What Are You Reading, Part 2

Chaos

Licanius Trilogy by James Islington is lined up when i Finish Contractor by Andrew S. Ball.

I also plan a reread of The Lightbringer Series by Brent Weeks the fourth and final Book is out in a few months,

I highly recommend this Author to everybody but his style has more adultish themes and more Gritty than Brandons work so i warn you but his magic systems and action scenes are on par with Brandon and the dialogue... oh the dialogue.. Funniest i have read.

Edited by WEZ313

Licanius Trilogy by James Islington is lined up when i Finish Contractor by Andrew S. Ball.

I also plan a reread of The Lightbringer Series by Brent Weeks the fourth and final Book is out in a few months,

I highly recommend this Author to everybody but his style has more adultish themes and more Gritty than Brandons work so i warn you but his magic systems and action scenes are on par with Brandon and the dialogue... oh the dialogue.. Funniest i have read.

Lightbringer, to me, is a lot like a superior Warbreaker. I couldn't finish the second book because he kept putting f-bombs in, and I have a limit of two per book. They really are good though, so if you don't mind the language then you should try them. The violence is a bit above Sanderson's levels, a tiny bit, pretty close to Brian McClellan's Powdermage books I think.

Oh im sorry to hear you couldn't finish it! It just gets better and better!! I agree with you it's an amazing series, i can't say the F-Bombs bothered me too much, it seems to bother me more when the books are too 'clean', i have no idea why it just seems to grate at me.

Although some of Brandons work is an exception, like Stormlight Archive.

Brent Weeks has another series called Night Angel that's another one of my favorites of all time but there is language in that too so i won't recommend it haha. Yes. He has exceptional skill at violent and action scenes  :D

+1 Just because i like you and I'm feeling friendly  ;)

I don't remember if updated the thread with my progress, but I finished Calamity a couple of days after release, took a short break, and am at about the 90% mark of Jim C. Hines' Revisionary, the fourth book in the Magic Ex Libris series. For some reason I find it hard to remember details from the previous books (though I know I liked them), so I was a little lost whenever an event from a previous book came up, but outside of that it's a great book so far.

Am I the only one who really didn't like light bringer? I mean it was written well but I just found that the magic was too ... vibrant, that and it didn't really fit in the world properly. How good is the second book anyway? Is it better or worse than the first one? For some reason the world  reminds me of The Gentlemen Bastards and I like that way more.  

Am I the only one who really didn't like light bringer? I mean it was written well but I just found that the magic was too ... vibrant, that and it didn't really fit in the world properly. How good is the second book anyway? Is it better or worse than the first one? For some reason the world  reminds me of The Gentlemen Bastards and I like that way more.  

The next book is also good, better in my opinion! Thought the Gentleman Bastards was very good i didn't enjoy it as much as Lightbringer. I never got that vibe of them being from similar worlds, Lightbringer is more a fictional Military, magical Caribbean 1700's setting and Gentleman Bastards is more of a fictional SciFi, Oceans 11 mixed with Italian Renaissance style.

The first Night Angel book has a little in common with the Gentleman Bastards but not  by much. They're both good but i suppose it just comes down to personal preference.

***Edit***God damnation crappy Spell-Check***

Edited by WEZ313

I am actually constantly thinking whether I should read Lightbringer. Almost everyone seems to like it, but the Night Angel trilogy was simply so bad that I can't make myself read anything else by the same author. 

I am actually constantly thinking whether I should read Lightbringer. Almost everyone seems to like it, but the Night Angel trilogy was simply so bad that I can't make myself read anything else by the same author.

Oh no!!

I loved it!! Just out of curiosity what didn't you like about it? Just to be clear I'm not whining that you don't like the same book as me its because sometimes I hate books other people love, I'm really just curious :) I hated the promise of blood, Naomi Noviks books and a Robin Hobb's series but Night Angel and Lightbringer just hit all the right buttons for me personally.

The recommendations for Brent Weeks always illicites the "You're not the boss of me!" reaction from myself :)

I have similar reactions to Pride and Prejudice and To Kill a Mockingbird, so it certainly has nothing to do with quality. :P

Lol!!! I do this to every book I'm recommended XD XD XD XD

The thing i love most about the 17th Shard is that we can all talk most about what we think or feel, what books we love and hate without all the negativity that seems to exist all over the internet  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Im always grateful i found this site and the friendly people here!!  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)

The thing i love most about the 17th Shard is that we can all talk most about what we think or feel, what books we love and hate without all the negativity that seems to exist all over the internet  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Im always grateful i found this site and the friendly people here!!  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)

You haven't heard me wax poetic about my hatred of Anne Rice.  :ph34r:

Lol!!! I do this to every book I'm recommended XD XD XD XD

It's getting worse recently. I'm at the point where I'm scarily accurate at knowing what I'd like and still have not exhausted the list of books I would like to read. I pretty much do not need or require recommendations from anyone... the issue, of course, is that people somehow do not like their recommendations being casually dismissed (I know, I know, it puzzles me too ;))

So now I have to feign interest when someone says something like, "You like to read? Have you read the Hunger Games? It's sooo good! No, I haven't read anything else." I pretty much have to respond with, "Oh, I haven't read it yet, but it seems like a lot of people like it!" instead of "Yeah, I don't read stuff that is essentially a less-inspired version of Battle Royale or Stephen King's The Long Walk."

It's also good to have friends that know better :D

Interview with a Vampire was decent. That's about all I can say, seems like everything else is derivative of that one work.

It's getting worse recently. I'm at the point where I'm scarily accurate at knowing what I'd like and still have not exhausted the list of books I would like to read. I pretty much do not need or require recommendations from anyone... the issue, of course, is that people somehow do not like their recommendations being casually dismissed (I know, I know, it puzzles me too ;))

So now I have to feign interest when someone says something like, "You like to read? Have you read the Hunger Games? It's sooo good! No, I haven't read anything else." I pretty much have to respond with, "Oh, I haven't read it yet, but it seems like a lot of people like it!" instead of "Yeah, I don't read stuff that is essentially a less-inspired version of Battle Royale or Stephen King's The Long Walk."

Interview with a Vampire was decent. That's about all I can say, seems like everything else is derivative of that one work.

Interview With a Vampire is the only book of hers I've read.  It was enough.  It was awful.  I had to force myself to slog through that mess.

I think a lot of it is that I just can't stand her writing style.  It's so flowery and burns pages and pages and pages on pointless description.  I mean, yes, I understand how curtains are a very important part of a vampire's life.  But as a reader, I'm just not interested in reading about the color, pattern, fabric type, and exact draping pattern of every set in every room that any of them ever set foot into.  And it really didn't help that I sort of hated every. single. character.

<_<

Edited by Kaymyth

To me, it was not better than the movie, but it was not worse either. I'm glad I read it, and as a fan of purple prose I am confuzzled that you think that there was too much description or that it was flowery... but now I know not to recommend Lord Dunsany to you (poor, Lord Dunsany-less soul!).

Anyway, I don't think I would read it again, and I am not interested in reading any of her other stuff. That, and Tom Cruise was a better Lestat than the one in the novel.

Oh no!!
I loved it!! Just out of curiosity what didn't you like about it? Just to be clear I'm not whining that you don't like the same book as me its because sometimes I hate books other people love, I'm really just curious  :) I hated the promise of blood, Naomi Noviks books and a Robin Hobb's series but Night Angel and Lightbringer just hit all the right buttons for me personally.

I don't know really. The plot was kinda weak for me, the main character was way to OP and Mary Sue for first two books (only in the third they explained any cons of his powers...). I also didn't like the way it was written. Maybe that's just my personal taste. 

I liked Robin Hobb's books (though the newest series is kinda meh), but I did not enjoy Naomi Novik much. Especially her Uprooted is just one big mistake. It's terrible, uhh.

Why would you feign interest? I just plainly tell people "look, I don't read the books that I consider stupid"... Maybe that's why I have no friends. O.o

Hahah i will keep an eye out  ;)

Finally!! Somebody who understands!! I hate when people recommend a book and im like "No thanks that's not really what im into" and they get all offended.. Im not really interested in SciFi honestly it's just Space Stuff bores me.. Or Non Fiction.. I hate clean cut stuff, although Brandon's Cosmere is a great exception i Loved Stormlight, Warbreaker was good but i wasn't fond of Elantris or Shadows for silence and the 1st Mistborn was good but i felt like i was slogging through it.. I like a bit of grit and blood shed, more adult theme stuff.

I don't know really. The plot was kinda weak for me, the main character was way to OP and Mary Sue for first two books (only in the third they explained any cons of his powers...). I also didn't like the way it was written. Maybe that's just my personal taste. 

I liked Robin Hobb's books (though the newest series is kinda meh), but I did not enjoy Naomi Novik much. Especially her Uprooted is just one big mistake. It's terrible, uhh.

Why would you feign interest? I just plainly tell people "look, I don't read the books that I consider stupid"... Maybe that's why I have no friends. O.o

Ahhh i get you!! Personally i loved the way it was done but sometimes it works for people and sometimes it doesn't!! I just couldn't get into Robin Hobb i have tried several times but i just couldn't care about any of the characters... but a lot of people who have the same taste as me LOVED it. No sweat  :D  :D  I do Love Brent Weeks works though they always hit the right buttons for me!! haha

I have read Patrick Rothfuss' works like 4 times and loved it every time but on the fifth everything Kvothe did just got on my nerves.. Thats what i love about books, i read Elantris and hated it and Brandon Sanderson then read Stormlight and turned out i loved him XD

Obviously i reread it just because i love the Cosmere though  :D  :D

To me, it was not better than the movie, but it was not worse either. I'm glad I read it, and as a fan of purple prose I am confuzzled that you think that there was too much description or that it was flowery... but now I know not to recommend Lord Dunsany to you (poor, Lord Dunsany-less soul!).

Anyway, I don't think I would read it again, and I am not interested in reading any of her other stuff. That, and Tom Cruise was a better Lestat than the one in the novel.

See, I enjoyed the movie well enough, but thought the book was absolute rubbish in comparison.  And the best part of the book is where Lestat is set on fire.  Really.  It would have been the perfect place to end the entire series.

Hahah i will keep an eye out  ;)

There's a thread out there about books people were disappointed in where I post a detailed whinefest about how much I hated that book.  I won't clutter this one up by repeating myself.  Much.

I don't remember if updated the thread with my progress, but I finished Calamity a couple of days after release, took a short break, and am at about the 90% mark of Jim C. Hines' Revisionary, the fourth book in the Magic Ex Libris series. For some reason I find it hard to remember details from the previous books (though I know I liked them), so I was a little lost whenever an event from a previous book came up, but outside of that it's a great book so far.

I cannot wait to read Revisionary! Unfortunately none of the libraries I have access to own a copy at this point and I can't afford to buy it yet.

Also, I finally started reading the first book of the Codex Alera tonight, and I'm already very much hooked.

Yeah, both are great series. I just wish Magic Ex Libris didn't have such a strong Dresden vibe to it, I want it to stand better on its own. As it is, Isaac Vainio is practically Harry Dresden, but with different magic. Though I suppose that had I read them in reverse, I would consider Dresden to be Isaac in a different world...

Yeah, both are great series. I just wish Magic Ex Libris didn't have such a strong Dresden vibe to it, I want it to stand better on its own. As it is, Isaac Vainio is practically Harry Dresden, but with different magic. Though I suppose that had I read them in reverse, I would consider Dresden to be Isaac in a different world...

I think that's actually one reason why I like Isaac so much--he reminds me of Harry.

I absolutely adored the Vampire chronicles... back in the nineties, when I was a teenager... I mean, I really thought they were great back then. The first three books that is, not those which came after.

I also loved Hunger Games....  :ph34r: It wasn't the most extraordinarily written book in the entire universe, but it was effective. I feel almost ashamed to admit it. I hated Divergence (anyone read my hate mail), but Hunger Games, I am quite fond of. My husband and I also like the movies......  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:

Codex Alera is average for me. I sense it is a good book, but it is perhaps too military for my taste and while the characters are good, they somehow all manage to feel.... bland. Except Isana, but Tavi? He's just... I don't know. I don't dislike him, I like him, but he doesn't rise any passion in me, be it good or bad passion. I've been dwindling on this last book forever now.

I also loved Hunger Games....  :ph34r: It wasn't the most extraordinarily written book in the entire universe, but it was effective. I feel almost ashamed to admit it. I hated Divergence (anyone read my hate mail), but Hunger Games, I am quite fond of. My husband and I also like the movies......  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:

Personally wasn't a fan of the way the series ended, but the first two hunger games books were decent. like you say, not the best written, but enjoyable.  the last book I didn't like much, and it kind of soured me on the series as a whole.  the movies I haven't seen, and after their stunt of splitting the final book into 2 movies, I'm going to avoid them on principle.  I hate it when hollywood does that.