What Are You Reading, Part 2

Chaos

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just finished reading Patrick Rothfus The name of the Wind. Wow. That book was very good to say the least.

I finished The Name of the Wind a couple of days ago. Went straight on to The Wise Man's Fear, which I finished in one day. Safe to say I enjoyed it quite a bit :).

Right now I'm getting ready to start GRRM's A Song of Ice and Fire for the first time.

started reading Shadow of the Hegemon last night, trying to get ready for Shadows in Flight by rereading Enders Game, Ender in Exile, Speaker for the Dead, Xenocide, Enders Shadow and Shadow of the Hegemon after that I am going to read Children of the Mind, Shadow Puppets and Shadow of the Giant considering I never got around to reading them.

Besides the Sanderson books I've been reading:

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman

Fuzzy Nation by John Scalzi

Player of Games by Iain M. Banks

MetaTropolis by various (edited by John Scalzi)

Leviathan by Scott Westerfield

Behemoth by Scott Westerfield

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

John Dies at the End by David Wong

Finished Wise Mans Fear. It was good, kind of what I expected. It was longer than needed probably but Rothfuss is amazing at his ability to tell a story beautifully. Now reading Desert Spear by Peter V. Brett. Then trying to decide what I should read next. It will either be the Night Angel Trilogy, re-reading Mistborn or White Sand. Any thoughts?

Finished Wise Mans Fear. It was good, kind of what I expected. It was longer than needed probably but Rothfuss is amazing at his ability to tell a story beautifully. Now reading Desert Spear by Peter V. Brett. Then trying to decide what I should read next. It will either be the Night Angel Trilogy, re-reading Mistborn or White Sand. Any thoughts?

Yeah, it was longer than it needed to be to tell the story, but to my mind it's embodying one of its not-so-subtle themes. It does suffer from a bit of what Robert Jordan came down with in the later books of WoT - letting beautiful storytelling get in the way of the story - but, can a novel ever really suffer for that? It depends what you're looking to get out of a book, I suppose.

I definitely struggled with my interest to continue into the Wheel of Time around Winter's Heart, but Wise Man's Fear kept an uncomfortably firm grip on me all the way through. Maybe it's to do with the length of the series? From the beginning of Wise Man's Fear, you can see the end, even if it's a thousand or so pages distant. But with the Wheel of Time - at the time I was reading - I had no idea if how long the series would go on, and if I had another ten steadily-plodding books to look forward to.

Sorry, rambling. Both series are fabulous. I will be getting my hands on Towers of Midnight very soon now - haven't been able to keep to my decision to wait until closer to AMoL one bit :P

• 2 weeks later...