What Are You Reading, Part 2

Chaos

On the second book of the Unhewn Throne trilogy. I like it, it has a good story, but I do find it hard to get through at some times. Everyone and everything is just so...miserable. I know the world is a dark place, but everything in this series just seems to want to suck the life and hope out of me and the characters. I'll finish the trilogy and see how it ends up, but if it doesn't let up at some point I can't say that it will be one of my favorites.

The entire Unhewn Throne trilogy is a bit on the dark side, at least as far as smaller plotlines are concerned. It has its ups, but most pages are on the down side.

The entire Unhewn Throne trilogy is a bit on the dark side, at least as far as smaller plotlines are concerned. It has its ups, but most pages are on the down side.

Yeah I've found I need to take a break every now and then to readjust myself. My brother is highly recommending The Name of the Wind so I'll probably pick that up when I'm done with these. Hopefully it's a bit of a pallet cleanser for all the hopeless despair and misery.

Yeah I've found I need to take a break every now and then to readjust myself. My brother is highly recommending The Name of the Wind so I'll probably pick that up when I'm done with these. Hopefully it's a bit of a pallet cleanser for all the hopeless despair and misery.

The Name of the Wind is a... it's a beautiful book. I wouldn't call it either cheerful or depressing - it has a bit of both, but above all it's a piece of wordsmithery (which my Chrome recognizes as an actual word...). 

The Name of the Wind is a... it's a beautiful book. I wouldn't call it either cheerful or depressing - it has a bit of both, but above all it's a piece of wordsmithery (which my Chrome recognizes as an actual word...). 

Better in the middle than sliding inexorably into depression.  ;) 

Why does it bother you so much?

I'm just poking fun at you because I was so amused by how angry it made Alcatraz, the idea that anyone would skip to the end of a book. I'm not really bothered by it; I just couldn't resist making jokes about it since I love Alcatraz to death.

I finished the Andromeda Strain, and though I enjoyed it, I did have a few issues with it. Crichton goes on and on about the amazing technology they have, but it doesn't really seem all that amazing to me, probably because it was published in 1969. Also, I didn't like the book's ending so much.

I'm about half way through The Chosen, a book about a pair of Jewish boys in New York during WWII. It's really good.

I loved the Chosen, but I'm curious. I am a Jew myself, and was wondering whether this book appealed to non-jews as well. So if you're comfortable saying- are you Jewish? And if not, what drew you to this book?

Next I'll be reading The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie

I loved the Chosen, but I'm curious. I am a Jew myself, and was wondering whether this book appealed to non-jews as well. So if you're comfortable saying- are you Jewish? And if not, what drew you to this book?

Next I'll be reading The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie

I'm not Jewish, I'm actually Mormon. I love studying other religions, and I've liked several books set during that time period. I saw it at the library, needed an audio book, so I picked it up, read the back cover and was interested.

I've started and about 300 pages through Magician by Raymond Feist. 

Think it would seem less derivative if I read it when it were written and/or after reading the Death Gate Cycle, but it has some good ideas and Riftwar lasted 30 books so I'll see what I think at the end of the book. Then I'll finally read Warbreaker, I think

I've started and about 300 pages through Magician by Raymond Feist. 

Think it would seem less derivative if I read it when it were written and/or after reading the Death Gate Cycle, but it has some good ideas and Riftwar lasted 30 books so I'll see what I think at the end of the book. Then I'll finally read Warbreaker, I think

When I first read Feist (over a decade ago), he quickly became my favorite author. Unfortunately, the quality of the books started dropping after the fourth or so, and never really picked up. I think I fell in love with the original cast of characters, so once they moved to the background and gave the spotlight to a new cast, I could never get attached to them in the same way.

There are other problems I had with this colossal series too, but I'm afraid I might influence your opinion of it if I point them out, so I won't.

I finished the Andromeda Strain, and though I enjoyed it, I did have a few issues with it. Crichton goes on and on about the amazing technology they have, but it doesn't really seem all that amazing to me, probably because it was published in 1969. Also, I didn't like the book's ending so much.

Yeah I felt the same the last time I read it, still enjoyable but very dated.

liked Sailing to Sarantium, but Tigana and Lions of Al Rassan are still the top for me. need to get around to reading Lord fo Emperors. I have it, but just haven't felt like picking it up yet

I'm halfway through and I feel the same. It's good though, I have Lord of Emperors waiting, hoping to get through both by next month.

I'm currently listening to The Jade Throne, the second book in the Temeraire series and find it rather enjoyable.

I really liked books 1-5 but after that had a hard time keeping interest.

Finished Rise of Empire the second volume of Riyria revelations. I liked it. Maybe not as much as the first volume but still good. I started the third volume and so far really liking it. Great series. Trying to decide if I continue with the prequels or take a break.

I'm currently listening to The Jade Throne, the second book in the Temeraire series and find it rather enjoyable.

I really like this series. I finished reading book #7, Crucible of Gold, recently, and thought it was an improvement over Tongues of Serpents (#7).

Started book 2 in Jim Butcher's Codex Alera today and plowed through about 70% of it. Very enjoyable so far.

I really like this series. I finished reading book #7, Crucible of Gold, recently, and thought it was an improvement over Tongues of Serpents (#7).

Started book 2 in Jim Butcher's Codex Alera today and plowed through about 70% of it. Very enjoyable so far.

Temeraire does have some lows past book two, but it did pick up well in Crucible. I'm going to start the next book in a week or two after I finish Witches Abroad.

Man, I am bad at updates.

I did finish Reaper Man and World of Warcraft: Chronicle (Volume I), the two books I was playing with in my last update. The former was a solid book, but not an amazing one. Having finished Soul Music since then, I can see that it was setting certain things up, and it was doing it well, so I can't be too picky about it. And having mentioned Soul Music, it was great. I loved Mort because it felt more... epic, I suppose, than most of Pratchett's books, but I loved Soul Music because it was just so --ing clever. Just a great insight into music and the music industry (from a couple of decades ago). 

As for the Chronicle, it was worth the money. A lot of the content in it was already known to people with more than just a passing interesting in the history of Azeroth, but it did present things in a an organized fashion, it did canonize a few things the fandom has been unclear about it, and it did have some --ing good art. 

I am now reading Hogfather.

So I finished Codex Alera #2 yesterday, and now I have a theory about Tavi...

Based on the mysterious conversation at the end of the book between Gaius and...Miles, I think, and after looking at the titles of the rest of the books in the series, I suspect that at some point it will be revealed that Tavi is Gaius's heir. Not sure how, but clearly there is a secret about him waiting to be discovered. Plus this book was titled Academ's Fury, in which Tavi was an academ. Book 3 is Cursor's Fury, in which he will presumably have completed his training and become a full Cursor. Based on this pattern, it seems reasonable to think that the rest of the titles are also referring to Tavi.

Now if you've read the whole series and know how it ends, don't spoil it for me by confirming or refuting my theory! I just had to share it with somebody who would know what I was talking about.

I Love Codex Alera. (huge Butcher fanboy) Like his Dresden Files they really pick up after book 2.  I think #3 and #6 are my favorites but there is plenty of awesome to go around.  If you've never seen a video of Butcher at a writer's panel give the story behind the Codex Alera's inspiration, you should browse the Youtubes. It is hilarious, he is a really great storyteller. (as to be expected in a writer of his caliber)