What Are You Reading, Part 2

Chaos

I... I couldn't help myself.

I started Lord of Chaos. I'm going to regret not taking a break.

I really like Lord of Chaos. A lot of the major plot points for the rest of the series are set up in that volume. Also, the ending is hidden in this one. And the end of the book is really cool (but maybe not so much for readers who are not keen on the battle scenes).

I... I couldn't help myself.

I started Lord of Chaos. I'm going to regret not taking a break.

Indeed you will :P

I've finished The Law of Peoples this week, read a collection of Rick and Morty comics, and read The Ghost Brigades by John Scalzi yesterday.

I'm also a little behind on my 52 books goal, but that's why I got poetry books, comic book collections, and Legion: Skin Deep

Just finished Terry Pratchett's Small Gods. In short, one of my favorite Pratchett books, with one of his best - and most satisfying - endings. Good takeaways there too.

definitely one of the best Discworld books, possibly the best non-nightwatch book (though there are some other good competitors for that)

I'm about two thirds through Hogfather, it's one of my favorite Death books so far, definitely above Reaper Man.

I'm also about halfway through The Aeronaut's Windlass. I picked it up at the library on a whim because I couldn't get into Dresden, so I wasn't expecting to be able to get into this new series. It's actually really good though, and I'm loving the lighter tone. I'm way more comfortable reading it. I'm not a cat person, so the cats aren't doing anything for me, aside from that I can't think of a real downside to the book. Are the Codex books closer to this series or Dresden in tone and content?

It's more inline with Alera just for the fact that it's dealing with teens as major leads. I highly reco Alera. It's one of my favorite fantasy series but some people have problems with bk 1 as its a "farm boy" story but 2-6 are epic.

In his defense, many of the prologues are relevant. It's not just for worldbuilding purposes.

My problem with them was that they could sometimes be so relevant that I wasn't sure why they weren't just a chapter. I strongly dislike long chapters, so the prologues bothered me a lot.

Oh, and on topic, I finished Hogfather and the Aeronaut's windlass, both were excellent. Currently relistening to Legion skin deep, and a hundred pages into The Black Powder War.

Edited by OoklaLeft

My half-hearted reread of The Name of the Wind got put on hold to reread Steelheart, Mitosis, and Firefight. Well, that didn't take long. I'm back to Rothfuss. Almost done. I'm not sure whether I'll soldier on into The Wise Man's Fear or not. It's weird: I absolutely loved these books the first time I read them.

Well, I knuckled through the rest of The King's Justice by Stephen R Donaldson.

Namely, the novella The Auger's Gambit.

It did get better, and has a more satisfying ending than The King's Justice... but it also had some generic...ugh, I hate the word, but it unfortunately fits here... fantasy tropes of the merely escapist variety. So overall all right, if you're a Donaldson fan, check them out. If you plan on starting to read Donaldson... erhm... maybe try something else?

Like The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant? I managed to get through all ten books, and I think that I'm glad that I did. Or maybe I just have literary Stockholm Syndrome...

The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant helped me become the pretentious reader that I am today :D

I also happened to like the Last chronicles, but mileage varies.

It certainly helps me to wait for Sanderson's books, since I had to wait three years in between installments of the Last Chronicles. The one between Fatal Revenant and Against All Things Ending was particularly cruel. 

The way Donaldson writes drives me out of my mind, honestly. Like, how many things are you going to describe as "eldritch," here, H.P. Lovecraft? Geez. Words like that and "fecund" need to be used more sparingly. And I hate the archaic speech patterns that most of the characters use. Yet I still read every single book, one after the other (this was like a year ago, so no waiting for me).

As for my current reading, I guess I am gonna go ahead with The Wise Man's Fear. I also picked up a Steven Erikson book, Willful Child, which seems to be somewhere between spoof of and tribute to Star Trek. I've got my eye on that one.

I just finished Shadows of Self. I am seriously unimpressed. I am not really disappointed, because I wasn't expecing much. I just find this second Mistborn series really generic, and somehow can't make myself really enjoy it. Well, but I had similar problems with first Misborn series as well. Don't get me wrong. It's a good book, and I did enjoy it, but it's nothing special, really. At least in my opinion.

And I'm going to be seriosuly annoyed if Wax ends up with Marasi. No, not because I don't like her, byt because I've seen 12,000 relationships like that in both Sanderson books and other books, and I really do not wish to see another. It's just boring. 

And I'm going to be seriosuly annoyed if Wax ends up with Marasi. No, not because I don't like her, byt because I've seen 12,000 relationships like that in both Sanderson books and other books, and I really do not wish to see another. It's just boring.

Particularly after what happened in Shadows of Self. Not only would it be cliched, it would throw out tons of development with his one true love:

Wayne :P

Particularly after what happened in Shadows of Self. Not only would it be cliched, it would throw out tons of development with his one true love:

Wayne :P

It was always cliched. At this point anyone would be more interesting. Or it would also be nice for Wax to end up alone, because this is something I have yet to see in Sanderson's book. 

Now, romance always annoys me, but it is one of Brandons weaknesses, not that I care. I read his books for magic, characters and awesome plot twists. I would enjoy if he cut down on the romance though, not that it matters that much, I just skim it anyway...

Anyway Im reading Dresden Files: Grave Peril, I need something easy to read after The Black Prism.

In his defense, many of the prologues are relevant. It's not just for worldbuilding purposes.

But.. really. Is there even a plot anymore? It feels like a bunch of happenings to me at this point. Its such a bummer because the first three novels were soo good. 

My problem with them was that they could sometimes be so relevant that I wasn't sure why they weren't just a chapter. I strongly dislike long chapters, so the prologues bothered me a lot.

Oh, and on topic, I finished Hogfather and the Aeronaut's windlass, both were excellent. Currently relistening to Legion skin deep, and a hundred pages into The Black Powder War.

I can't do long chapters. I just... don't have the attention span.

Back on topic, I'm like 20 pages into Lord of Chaos. After a week. Clap clap.

Shadowsmarch by Tad Williams. It's the first of his books that I'm reading and I'm not yet sure what I think of it. Both main characters (Barrick and Briony) are rather weak, they seem to spend most of their time complaining. The book also kind of feels like children's literature, and lacks anything that I would name original. Still, there's something endearing about the book that makes me keep reading.

But.. really. Is there even a plot anymore? It feels like a bunch of happenings to me at this point. Its such a bummer because the first three novels were soo good. I can't do long chapters. I just... don't have the attention span.

Back on topic, I'm like 20 pages into Lord of Chaos. After a week. Clap clap.

A lot of the prologues serve as a State of the Bad Guys type information otherwise you would be like huh where did these bad guys come from.  Literally every single fact/tidbit mentioned in the Wheel of Time comes back later.  You have to realize that the entire series they are talking about a final battle and that is what the culmination is.  Literally every single character good or evil will play a part in the lead up or the battle itself.

Looking back there are many really cool connections that I hated myself for not picking up on.  If you are looking for a book to dominate and finish and know the story easily WoT is no walk in the park.  However I found it to be one of the most satisfying series to complete for me.

It is kind of like Stormlight Archive... I blew through those books the first read without really appreciating any of the subtlety of the story.  On the second read I was like wow I am such a jerk I missed out on all of these really cool connections.

Finished Dust of Dreams. God, it is nice. However, I think that the Barghast plot is really overdone. It is kinda stretched. Though its end, particularly the battle's end is amazing. AND the last battle. I was up 3 a.m. reading it. Next day (today) was an exam. Both went awesome. So, no regrets.