Illustrations and Chapter headings

Flistr

I've enjoyed the chapters shared on Tor and am looking forward to next week for the book.  I know I'm probably not the first to notice, but the illustration for the Part One heading shows a sprocket that has nine cogs on it.  They are distributed along that sprocket in the same pattern that the nine bind points of the Basic Easton Defense are distributed.

Knowing Brandon's history of including hints/teases in the chapter headings and illustrations, I'm interested to see what is revealed.  Will there be an Ars Arcanum with additional info not found in the text for clues?  Will it be like in The Way of Kings each chapter heading illustration indicated a theme for the chapter?  What else does Brandon have up his sleeve?

• 2 weeks later...

Depends on your intent.  Remember that the lines only work if you intend them to work.

And I intend it to work bothways.

^Plus, if it is not a rithmatic line anymore it might simply do nothing. Or perhaps it does something completely different so you don't know the right intent to make it work, making it again do nothing.

I'm pretty sure that would make curved surfaces an insurmountable barrier to rithmatics.

Honestly, I am mostly curious about how lines work on spherical surfaces. Draw an equator.

Is it a line of forbiddance? Is it a line of warding? It's BOTH!

the line is no longer straight and there for loses effectiveness as a line of forbidance.

Is that all of them?  I could have sworn there was some sort of ultra-controversial Blad defense as well.  It used four semicircular lines of warding, I think?

I thought there was art of that - I'm away from my books, but it was just like, sprinkled into the page.

Edited by Phantom Monstrosity

Is that all of them?  I could have sworn there was some sort of ultra-controversial Blad defense as well.  It used four semicircular lines of warding, I think?

I thought there was art of that - I'm away from my books, but it was just like, sprinkled into the page.

The Blad defense is not featured in the illustrations but it is mentioned briefly at the end of the fifth chapter, when Joel is trying to get Fitch to take Him as a student/ward/thing. I was kind of disappointed by this, as it left me with out some useful information on conics and "four disjointed ellipsoid segments."

Edited by Tarontos