What Are You Reading, Part 2

Chaos

I had to read Hunger Games, it was ok, one of the better books my teacher forced us to read, though she did force us to read a lot of terrible teen fiction...

In fact if it hadnt been for Frankenstein and The Metamorphosis it would have been the best book she had forced us to read. So I guess that means it is a step above other bad teen fiction... havent read the other books though, never will, dont care that much.

Anyway, reading House of Leaves at the moment. It is interesting so far.

Re: Codex Alera. I just got to the part with the herdbanes and just had to stop and go, whoaaaa, have we traveled back in time? All I could think of was the book Darkwing by Kenneth Oppel, which shows some giant freaky prehistoric predatory birds.

I FINALLY finished Codex Alera book one. Only took me over a month.

It was fine, I'll read the next one, I wasn't in love with it.

Yeah... I am struggling to punch through those last pages of the last book. Somehow, Butcher's way to describe battles takes the anticipation out of it, it isn't exciting and that last one just seems to drag one forever. The author has somehow not mastered the art to create a climax. not like Brandon does. There are few instances, in books, where I expected this climax to happen, but was disappointed it wasn't better exploited. 

The first books are better, I read them quickly enough, but the last one.... It is just one giant fight. 

Personally wasn't a fan of the way the series ended, but the first two hunger games books were decent. like you say, not the best written, but enjoyable.  the last book I didn't like much, and it kind of soured me on the series as a whole.  the movies I haven't seen, and after their stunt of splitting the final book into 2 movies, I'm going to avoid them on principle.  I hate it when hollywood does that.

I rather liked the movies, even the third one. I thought it was quite a good adaptation of the book: I can see why they split it in two. My husband who never read the books really liked the third movie. It is much better than the 3rd book, which is the weakest.

I had to read Hunger Games, it was ok, one of the better books my teacher forced us to read, though she did force us to read a lot of terrible teen fiction...

In fact if it hadnt been for Frankenstein and The Metamorphosis it would have been the best book she had forced us to read. So I guess that means it is a step above other bad teen fiction... havent read the other books though, never will, dont care that much.

Anyway, reading House of Leaves at the moment. It is interesting so far.

I wouldn't qualify Hunger Games as bad teenage fiction. The first book is pretty well wrapped up and it does managed to present the story in a plausible way. Unlike other teenage flicks, it gave proper background to the main character in order to justify her being such a thread in the arena. Most stories tend to give their characters strength which come out of nowhere, Hunger Games does well in this matter. 

I can believe Katniss is a good archer and knows how to survive in forest: she as taught by her father and she had been the sole provider for her family for 4 years now. It is plausible her skill in the matter would be unsurpassed. Her ploy to take away the Careers also was rather plausible: take away their food supply, they have no idea how to hunt for themselves. 

I can also believe the main protagonist ends up a pawn to be used and loses most of her agency as the story advances as she essentially remains a powerless teenage girl. Having the teenage kid single-handily change the world is a mistake many author makes... 

So all in all, it wasn't a bad story. I thought it was a rather good one, simple, slightly too heavy on drug abuse, but it holds itself pretty well. The main character is compelling, she has many flaws, but we get where she comes from and she certainly isn't OP. The same cannot be said of other popular YA stories.

I was pretty disappointed when one of my younger male colleagues said he wouldn't read Hunger Games because the main character was a girl... He said it wasn't mainly to read books where the main character is a girl and, as a man, he would pass for effeminate if he were to actually like a strong female protagonist  :o  :o  :o I can't believe there are individuals who still thinks this way  :(

Bk 2 is leaps better. 1 is by far the weakest imo mostly cause of the glaring Farmboy trope.

Yeah but it then morphs to another very classic trope... All in all, it isn't a very imaginative story. I get why it is popular, but it isn't overly imaginative. Some of the side characters had more potential than the author allowed them to have.

Re: Codex Alera. I just got to the part with the herdbanes and just had to stop and go, whoaaaa, have we traveled back in time? All I could think of was the book Darkwing by Kenneth Oppel, which shows some giant freaky prehistoric predatory birds.

TERROR BIRDS!!!!! I love those  :ph34r:

The author has somehow not mastered the art to create a climax

You must not have read the Dresden Files series.

I've read the first 4 Codex Alera books so far.  I'd say they're good, not great.  I think Butcher is better at writing short, pulpy stuff than bigger, epic fantasy.  Codex Alera feels like action novels trapped in the too-big skin of epic fantasy.  I say this as a huge fan of big epics; Codex Alera just feels a little off to me.  Still quite enjoyable, though.

You must not have read the Dresden Files series.

I've read the first 4 Codex Alera books so far.  I'd say they're good, not great.  I think Butcher is better at writing short, pulpy stuff than bigger, epic fantasy.  Codex Alera feels like action novels trapped in the too-big skin of epic fantasy.  I say this as a huge fan of big epics; Codex Alera just feels a little off to me.  Still quite enjoyable, though.

I haven't read Dresden and I don't intend to in the near future. I somehow do not think I would like it.

This being said, there is something off about Codex. There are good elements in there, but it lacks the spices to make it truly fascinating. I wouldn't even call it an action novel as it seems more of a military tale of endless battles with little end games for the main characters. There is just no climax, no "oh chull" moment, no anticipation, just reading through pages and pages of conflict and practically knowing in advance how it will end. There are few surprises here and there, but there are too few of them.

It wasn't a bad story, but I had to punch through some bouts, especially book 6. Book 6 isn't very fun to read. The other books were better, 3 and 4 being the highlights as these are when you think the story is finally taking shape, you think some characters are getting more bones only to see them fade back into the background.

So I finished Furies of Calderon today and quite enjoyed it. I'm glad the Marat turned out to be more than just two-dimensional "savage" archetypes. I will definitely be reading book 2.

Next on my list is Crucible of Gold, the next one of Naomi Novik's Temeraire series that I haven't yet read.

I actually have alot on my plate. Erm I mean desk.I don't eat books seriously. Although I DO devour the words and stories.

So I am currently 10% into Firefight. I am halfway through rereading Harry Potter for the 5th time. I try and read the series once each year. Why? Because I feel a strange sense of calmness and solace when voraciously hunting down sentences.

And the librarian at my school forced me to start reading DragonLance by the dudes (and dudettes) that created Dungeons and Dragons. It's not bad but a bit steriotypical not to mention how somtimes it completely smashes the mold.

This was the conversation with my ibrarian.

Me: Hey Miss, did you buy any Sanderson books over the holidays?

Librian: Who's Sanderson? What sort of books does he write?

At that moment in time I agreed wholheartedly with Alcatraz that all librarians were evil (at least mine)

Me: Fantasy, Sci Fi and a little comedy

Librian: FANTASY!!?? Well, we have a great selection of amazing fantasy writers here! You can't have read EVERY single book here!

Me: *Um yes I have* (at least the decent ones)

Librarian: Theres Pierce! Weissman! *rattles off a selection of age old writers*

Me: Well, they can't be as good as Sanderson

Librian: *picks up a tattered old book*, checks it out for me and hands it to me

Me: THIS BOOK WAS PUBLISHED IN STORMING 1987!

Librarian: Well, then I can't blame you if it falls to pieces.

Then I left.

So the book's full name is actually

DragonLance. Chronicles.Volume one. Dragons of Autumn Twilight.

Meh

EDIT_ 500th post!

Edited by A peasant among wolves

I haven't read Dresden and I don't intend to in the near future. I somehow do not think I would like it.

I firmly believe you are making a mistake here. Dresden has very little in common with Alera, and from all the people I've talked with about it, the only ones with a negative opinion have been the ones you had stopped after the first few books. Obviously the decision is yours, and I won't push, but the Jim Butcher ranks very high on my list of authors I recommend to friends, probably right after Brandon and Rothfuss. 

I definitely liked DragonLance back when I read it in middle or high school.  that said, I've done some rereads of the old fantasy books I read back then, and I am finding that not a lot of them hold up (and even the ones I still enjoy don't seem quite as good as they once did).  there are a few exceptions, but in general I wouldn't bet on any particular book or series still seeming as good as I thought it was.  Dragonlance very much included

Finished Calamity which was a little disappointing.

Back on a Sci-Fi kick and started The Old Mans War series. Flew through the first book and on the second one now. Liking it so far.

I really need to get back on WoT I just can't seem to find the motivation to do it for some reason.

Thinking about rereading The Name of the Wind.

Oh and Hunger Games I actually liked book 1&2 a lot even most of book 3 until the ending

Edited by StormingTexan

Soul Music, the only book in the Death sub series of Discworld that I haven't read.

I'll also be starting Temeraire book 7 soon.

Also re reading the obscure manga, Hoshin Engi.

Almost finished with a re listening of Raising Steam.

I have about a hundred pages left in A Blink of the Screen.

I'm going to listen to Dodger as soon as I finish Raising Steam.

Yikes, I'm really on a Pratchett binge.

It's finally my turn for Bands of Mourning on the library hold list, so Naomi Novik is getting put on hold until I finish BoM!! I'm 18% in and have already highlighted several funny quotes. I love the new kandra. "Can I have your skeleton when you die?" XD

Me: THIS BOOK WAS PUBLISHED IN STORMING 1987!

I have to say that I don't understand this attitude against older books. Really 1987 is not even that old, and there are plenty of great fantasy and sci-fi books published in XX century. I actually enjoy some of them more than Sanderson's books. Yeah, some of the older books might feel a little cliche, but it's because they created the cliche. 

^ Oddly that goes double for me regarding Sci-Fi which you would think gets dated pretty quick with the technological advances over the last 20 years making some of the older Sci-Fi elements everyday items for us. Still I typically like older Sci-Fi more than current with a few exceptions.

I have to say that I don't understand this attitude against older books. Really 1987 is not even that old, and there are plenty of great fantasy and sci-fi books published in XX century. I actually enjoy some of them more than Sanderson's books. Yeah, some of the older books might feel a little cliche, but it's because they created the cliche. 

Age definitely isn't inherently good or bad, so long as the writing is up to snuff.  Tolkein was published decades ago and LoTR still holds up better than most series. Plus 1987 is when Mort was published, and is therefore the first time we really got an in depth look at Discworld's Death. I'd rate that book higher than pretty much every single work I know of by at least a few more recent authors (cough Rowling cough).

Finished Bands of Mourning last night. Storming LOVED IT. Today I plowed through 80% of Crucible of Gold by Naomi Novik, which I had put on hold to read BoM. I liked it and especially its ending better than some of the previous books in this series.

Now I'm in the middle of Three Slices, a collection of 3 novellas that I bought mainly because one of them is from the Iron Druid Chronicles by Kevin Hearne.