What Are You Reading, Part 2

Chaos

I once picked up Jonathan's strange, but I admit I was discouraged by the size of it  :ph34r: I am ashamed to say it. This one is a massive brick! I'll probably try it at a time when I am in a mood for something this thick.

It surely is a brick! That's one reason I'm glad I'm reading it on my Kindle. I just have to read the equivalent of 10 print pages to advance 1% on the progress bar. XD

On a slightly related note: when I read the Way of Kings for the first time, I checked out a copy from the BYU Library, and boy, was that a pain to haul around. It was the full-size hardcover edition, and there was something wrong with the library security device on it so that whenever I went through the security gates at the library, the alarm would blare at me because it thought I was trying to steal a book I hadn't checked out. That happened every single time I went in or out of the library while I was reading the book, which was at least twice every day since I work there. Eventually it got to the point where I would take the book out of my backpack long before going through the gate so I didn't have to rifle through my bag to get it out for the security staff to check. And the security staff started recognizing me and expecting the alarm to go off when I went through.

Edited by Sunbird

Perdido Street Station is weird but excellent, in my opinion. Though my favourite of Mieville's works is The City and The City

that sounds like a pretty reasonable assessment of it.  though there were definitely times where it felt...i dont know, pretentious maybe?

I'm re-reading Cinda Williams Chima's Seven Realms series to get ready for the release of Flamecaster, the first book in a followup series set some 20-ish years after the events of the Seven Realms. 1 book down, 3 to go!

Let's see, what have I shelved since my last update...

I did finish Jim C. Hines' Revisionary, the last (?) book in the Magic Ex Libris series. I feel pretty good about it - I liked the first two better, I think, but this and Unbound (the third book) were definitely solid. With the books I read I usually choose the worldbuilding or the characters as my favorite aspect, but with this one I may need to go with the... political side of things. Which is a really strange thing for me to say, but I did find Jim's idea of how things would go if a secret magical world suddenly came into the light. I liked that a lot. Oh, and I also loved the ending.

I did finish Terry Pratchett's Raising Steam next. It was disappointing, and I hate saying that about any Pratchett book. I'll just link Pat Rothfuss' review, he is much better at articulating the problems with it (though he, being the better man, is more accepting of the book's flaws).

More recently, I went through Green-eyed Vipers, a Powder Mage short story, part of the In the Field Marshal's Shadow anthology (I had read the rest of the anthology before). I am terrible at rating short stories, I just don't feel there is enough material in them for me to form an opinion, but it was a pleasant read.

And finally, Ghosts of the Tristan Basin, also a Powder Mage story by Brian McClellan. This one, being a little longer, gave me more to say in terms of review, but it still boils down to it being pretty good. Nothing about it really stood out to me, but it was a really good read overall, though maybe not for people unfamiliar with the Powder Mage universe, or at least Taniel and Ka-Poel. 

I am debating between jumping into Brian Staveley's The Last Mortal Bond, Kameron Hurley's Empire Ascendant, and Jason Denzel's Mystic. I think I am leaning towards them in this order though.

I finished The Lies of Locke Lamora which was fantastic, and am now reading the second book in the Gentleman Bastards series- Red seas under Red Skies.

Funny, I just picked up The Lies of Locke Lamora. Glad to know that you enjoyed it. I also just picked up the second Wheel of Time book, and I'm looking forward to starting them both.

Funny, I just picked up The Lies of Locke Lamora. Glad to know that you enjoyed it. I also just picked up the second Wheel of Time book, and I'm looking forward to starting them both.

Your in for a treat with both. WoT 2 is by far my fav of the series and Lies is one of the very best debute bks I've ever read.

I went for The Last Mortal Bond. Been waiting for it, and I enjoy it so far. Not that I expected anything less.

Is it better than the second one? Because I loved the first part of the series, but the second one was completely ridiculous. 

Edited by Pestis the Spider