Chaos

What Are You Reading, Part 2

4,626 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Unhinged said:

I didn't get it, for some reason Amazon didn't list it as pre order-able (must have been an error). I admit much to my shame I haven't been keeping track of when white sand comes out so I didn't bother to check B&N.com which would have given me the correct dates so I thought it was out already oops:o

Oh ok. I'm glad I'm not just delusional. XD

Also, I have finally begun to read The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy after having had it on my Kindle for only a few years...

Finished Safehold 2 onto 3 now. This series is so popcorn but it is so fun to read

Dancer's Lament by Ian C Esslemont.

If he can stick the landing, this will easily be his best one yet.

1 hour ago, Orlion Determined said:

One of my favorite book universes 

Whiskeyjack and Dalanar would be such good friends 

I just finished A Memory of Light.

Wow.

Not sure what to read next, but it's looking to be between Red Mars, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and Steelheart.
But just wow.

Recently started reading MetaWars by Jeff Norton

as well as Wyrmewealde by Chris Riddel and Paul Stewart

Not to mention I am finishing Alcatraz. My plate is definitely full :) 

Finished Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy today--unexpectedly, I might add. My Kindle's progress bar said I still had 40% of the book left, but it turned out that all that was just a huge long Afterword. *facepalm*

Like this, but x20:

0d27c1f870aaa7f3e32afa11ba8561f7.jpg

I also started Rick Riordan's latest book, The Hidden Oracle. I find the haikus at the start of every chapter quite amusing. Kind of makes up for the lack of snarky chapter titles when Percy is telling the story.

Edited by Sunbird

48 minutes ago, Sunbird said:

Finished Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy today--unexpectedly, I might add. My Kindle's progress bar said I still had 40% of the book left, but it turned out that all that was just a huge long Afterword. *facepalm*

Like this, but x20:

Reveal hidden contents

0d27c1f870aaa7f3e32afa11ba8561f7.jpg

I also started Rick Riordan's latest book, The Hidden Oracle. I find the haikus at the start of every chapter quite amusing. Kind of makes up for the lack of snarky chapter titles when Percy is telling the story.

I was very surprised upon finishing the Return of the King at 50ish% before I realized there were like 6 appendices. :P

6 minutes ago, Mailliw73 said:

I was very surprised upon finishing the Return of the King at 50ish% before I realized there were like 6 appendices. :P

I guess that's not unusual for Tolkien... XD

I downloaded my WorldCon voting packet yesterday.

I...have rather a lot of things that I need to read now.

On 6/18/2016 at 5:20 PM, SamsonSeaBorn said:

One of my favorite book universes 

Whiskeyjack and Dalanar would be such good friends 

Certainly! 

And it'd be fun to see Hoid and Kruppe try to drive each other mad...

So I finished The Clash of Civilizations by Sammuel Huntington. I'm about half-way through League of Dragons the final Temeraire book. After that...Eh, well I have the first two volumes of Tokyo Ghoul on my shelf, a Modesitt, and a book I just picked up because it looked somewhat interesting.

On 6/18/2016 at 4:00 PM, Orlion Determined said:

I finished the main series earlier this year.  should really look into the other books

2 hours ago, Dunkum said:

I finished the main series earlier this year.  should really look into the other books

Start with blood follows,  its kinda hard to find but it is technically the first novella I think and it paints an interesting picture of Bauchelain and Korbal Broach well at least expands on their story

29 minutes ago, SamsonSeaBorn said:

Start with blood follows,  its kinda hard to find but it is technically the first novella I think and it paints an interesting picture of Bauchelain and Korbal Broach well at least expands on their story

You can actually find the first three Bauchelain and Korbal Broach novellas in one convenient trade paperback rather easily! 

Though I, personally, would suggest reading Night of Knives by Esslemont.

23 hours ago, Sunbird said:

I guess that's not unusual for Tolkien... XD

I hope you still read them. I love the appendices. :D

For audiobook, I'm listening to Mad Ship, the middle Live Ship Robin Hobb book.

For paperbooks, I'm re-reading the first Alcatraz after having just finished the second book from The Sorrowful Mysteries with Brother Athelstan by Paul C. Doherty. I am also reading a poker book. :)

I really liked Live Ship, but I had trouble getting into The Rain Wild Chronicles. I gave up partway through Dragon Keeper. I've read all the other Elderlings books, though.

Anyway, I just finished Winter's Heart, so it's on to the infamous Crossroads of Twilight. I still like it, myself. Besides, when it's done, Knife of Dreams picks up the pace, and The Gathering Storm through A Memory of Light is basically a 2,500-page avalanche.

Started reading Unhinged by AG Howard today. It's my first time reading a book on the Overdrive smartphone app (none of my libraries' e-catalogs had my preferred Kindle format), and I'm a little annoyed that there seems to be no way to track my progress through the book. It gives "page x out of y" for each chapter, but not for the book as a whole. I'm enjoying the story, though.

Re-reading an old favorite, William Shakespeare's Tragedy of the Sith's Revenge by Ian Doescher. If you haven't discovered the genius of William Shakespeare's Star Wars, get your hands on a copy and start reading! (I suggest reading them in movie release order--A New Hope, Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi, Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones, Revenge of the Sith.) They are both clever and hilarious.

I'm mostly reading comic books these days. The latest purchases? The Flash, Green Arrow, Action Comics and Wonder Woman.

On 6/21/2016 at 11:55 PM, DSC01 said:

I really liked Live Ship, but I had trouble getting into The Rain Wild Chronicles. I gave up partway through Dragon Keeper. I've read all the other Elderlings books, though.

Anyway, I just finished Winter's Heart, so it's on to the infamous Crossroads of Twilight. I still like it, myself. Besides, when it's done, Knife of Dreams picks up the pace, and The Gathering Storm through A Memory of Light is basically a 2,500-page avalanche.

I liked the Rain Wild Chronicles, at first, but I was sadden when the story ended up into a pesky love triangle... I was not fond of it and I wished other aspects of the story were better explored. Still, it was good to see Malta again.

Binge-read Night Speed by Chris Howard today. I thought it was pretty awesome.

The psychedelic cover fits the story perfectly too:

26074199.jpg

I've been reading some sci fi nothing all that great. Tried Ancilary Justice and just couldn't get in to it. 

Finished League of Dragons it was decent. I enjoyed the first few books of the series a lot more than the last. 

Started A Crown of Swords again and seems to be sticking this time. I started a stopped this a few times I think it was the extremely long epilogue that I kept me from getting in to it but a few chapters in now and It is going pretty well. My goal is to finish the series this year which isn't that huge if a task but I usually read a couple books at the same time and it can get easy to get distracted.