course, but they were also, in a lot of ways, "standard superhero films", about the main characters getting powers and becoming heroes (the fact Marvel is now the standard for Superhero movies, of course, colours how I view them). The only films which really tried anything different were Cap -which had a bit of a war movie vibe to it- and the Avengers, for it's sheer scale.

I feel like Phase Two has been marked by the studio trying to stretch those genre's a little bit. IM3 was an 80's style action movie, Thor was a road trip/war movie, Winter Soldier was a spy film, Guardian's was a space opera, Ant Man is a heist. Sometimes it worked better than others -Thor 2 was okay, Winter Soldier was amazing- but it's done it's job; it shows that superhero films can be "about" other genre's or other cinematic styles and still work.

(Ultron doesn't quite fit this scheme, but... I'm working on a theory that Age of Ultron is a superhero take on Dante's Inferno and the afterlife.)

Edited by Quiver

I've not yet seen Ant Man, but I'm looking forward to it. For some reason, I'm not expecting it to be as big as the likes of Iron Man, Thor, Captain America (pun not intended). From the trailers, it seems to have a different feel to it, in the same way AoS and Daredevil have different feels to them.

My only real criticism to the phase one movies was that they were all the same. Hulk was Hulk vs nasty Hulk (Abomination is his name?). Thor was demigod vs demigod guardian robot thingy. Iron Man was Iron Man vs Overweight Iron Man. Captain America, which seems to break the mold, is even US secret weapons division vs Nazi secret weapons division. Iron Man 2 was nearly the same, only instead of someone making a bigger and better Iron Man suit, they made lots of them and turned them into robots. And a bigger and better Iron Man suit. Even with this, they were all still good movies, and Avengers capped them off nicely.

Phase two has been a lot better, especially Winter Soldier, which I thought was brilliant, and Guardians of the Galaxy, which I think is just sheer excellence. Dark World was pretty good, but not the best by far. Like Quiver said, they starred the superheroes, but were about something else.

If i were to do an individual film-by-film thing, it'd be this;

Iron Man 3: Charming yet a bit too long. House Party Protocol is an amazing trump card, and initially didn't like what they did with Mandarin, however the One-Shot improved my view of that

Thor 2: I liked the cinematography of it, especially the dark/twilightish ambience. Told a more wider perspective story than the first one, which was rather an enclosed sandbox

TWS: Definitely one of the best, granted just a smidge too long but it does play out well. That elevator fight scene (Y)

GotG: I'd say this was better that TWS, but only by a slight margin. Enough sass, wit and charm to be funny yet not over the top. Not to mention that soundtrack! So glad they didn't ship Peter and Gamora. Liked Zoe's representation but wish it had been a bit more true to the comics, but that is probably more the writes fault.

AoU: Amazing, heart wrenching. (I seriously hope that something is done to rectify this a la Infinity Gauntely!!!)

I'll edit once i see Ant-Man

As the trailers came out ech seemed to bring more humor and it led me to believe that this one was going more for that comedy routine more then the others including Galaxy. Am I right? I will admit to loln the 1st time I saw trailer with Thomas the Train clip.

Anyone that didn't let out a slight guffaw at that needs to get their sense of humour checked haha

Just finished watching it, and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. Not only was it funnier than most Marvel movies I've seen, but it addressed some of the criticisms other Marvel movies have received (collateral damage, bystander deaths not considered, etc.).

How would you rate it next to Marvel's other recent films? My family and I are still trying to decide whether to make Ant-Man our next family movie night. :ph34r:

How would you rate it next to Marvel's other recent films? My family and I are still trying to decide whether to make Ant-Man our next family movie night. :ph34r:

In terms of quality, I'd rate it somewhere between AoU and GoTG. It was definitely more like GoTG than AoU or TWS--it was funny and fairly lighthearted, but with the same sort of heart as GoTG. I don't think it was as good as GoTG, but it was far better than I expected. I was going to rent it, but I saw it in theaters and wasn't disappointed.

• 2 weeks later...

Got to the cinema to see Ant Man last night. It was really good. Funny, the action sequences were great, and the ants were awesome.

Poor Anthony though :(

Two things I think let it down slightly though...

The montage scene. Ok, so they may not have been able to avoid it, since Scott Lang did need training, but they've managed to avoid using this tired old trope for the other Marvel movies.

The crap between Hank and Hope. Why would Hank keep how his wife 'died' from his daughter to try to protect her, when she is already working with someone trying to recreate his tech, when that tech is the reason Hope's mother isn't around any longer?