What Are You Reading, Part 2

Chaos

Finally got around to starting The Martian.  been meaning to since I got it for Christmas, but had other priorities, then didn't feel like reading much for a while.  so far I like it.  the actual prose isn't doing much for me, but I like the story and the details he puts into the devices and such.

@Pestis the Spider I recommend the Heartstrikers series by Rachel Aaron that I mentioned above, Soul of Smoke by Caitlyn McFarland if you want a love story along with your dragons, Talon by Julie Kagawa, Tui T Sutherland's Wings of Fire series if you enjoy MG fiction... You've probably already read Chris Paolini's Inheritance Cycle, but I'll mention it just in case. Another one of my favorites (though it's a standalone rather than a series) is Dragon Rider by Cornelia Funke. The Adventurers Wanted series by Mark Forman is also good, although starting that one right now might not be a good idea since the 5th book has been postponed until further notice. Fablehaven by Brandon Mull has dragons in it too, although they're not the main focus of the series, but Brandon is coming out with a sequel series next year called Dragonwatch, which (as you can tell from the title) will be more focused on dragons.

So, it's been a while since my last update. Almost three months, in fact. Because I've been reading Steven Erickson's Fall of Light, the second Malazan prequel. It took me three months to read less than 900 pages. You can decide for yourselves whether I would recommend this... 

On a lighter note, I also read Mark Lawrence's last book in The Red Queen's War series, The Wheel of Osheim. And I liked it a lot. If you've read (and liked) the previous books in the trilogy, you will like this one as well.

19 hours ago, Pestis the Spider said:

Maybe it's the wrong topic to ask for it, but...

I really want to read a good book with dragons in it. Anyone any suggestions? I'd be grateful.

I haven't read it yet, but I've heard good things about The Summer Dragon. The author is also an illustrator, so the cover art is 100% book accurate for once, since the author himself did it. Also, I believe that there are quite a few interior illustrations.

I am about midway through The Lies Of Locke Lamora and I am really enjoying it.

Anyway, opinions on Clive Barker anyone? I need to pick up some horror after I finished everything you can actually find by Thomas Ligotti.

Edited by Morzathoth

20 hours ago, Pestis the Spider said:

Maybe it's the wrong topic to ask for it, but...

I really want to read a good book with dragons in it. Anyone any suggestions? I'd be grateful.

If you want to go old school, try the Dragonriders of Pern series by Anne McCaffrey.  They're fantastic, up through All the Weyrs of Pern (and OK, I do love Masterharper of Pern, too), but after that her son Todd starts writing and it just sort of reads like bad fanfic.

20 minutes ago, Kaymyth said:

If you want to go old school, try the Dragonriders of Pern series by Anne McCaffrey.  They're fantastic, up through All the Weyrs of Pern (and OK, I do love Masterharper of Pern, too), but after that her son Todd starts writing and it just sort of reads like bad fanfic.

I read the first trilogy and the Harper trilogy... They're okay. There's not a big bad, the relationships feel based on a mix of trust and lust rather than love, and it was a trope starter. If you don't mind those, read on. 

5 hours ago, DSC01 said:

I haven't read it yet, but I've heard good things about The Summer Dragon. The author is also an illustrator, so the cover art is 100% book accurate for once, since the author himself did it. Also, I believe that there are quite a few interior illustrations.

This book looks good. Thanks a lot!

Reading Lord Of The Rings!  Such good writing. I've tried reading it before, when I was younger, but I couldn't finish it. So I'm reading it again. Actually reminds me of some of the ancient/medieval writing I read for history last year.

2 minutes ago, Renoux said:

Reading Lord Of The Rings!  Such good writing. I've tried reading it before, when I was younger, but I couldn't finish it. So I'm reading it again. Actually reminds me of some of the ancient/medieval writing I read for history last year.

Huh, I'm reading that too :huh:

39 minutes ago, Daniyah said:

Huh, I'm reading that too :huh:

I've seen the movies, and while there are some differences, they did remarkably well in keeping the general idea going. I did find, however, that Merry's character in the books was a lot more serious, while his character in the movies was closer to Pippin's.

3 hours ago, Sunbird said:

Re: LOTR, I was just disappointed when Boromir's famous line "One does not simply walk into Mordor" wasn't in the books. XD

The movie absolutely failed my fav chara

Faramir. He is never once tempted by Ring and is the absolute opp of his brother and yet in TTT they ruined it by having him be tempted ugh