What Are You Reading, Part 2

Chaos

Just to add a counterpoint to this, as I pretty much always do whenever WoT comes up: I hated book 1, and didn't much like book 2 either. They were my 2 least favorite in the series (after them it is probably 8, though I would have to double check). I also didn't have a problem with book 10. that said, it definitely drops a bit in quality around 6 or 7, and picks back up around 11 or 12

Finished Red seas under Red Skies, and The Republic of Thieves. The former is better than the latter. The nautical lessons were hilarious. And the part where Locke charges on the other ship.

I like Sabetha. But I think she views Locke more as a competetor.

Overall, both books are nice.

Lastly, bondsmagi are *******

Finished, Toll The Hounds. FINALLY !!!

I thought the book was weak. BUT. The Ending. Oh, The Ending. It was marvellous !!! 

The sacrifice is HUGE !!! But I couldn't quite grasp the meaning of chaos.

What is chaos ?? And has it been defeated entirely ??

Finished, Toll The Hounds. FINALLY !!!

I thought the book was weak. BUT. The Ending. Oh, The Ending. It was marvellous !!! 

The sacrifice is HUGE !!! But I couldn't quite grasp the meaning of chaos.

What is chaos ?? And has it been defeated entirely ??

Chaos can never be defeated entirely, you can only change the venue of battle.

What am I reading? The answer is simple.

Sanderson.

I read his novels every day. The pinnacle of human writing, represented in many books, three or so new ones every year. With thousands of pages, WOB's, and 17th Shard posts, the Brandon Sanderson books are an interactive experience defeating everything else except perhaps eating bacon.

And this is a Sanderson site. What did you expect? :ph34r:

Edit: Well, I'm currently reading the forth WoT. Technically Sanderson. :mellow:

Edited by WayneSpren

Finished WoR, thus ending my Cosmere reread. I'm now debating between GGK's Lions of Al-Rassan or Brian McClellan's Powder Mage trilogy. I'm leaning towards Lions but the last GGK book I read (TIgana) left my heart in pieces. :(

If Tigana will leave your heart in pieces, Lions will. It is my absolute favourite of GGK's books, but it will rip your heart into shreds and feed those to you, piece by piece.

I would not like to recommend Lions over Powder Mage or vice versa as I enjoy both books, but in different ways. I will say this: if you can't give Lions the emotional engagement it deserves, save it for another time. It should not be missed, and it's one of those books that deserves your full attention. (GGK is one of my favourite writers, as is apparent...)

Currently debating reading Looking For A Ship or Joseph Conrad's The Mirror of the Sea. Or even Levinson's book on the history of container shipping. Very non-fiction at the moment. (More horror-inducing: I still haven't read Shadows of Self because no time :/ )

Finished Terry Pratchett's Theatre of Cruelty (which I almost feel bad about because it's super short, but it counts towards my 52-book challenge...).

I've moved onto Pyramids now. It started off a bit meh, I think, but it picked up. 

I'll say though, doing a full Pratchett (re)read is kind of exhausting. Most of the books might be sitting at between a third and a half of a Brandon book, but there are, what, 40 of them? 50? 

Finished Terry Pratchett's Theatre of Cruelty (which I almost feel bad about because it's super short, but it counts towards my 52-book challenge...).

I've moved onto Pyramids now. It started off a bit meh, I think, but it picked up. 

I'll say though, doing a full Pratchett (re)read is kind of exhausting. Most of the books might be sitting at between a third and a half of a Brandon book, but there are, what, 40 of them? 50?

I don't have the exact count, but there are something like 43 discworld books, not including supplemental stuff like the Science fo Discworld stuff

Just started Dust of Dreams.

Icarium was amazing in book 7. He created warrens. Now, I want to know what happened next. I want to know what happens to Barghast army. What happened to Awl ? 

The K'Chain Nah'ruk were arriving. And what about Lether ??

So many questions need to be answered. 

Edited by Hood

I'm going to start A Song of Ice and Fire in a few days. I've heard so much about it I just can't ignore it.

However, know this: I will never place another author above Sanderson. Not even if JK Rowling, Tolkien, and the writers behind MLP:FIM fuse together! So don't expect me to give the book a better rating than Firefight!

But I am excited to read it. :lol:

The King's Justice by Stephen R Donaldson

I read this a few weeks ago. The first novella, The King's Justice was everything I love about Donaldson- beautiful prose and an interesting protagonist along with cool worldbuilding. But I just couldn't get through the second novella- Augur's Gambit, it was just plain boring, as if it had been written by a different author.

I'm currently reading Anthony Ryan's Blood Song, and am thoroughly enjoying it. It reminds me a little of The Name of the Wind and Robin Hobb's Farseer trilogy.

Finished WoR, thus ending my Cosmere reread. I'm now debating between GGK's Lions of Al-Rassan or Brian McClellan's Powder Mage trilogy. I'm leaning towards Lions but the last GGK book I read (TIgana) left my heart in pieces. :(

Cant speak on on the other but I really liked the Powder Mage books by Brandon's former student Brian McClellan. 

Just finished The Fires of Heaven. I feel like I keep saying this but I think it is my favorite so far. 

Think I will take a break from WoT for a bit. Really liking WoT but feel like my brain needs a rest from "over-description". I think I will read a couple shorter non fantasy books. Just started Crimson Shore by Preston and Child then I think I am going to read Angles of Attack the third Frontlines book. 

I read this a few weeks ago. The first novella, The King's Justice was everything I love about Donaldson- beautiful prose and an interesting protagonist along with cool worldbuilding. But I just couldn't get through the second novella- Augur's Gambit, it was just plain boring, as if it had been written by a different author.

Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one. I've set it aside for now mid- Augur's Gambit. It just really intensified Donaldson's weaknesses with regards to "world building" (since he does not create any more than he needs)... and there really isn't much in the way of "oh no, a doom is coming, I hope they survive!" like you had with The King's Justice. I'll finish it, but I'm too stressed at the moment to force myself.

So I'm reading The Law of Peoples by John Rawls instead :D

Finished Solar Express, the science parts were good, the rest blehh.

I've almost finished Pyramids, it's been an excellent listen.

I've started 2010 the sequel to 2001 a space odyssey. It feels different from the first book, but still good.

I'm halfheartedly rereading The Name of the Wind. I recently reread The Wheel of Time, then read Robin Hobb's new book, then reread all the Cosmere books. I'm having a lot of trouble finding something I want to read after spending so much time on books that I unabashedly love.