What Are You Reading, Part 2

Chaos

I finished Witches Abroad. It was a great Witches book, although much longer than the other ones I've read in the subseries. It was very enjoyable, and I'm realizing how powerful the themes in the Wtiches and Nightwatch series really are. I didn't notice them at first every time, but now that I am, they're very very good.

I started Blood of Tyrants, the second to last Temeraire book. It feels like Novik tried very hard to bring back the Victorian epic feel of the first two books that got a little lost through the middle of the series. I like that, but it also means I'll probably read it slower than I have the past several books in the series.

As soon as I finish Blood of Tyrants I want to hop into Otherland, a series by Tad Williams that I somehow never really knew existed. I adored Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn, so I'm hoping that Tad will give me another excellent series to enjoy.

I'm also in the middle of a re-read of the manga D.gray-Man, although I've had to put it on hold for a week or so because of how busy I've been. Hopefully I'll be able to get a few tankoban read over the next couple days.
At some point I'm going to be reading Good Omens by Pratchett and Gaiman, but it'll have to wait till after Otherland, so it'll be a few weeks.
I really need to find an audio book to listen to....I might try and get the audio version of The Magic Strings of Frankie Presto by Mitch Albom that my library has.

I'm currently halfway through Tigana. Not liking it as much as Lions of Al-Rassan yet, though that might change. 

What should I read next? I'm debating between Jim Butcher(either Dresden Files or Codex Alera), Game of Thrones, Brian Stavely, Night Angel by Brent Weeks, Wesley Chu, or Sailing through Sarantium(GGK). Any ideas?

Edited by Mailliw73

I'm currently halfway through Tigana. Not liking it as much as Lions of Al-Rassan yet, though that might change. 

What should I read next? I'm debating between Jim Butcher(either Dresden Files or Codex Alera), Game of Thrones, Brian Stavely, Night Angel by Brent Weeks, Wesley Chu, or Sailing through Sarantium(GGK). Any ideas?

Jim Butcher!! Although I haven't finished reading the entire Codex Alera yet, I would say that the two books I have read are higher quality than some of the Dresden Files books. (I've read all of those that have been released so far.) Not to say that the Dresden Files isn't a great series too, but some books are better than others. (My favorites are Dead Beat, Proven Guilty, Turn Coat, and Skin Game.)

I Love Codex Alera. (huge Butcher fanboy) Like his Dresden Files they really pick up after book 2.  I think #3 and #6 are my favorites but there is plenty of awesome to go around.  If you've never seen a video of Butcher at a writer's panel give the story behind the Codex Alera's inspiration, you should browse the Youtubes. It is hilarious, he is a really great storyteller. (as to be expected in a writer of his caliber)

I heard him tell the story of how the Dresden Files came to be last year at a convention, but I haven't heard the Codex Alera origin story! I'll have to go find that.

Edited by Sunbird

Can't really go wrong with anything here. 

Currently about halfway through Shadow Scale, the sequel to Rachel Hartman's Seraphina. It's been sitting on my shelf for literally a year since I bought it and got it signed. Also working on the third book in Ursula Le Guin's Earthsea series, The Farthest Shore. I'm 60% through with that one. This series has some seriously beautiful prose.

I started going through the 'I am pilgrim' audio book.

Its a little long winded, as most spy thriller books are 10 or so hours, and this one is 20.  But its interesting in its own right.

I did try to go through the star carrier series, but I was very turned off by that first novel.  I was waiting for something to happen, to make me like something about that universe.  The society, the technology, character attitudes, main character, secondary character, love interest.  But I'm 2/3 of the way through the book, and I haven't found anything to latch onto.  Talked with the person who recommended it to me, and we came to the conclusion, that maybe audio books aren't the best format for that novel series.  So I picked up the ebook last night, and started going through it.  We'll see how it does in print form over the other form.

Edited by mattig89ch

I made further headway in the Temeraire world. I can't really stop reading a book series. How is that done? Maybe if it's utterly crappy and terrible... I think Eragon is the one book series I dropped.

Anyway. Finished Victory of Eagles last night, and may take a breather before the next book, Tongue of Serpents (I was planning to take a breather after Empire of Ivory and then  - that ending happened). Who am I kidding, I'll probably be deep into book 6 this time tomorrow. The only really tough decision is whether to read or listen to it.

Wrapped up Hogfather. I couldn't think of much to say in my review, but it was a great book. The entire Death Discworld sub-series is turning out to be the best, hands down. 

I am now reading Thief of Time, the last one in the sub-series. After it I'll go find whatever short stories I've missed and call my reread done. I know I haven't touched Tiffany Aching, but her series always felt a bit... extra. Not true Discworld. I'll read it, but a little later into the year, after I catch up on some other novels I've been meaning to catch up on.

I'm the same way with series I almost always have to finish once I start.

Speaking of that almost done with the last riyria revelations book. Really enjoyed these books and looking forward to the conclusion.

After that I think I'm going to re-read The Magicians books. The tv show has me so confused I can't remember exactly how everything went down in the books.

I made further headway in the Temeraire world. I can't really stop reading a book series. How is that done? Maybe if it's utterly crappy and terrible... I think Eragon is the one book series I dropped.

Anyway. Finished Victory of Eagles last night, and may take a breather before the next book, Tongue of Serpents (I was planning to take a breather after Empire of Ivory and then  - that ending happened). Who am I kidding, I'll probably be deep into book 6 this time tomorrow. The only really tough decision is whether to read or listen to it.

haven't tried temeraire, but I am with you on having trouble stopping a series.  I think I only managed with Redwall, and that mostly only because I started it on a whim as an adult, and one of my books was misprinted so it was missing something like 30 pages.  on the other hand, the worst series I have ever read,the Godwars by Angus Wells, I went through the entire trilogy despite the fact that the writing somehow managed to get worse with each successive book

I'm kind of the opposite; lots of times I will read the first book in a series and add the second one to my "to-read" list and never get around to it. Or it will take me months and months to get around to it. I kind of jump around from series to series spastically based on what's available from my library, what book signings are going on near me, and the phase of the moon.

There are, however, some authors and series that I follow pretty religiously. Brandon Mull, for example. I started reading his latest "Five Kingdoms" book, Death Weavers, today, and have been absolutely delighted so far. I totally turned into a squealing fangirl earlier when I ran into some old character friends that I hadn't thought I was going to see again. (If I say anything more specific, it'll get awfully spoilery.)

After that I think I'm going to re-read The Magicians books. The tv show has me so confused I can't remember exactly how everything went down in the books.

They did make significant changes in the show - though the primary plot is still very much there.

They did make significant changes in the show - though the primary plot is still very much there.

Yeah I have actually enjoyed the show but keep thinking "thats not how it happened".  I don't want to spoil anything but for instance the last episode what happened to Penny I know it was the same outcome in the books but I do not even remember how it happened in the books. It's things like that have me scratching my head. Of course this is the same for me as GoT. 

I'm reading Second Foundation. Read the first two in the trilogy before that. Read VALIS before that one, and read Childhood's End before VALIS. Trying to catch up my reading since I haven't read many "classics".

Speaking of reading, while I highly doubt it I wonder if Brandon has ever played ever17--or at least knows of the significant plot details--because I'm curious to know when the Cosmere will begin its own Coco route.

Finished Death Weavers today, and it was awesome! My favorite installment in the Five Kingdoms series so far.

Next on my list is The Row by JR Johansson. It won't be actually released until October, but Jenn was at Salt Lake Comic Con giving away ARCs, so I snagged one. :D (My first ARC ever! I never win the giveaways on GoodReads.) I expect to kept in suspense the whole time I'm reading it, if my experience with her Night Walkers series is at all representative of her writing.

Currently making my way through Foundation and enjoying it. Each novel convinces me that Asimov never really left short stories behind. I like the serialized nature of the novels, though.

I would like to know what people's opinion of L. E. Modesitt Jr.'s works (content level, where one would start, etc.). The lastest Writing Excuses episode is fantastically interesting because of him and I'd like to check him out.

Finished The Row today (see my post two posts up). Talk about suspense! I need to write a proper review for it...

After seeing the movie adaptation of The 5th Wave today, I've decided it's finally time to read the sequel, The Infinite Sea. Soon I'll also be starting on Cinda Williams Chima's new book, Flamecaster.

I would like to know what people's opinion of L. E. Modesitt Jr.'s works (content level, where one would start, etc.). The lastest Writing Excuses episode is fantastically interesting because of him and I'd like to check him out.

L.E. Modesitt has some very strong points, and some very weak points. His early writing is just bad, both Sci-fi and fantasy. The stories and themes might be okay, but they are buried underneath horrible writing. His quality improved in the mid to late nineties or so, although to this day I still think he needs a better editor.

The world building in his worlds is pretty good to first class. The magic systems in his fantasy are good, and aren't purely soft magic systems, but aren't necessarily Hard systems either. His sci-fi in a way takes the same approach. The advanced tech can do cool things, but there are limits placed on everything, so there is a feeling of realism and limitation that doesn't always appear in science fiction.

His content levels for the past twenty years are pg-13. Some language, some hinting around sex scenes, but rarely anything explicit or inappropriate in any way. Some of his very old sci fi had more explicit sex, but it's not as intense as say the Felurian scenes in The Name of the Wind. I know there's some f-bombs in the Spellsong Sorceress series, and in some of the early sci fi.

I would recommend starting with the Imager Portfolio, a fantasy series that feels almost Sanderson esque. Currently there's a trilogy, then a prequel series, then a stand alone set in between the two. I would recommend reading in order of publication.

The Corean Chronicles are a decent fantasy series, but might not be what you should start with.

I would stay away from the Recluse books, even though they're his most famous, because the first ones are written SO badly, and they don't follow a continuing plot.

For science fiction, try The Octagonal Raven, Haze, or the Ecolitan series. Ecolitan starts with the Ecolitan Prime omnibus, and is followed by a distant sequel in the Ecolitan and Empire omnibus.

All of his books are very philosophical in nature, with heavy tones of social, cultural, political, or economic critique. It can be annoying, or it can be really interesting. I really enjoy Modesitt's work, and have read a majority of it.

Finished Dresden Files #2. Yes, it was meh. Not that good. Hope things get good from 3rd book.

I haven't even finished two, but I'm going to start quoting the Dresden fans and beat them to the punch.

"About midway through book three things start getting Badchull, flipping Awesome!!" "It really picks up after book three, from good to fantastic!"

"I'm going to propose marriage to the Dresden files, the books past three were just so beautiful and awesome".

*Bows and exits before the Dresden fandom can kill me for teasing them* :lol::D:ph34r:

I haven't even finished two, but I'm going to start quoting the Dresden fans and beat them to the punch.

"About midway through book three things start getting Badchull, flipping Awesome!!" "It really picks up after book three, from good to fantastic!"

"I'm going to propose marriage to the Dresden files, the books past three were just so beautiful and awesome".

*Bows and exits before the Dresden fandom can kill me for teasing them* :lol::D:ph34r:

This is not teasing, this is merely stating Truth. :P

L.E. Modesitt has some very strong points, and some very weak points. His early writing is just bad, both Sci-fi and fantasy. The stories and themes might be okay, but they are buried underneath horrible writing. His quality improved in the mid to late nineties or so, although to this day I still think he needs a better editor.

The world building in his worlds is pretty good to first class. The magic systems in his fantasy are good, and aren't purely soft magic systems, but aren't necessarily Hard systems either. His sci-fi in a way takes the same approach. The advanced tech can do cool things, but there are limits placed on everything, so there is a feeling of realism and limitation that doesn't always appear in science fiction.

His content levels for the past twenty years are pg-13. Some language, some hinting around sex scenes, but rarely anything explicit or inappropriate in any way. Some of his very old sci fi had more explicit sex, but it's not as intense as say the Felurian scenes in The Name of the Wind. I know there's some f-bombs in the Spellsong Sorceress series, and in some of the early sci fi.

I would recommend starting with the Imager Portfolio, a fantasy series that feels almost Sanderson esque. Currently there's a trilogy, then a prequel series, then a stand alone set in between the two. I would recommend reading in order of publication.

The Corean Chronicles are a decent fantasy series, but might not be what you should start with.

I would stay away from the Recluse books, even though they're his most famous, because the first ones are written SO badly, and they don't follow a continuing plot.

For science fiction, try The Octagonal Raven, Haze, or the Ecolitan series. Ecolitan starts with the Ecolitan Prime omnibus, and is followed by a distant sequel in the Ecolitan and Empire omnibus.

All of his books are very philosophical in nature, with heavy tones of social, cultural, political, or economic critique. It can be annoying, or it can be really interesting. I really enjoy Modesitt's work, and have read a majority of it.

Thanks for the extremely thorough report!