What Are You Reading, Part 2

Chaos

I agree about the Dragonmount scene, but it was late in the coming. In between book 6 and book 12, Rand was a painful to read character: many readers shared the sentient. This being said, Jordan was smart about it, so he focused more on the other characters. It made the strength of the series, the fact the main protagonists could rotate from one book to another: it truly gave an epic sense to the story. Had it focused only on Rand, it wouldn't have been as interesting, IMHO.

Nah it is Fall 2017, but that is if Brandon can finish the first draft before the end of the summer. He is at 52% and it took him a whole year to get there, so Fall 2017 seems a very optimistic date. 2018 seems a safer bet, even if horribly far away.

Keep in mind, Rand's character remains static for like 6 months of in-universe time (and he's not so much static as his character slowly gets worse and worse). Not much time elapses at all after the first couple of books--and part of the amount of time elapsed in those is a 3-month jump due to Portal Stone mishap--but we're following so many characters that it seems like a really long time. 

I am pretty despondent myself about the pace of SA releases. I hope that it picks up at some point because 4 years between books is way too long. Yes, I love the Cosmere as a whole, but Stormlight is my favorite series in the bunch, and reading a new Mistborn novel occasionally isn't the same thing as getting a new volume of SA.

In other news, I'm now reading The Path of Daggers.

So a possible 4 year gap between Stormlight Archive books...not a fan of that possibility and what it could mean for the future of Cosmere novels.

Keep in mind, Rand's character remains static for like 6 months of in-universe time (and he's not so much static as his character slowly gets worse and worse). Not much time elapses at all after the first couple of books--and part of the amount of time elapsed in those is a 3-month jump due to Portal Stone mishap--but we're following so many characters that it seems like a really long time. 

I am pretty despondent myself about the pace of SA releases. I hope that it picks up at some point because 4 years between books is way too long. Yes, I love the Cosmere as a whole, but Stormlight is my favorite series in the bunch, and reading a new Mistborn novel occasionally isn't the same thing as getting a new volume of SA.

In other news, I'm now reading The Path of Daggers.

Yes I agree about Rand: it was a rather short lapse of time, in world. The problem is, from the readers perspective, it lasted a very long time. I agree it is understandable and justifiable, but somehow this particular story arc had for effect of having many readers morph from favoring Rand to favoring basically anyone else.

This being said, I absolutely love WoT: this was a minor irritating factor. I mean no books is ever perfect.

Onto the release pace of SA, I also agree 4 years in between tomes, especially the early tomes of a lengthy epic fantasy series is way too long. The release of additional Cosmere books does not help tide in the Stormlight Archive fans. Already, I have seen many loosing interest because it does seem as if book 3 hasn't progressed at all since last December (I know some who have left the fandom for this very reason: they couldn't foresee when the next book would be released and the lack of progress on it discouraged them). It seems as if Brandon is taking break from writing it every two months or so to work on something else. We all understand he needs side-projects to stay fresh, but it feels as if the side projects have now taken up most of the place. I'm glad we are getting a novella, but he took a break from writing SA to write it: I would have rather read SA3 six months earlier then reading a novella.

So all in all, the pace has to pick up if SA is to deliver on its promises. Maybe there is something I do not understand when it comes to writing books, but as a reader, 4 years in between tomes is just too long to keep the interest as high. 

Yes I agree about Rand: it was a rather short lapse of time, in world. The problem is, from the readers perspective, it lasted a very long time. I agree it is understandable and justifiable, but somehow this particular story arc had for effect of having many readers morph from favoring Rand to favoring basically anyone else.

Yea, this pretty much sums up my feelings on it.  the overall character arc is understandable, but it seems like it takes forever, and while he is in the downward spiral it is almost painful to read his chapters

Yea, this pretty much sums up my feelings on it.  the overall character arc is understandable, but it seems like it takes forever, and while he is in the downward spiral it is almost painful to read his chapters

Yes. Sometimes I fear Kaladin's story arc in SA will end up the same... I sure hope Brandon took notes on what didn't work out with Rand and will not apply it to his own work.

Edited by maxal

4 hours ago, Zea mays said:

League of Dragons is out today. :D

Even in that Universe, Bony can't win forever.

!!! Thank you for reminding me of this release date! *runs to put it on hold at the library*

Also, finished reading Splintered by AG Howard (a fresh but rather twisted take on Alice in Wonderland) and Riders by Veronica Rossi (four Horsemen of the Apocalypse) today. I quite enjoyed both of them and am looking forward to the next books in both series. :)

Next up is Clan Ground by Clare Bell.

Finished The Left Hand of Darkness! It was good, but sometimes it felt like it avoided some issues regarding gender, etc.

Of course the book was primarily from only two perspectives, so it couldn't really deal with everything I wanted it to deal with. Still, it gave me lots to think about!

4 hours ago, Eki said:

Finished The Left Hand of Darkness! It was good, but sometimes it felt like it avoided some issues regarding gender, etc.

Of course the book was primarily from only two perspectives, so it couldn't really deal with everything I wanted it to deal with. Still, it gave me lots to think about!

there is a couple separate short stories set on that planet in some of LeGuin's short story compilations that take on a bit more of those concepts: "Winter's King" and "Coming of Age in Karhide"

2 hours ago, Dunkum said:

there is a couple separate short stories set on that planet in some of LeGuin's short story compilations that take on a bit more of those concepts: "Winter's King" and "Coming of Age in Karhide"

Oh, cool! (because it's Winter)

I might try to check those out later, but I think my next Le Guin will be the second Earthsea book.

3 minutes ago, Eki said:

Oh, cool! (because it's Winter)

I might try to check those out later, but I think my next Le Guin will be the second Earthsea book.

also a good choice.  just recommended that series to a friend of mine, actually.

I just tried to read the Dresden files but I read till about midway through book six and I got so depressed that I gave up on them then I made the mistake/good decision of screwing around on TV tropes for a while and I confirmed that things only get worse so I've put the series down for now I might or might not try to continue with it but at this point even the idea of a reanimated T rex can't make up for what I know is coming.

I think I'm going to go buy a copy of white sand before banes and noble closes I need some Sanderson to pick me up. 

On 6/15/2016 at 1:01 PM, Daniyah said:

Started White Sand today :)

37 minutes ago, Unhinged said:

I just tried to read the Dresden files but I read till about midway through book six and I got so depressed that I gave up on them then I made the mistake/good decision of screwing around on TV tropes for a while and I confirmed that things only get worse so I've put the series down for now I might or might not try to continue with it but at this point even the idea of a reanimated T rex can't make up for what I know is coming.

I think I'm going to go buy a copy of white sand before banes and noble closes I need some Sanderson to pick me up. 

Okay, I'm really confused now... You both say you've got White Sand, but GoodReads says the release date is June 21 and Amazon says it's June 28. And I can't find a post on brandonsanderson.com with an exact release date for it. Halp?

2 minutes ago, Sunbird said:

Okay, I'm really confused now... You both say you've got White Sand, but GoodReads says the release date is June 21 and Amazon says it's June 28. And I can't find a post on brandonsanderson.com with an exact release date for it. Halp?

Well, you can get the prose version from Brandon by sending him an email, but it's an old version. The graphic novel isn't out in stores till end of June, but I don't know the exact date. 

2 minutes ago, Sunbird said:

The White Sand I am talking about is the prose re-write of Brandon's first novel, it's unpublished. You can get it by sending in an email to Brandon. If you want to know more, here's the link http://coppermind.net/wiki/White_Sand_(prose)

13 minutes ago, Sunbird said:

I didn't get it, for some reason Amazon didn't list it as pre order-able (must have been an error). I admit much to my shame I haven't been keeping track of when white sand comes out so I didn't bother to check B&N.com which would have given me the correct dates so I thought it was out already oops:o