What Are You Reading, Part 2

Chaos

Well I did it. I FINALLY finished WoT. It took me a little over a year mainly because of several breaks I took. There were even a few times I almost gave up (around book 7 I think). I read the last 5 back to back though. As a whole I really liked the series. The scope of the series was amazing. Individually it felt like a real chore just getting through some of the books. If I had one criticism it would be the amount of characters with only a handful being likable at all. I think Brandon did an amazing job finishing it up. That had to have been a daunting task like another painter finishing their inspirations masterpiece.  The last book was just WOW! I like how it ended (well an ending) still leaving some question unanswered. Only minor criticism (and man I cannot believe I am saying this after gripping how slow the story was going) is some of the major plot lines/events seemed really rushed in the final book. All in all I am glad I invested the time and did not give up. 

Now I am starting Red Rising after hearing a lot of praise. 

On 16/09/2016 at 4:27 AM, Eki said:

Is there any book where the current story arch wraps up in a nice way?

In either case, I'm glad I read the book. As I said, the worldbuilding was great, and it's nice to finally get all the "walk without rhythm" references!

I would recommend against reading Brian Herbert and KJA's last two books of the series. They are horrendous. 

I have 700 pages of Lovecraftian horror to read.

I am half-way through the Black Prism

I reread Goblet of fire

Almost done Warbreaker again

Read Spiderman-Venomous, Another collection of Amazing Spiderman comics and reread Forever Evil.

Going to start working on the rest of the Septimus Heap series (Queste onwards)

And going to start reading Wyrmeweald-Bloodhoney

Finished Christie Golden's Lord of the Clans - once again, an alright book. Like Day of the Dragon I probably wouldn't recommend it to people who are not fans of the Warcraft universe. The Last Guardian, which is what I am reading now, is a little more promising, but that might be because I am very partial to some of the characters there. 

About halfway through Interesting Times, the second to last of the Wizards books in the discworld. 

.....which means I've almost completely finished the Discworld..... 

Next is Shadow of the Torturer, I've heard it's on par with Dune, so I'm looking forward to it. 

Ive got a ton more books waiting for me, and I plan on getting through them as quickly as I can. 

9 hours ago, LeftVash said:

About halfway through Interesting Times, the second to last of the Wizards books in the discworld. 

.....which means I've almost completely finished the Discworld..... 

Next is Shadow of the Torturer, I've heard it's on par with Dune, so I'm looking forward to it. 

Ive got a ton more books waiting for me, and I plan on getting through them as quickly as I can. 

Gene Wolfe is a true master of words. Enjoy

I've been rather slowly rereading Lightbringer, since the 4th volume comes out on the 25th. I reread The Black Prism a while ago, then started The Blinding Knife but kind of forgot about it and moved on to other stuff. I picked TBK back up last week or thereabouts and just started over. Now I'm on to The Broken Eye.

still haven't managed to read the Abhorsen trilogy. I'm not sure why I can never quite get into it (it's all circumstantial: every time I start, I read the beginning, then get sidetracked by things in life that take me away from my reading, and then just don't feel like going back to it when I go to pick up a book again).

City of Stairs,not very far in, but it seems promising.

Finished Books of Blood 1-3, I didnt enjoy every single story, but it was a good read. I think I shall pick up Weaveworld some day, it looks interesting.

And then I really need to read The Broken Eye before The Blood Mirror comes out...

Finished Marked in Flesh, the most recent of Anne Bishop's Others series. Now to wait for book 5...

I've also started my loooooong-delayed re-read of the entire Skulduggery Pleasant series so that I can finally read book 9 without thinking, "Wait, who's this slontze again??" every chapter because I've forgotten everything that came before.

Recently picked up the V for Vendetta graphic novel from the library and will be working on that intermittently between Skulduggery Pleasant and The Row, which I still need to finish and review.

Done with The Last Guardian. I definitely liked it better than the previous books in the series, though its plot and characters both continue to be somewhat... basic. Which is not necessarily a bad thing, it makes for a light read, but it kind of requires the reader to already be invested in the universe, otherwise there is little of interest.

I am reading Of Blood and Honor now.

Finished Golden Son. Really enjoyed it but man what a depressing ending. My only small gripe with this series (which is in no way limited to these books) is  humanity has achieved interplanetary travel and colonization but people are still killing each other with close range melee weapons. Sure they are more complex than a broad sword or cudgel but we do not even use melee weapons in current times as a first resort. I guess Sci-Fi writers like to ride on the light saber's coattails (which I consider a little different because so few people use them in the Star Wars universe and yeah they are badass). Anyway really a small thing just an observation I have had with a few authors. Really great books and will start Morning Star right away. 

Just finished Red Rising and I'm trying to borrow Golden Sun. Also have The Sword of Shannara and The Aeronaut's Windlass, open, while The Lies of Locke Lamora, Cloud Atlas, and several Star Wars books (Revan, The Last Jedi, Crosscurrent, Riptide) are on the Kindle ready for me.

I also have the Suicide Squad volumes 4-5 to read (the "comics").

jW