What Are You Reading, Part 2

Chaos

I just finished Harper Lee's new book, Go Set a Watchman. It didn't make me feel like to Kill a Mockingbird did, and it wasn't very intellectually engaging for me. I thought that a lot of the pre-release buzz really focused on the wrong things, and I feel like this books going to be interpreted in so many different ways that the good parts of it, might get sunk under other criticisms. I'm really not sure whether I liked the book or not.

I've not read it, but one of my favorite quotes from someone who has runs "There is a good book buried somewhere deep within Go Set A Watchman, the recently unearthed manuscript by Harper Lee. And that book was To Kill A Mockingbird."  I think when people read it and/or talk about it, they have to remember that it was an unpublished first draft of what eventually turned into To Kill a Mockingbird, not an actual planned sequel or anything like that.  it requires a different attitude going in.

I've not read it, but one of my favorite quotes from someone who has runs "There is a good book buried somewhere deep within Go Set A Watchman, the recently unearthed manuscript by Harper Lee. And that book was To Kill A Mockingbird."  I think when people read it and/or talk about it, they have to remember that it was an unpublished first draft of what eventually turned into To Kill a Mockingbird, not an actual planned sequel or anything like that.  it requires a different attitude going in.

That's not entirely accurate to my understanding, although in gist it's true. Expecting a follow up to Mockingbird will definitely leave you dissapointed, I mean, a fair amount of background details were rewritten so it's fairly obvious that it's not meant to be. I think my biggest problem with the book is actually just that it doesn't tell a story really. It's also very.....meander ish....but not in a good way like Mockingbird, or another favorite of mine, Way Down Yonder by Richard Peck.

That's not entirely accurate to my understanding, although in gist it's true. Expecting a follow up to Mockingbird will definitely leave you dissapointed, I mean, a fair amount of background details were rewritten so it's fairly obvious that it's not meant to be. I think my biggest problem with the book is actually just that it doesn't tell a story really. It's also very.....meander ish....but not in a good way like Mockingbird, or another favorite of mine, Way Down Yonder by Richard Peck.

everything I have seen indicates that it was an early draft, likely the first one submitted to the publisher, and that it is being published with little or no alteration.  this explains why 1. it isnt as good as mockingbird and 2. why some of the continuity isn't quite right (the robinson trial outcome, for example).

Since my last post I've read quite a lot of books (holiday time, yay!).

Robbin Hobb's Fool's Assassin kind of disappointed me. I liked it, but I think I just expected something more. I also found it really predictable. Well, not as predictable as White Sand I also read recently, but WS was never actually published, so it doesn't count. And I also like Sanderson's world building more than Hobb's.

Brian Staveley's The Emperor's Blades was absolutely amaaazing. I loved it. It just somehow matched my taste, and I loved that we followed the Imperial First Family as the main characters. However I feel that it's sequel, The Providence of Fire, didn't live up to the original. It gets better reviews on goodreads than the first book, but I feel that the story just went completely off-rails, the characters' description and their development were turned on their head, making them behave in unreasonable ways, and make very weird decisions. I really don't know where the series is going. Also I think that the ideas and concepts the author presented in first novel sounded interesting and promising, but their presentation and execution in the second one failed. For example character of

Csestriim characters

really didn't match their previous descriptions. Also Kaden disappointed me as a character. If in the third book he actually manages to

fulfil his dream of democracy in the Empire

then I'm going to be seriously tempted to rate this book 1/5, but that's just my personal subjective opinion, so it's hardly valid. I really hope that I'll like the third book more. 

7th part of The Iron Druid Chronicles by Kevin Hearne, Shattered, was funnier than the 6th one. 

And the two first parts of Red Rising trilogy by Pierce Brown were... all right. I mean, it's a pleasant read and I'll definitely read the last book of this series, but I didn't find it anything really exciting. 

Today I started reading The First Law series by Joe Abercrombie. It's actually a reread now, because I've already read books 1-2 once a few years ago, but now I want to finish this series. However right now that I returned home from holidays and I am actually able to get new books, I'm thinking about reading The Shadow Of What Was Lost by James Inslington quickly in the meantime. 

Edited by Pestis the Spider

All is mostly quiet here on the (Mid)Western front. My grand Pratchett reread is moving along. Lords and Ladies is now done - great book, by the way, the Witches subseries just keeps getting better and better - and I am reading Maskerade. Which, about a quarter of the way in, is even more compelling to me. 

Just finished Archform: Beauty, by L.E. Modesitt. Easily one of his best books, maybe not one of my absolute favorites of his, but as a book, it was far stronger than many of his. I'm looking forward to reading Flash, which is based in the same book-verse as Archform: Beauty.

I've grown extremely bored with "cookie-cutter" Tolkienized fantasy, which is part of the reason why I'm such a huge fan of the Cosmere meta-epic and Adrian Tchaikovsky's Shadows of the Apt 10-book series. Can anyone recommend to me a good fantasy novel or fantasy series which is distinct, like what I mentioned above?

Edited by Sol Invictus

I've grown extremely bored with "cookie-cutter" Tolkienized fantasy, which is part of the reason why I'm such a huge fan of the Cosmere meta-epic and Adrian Tchaikovsky's Shadows of the Apt 10-book series. Can anyone recommend to me a good fantasy novel or fantasy series which is distinct, like what I mentioned above?

The Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss, unfortunately only two books and a novella at the moment, but they're definitely different.

The Imager Portfolio and Corean Chronicles are both good, and very un-tolkien fantasy, by L. E. Modesitt.

I decided to take a little break from my usual Fantasy/Sci Fi and read some physiological thrillers. I read "The Girl On The Train" was just ok then "Defending Jacob" which I liked and now "Before I Go To Sleep" which I haven't decided what I think about yet. 

Is the Apt series good? I have seen lots of mentions to it but the synopsis of the series didn't peak my interest. 

A word of warning, about Shadows of the Apt: This s--t is weird. Really weird. it is all internally consistent, mind you, and despite the oddity of it all, characterization is well-done and the action is fast-paced.

Basically, Shadows of the Apt is a bizarre mix of insect totems, magic vs science conceptualizations, steampunk and high fantasy. :-D Yeah, it's weird.

I would like to recommend The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane to everyone here.

I listened to it yesterday on audiobook and loved it. It is pretty short. It was about two hours long to listen to. It is also different from any other story I've ever read.

It's about a china rabbit, that can think. Not talk, not move, not do anything that can actually influence people, in the way most sentient things do. Only think. In this story, Edward learns to love. There are times when I hated it, because I was barely holding back tears. It was emotionally traumatic for me.

But it is a wonderful book, and I think everyone should read it. :)

Edited by The Honor Spren

Done with Maskerade. Absolutely great book, perhaps my favorite in the Witches subseries. Not sure why I loved it so much though - I know it was short, quick, and easy to read, but I don't think that would've been enough to make me love it as much as I did. 

I started Carpe Jugulum, after which I'll probably take a break from Pratchett, catch up on my other authors (Django Wexler's The Price of Valor and Anthony Ryan's Queen of Fire both came out in the beginning of July, I think, and I want to go through at least them before I go back into Pratchett).

The Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss, unfortunately only two books and a novella at the moment, but they're definitely different.

There's also a short story about Bast, but that's only available in an anthology. Just thought I'd put it out there for those who might not have known. I haven't read it yet.

Currently, I'm almost finished with Ruins, the third and final book in the Partials sequence by Dan Wells. It's sci-fi dystopian, and I quite enjoy it. Up next is The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch. I've heard great things about it and I'm excited to start it.

Malazan series. Steve Erikson. It's epic and certainly no cookies in it.

Seconded.

Though, you've to face the first 200 something pages of Gardens of the Moon. And for a better understanding, you've to read the side series too. I like this series as a long term project like Wheel of Time.

By the way, I am now at book 8. Its nice, but 7th is better. 

There's also a short story about Bast, but that's only available in an anthology. Just thought I'd put it out there for those who might not have known. I haven't read it yet.

I have, I thought it was pretty good.  A day in the life of Bast, essentially.

Ah, Malazan. It is equal parts great and infuriating. Erikson pretty much takes all fantasy tropes, puts them in a blender, adds a bit of pretentious ponderance, and garnishes it with Kruppe (Kruppe is a character who might be best described as Hoid... if Hoid decided to stay in one city and purloin pastries). It is a complicated world that spans several continents and dimensions. The magic is akin to power levels in Dragonball Z (i.e. mostly BS) so I wouldn't expect mechanics like you find in Sanderson. The plot is all over the place and a lot of questions you have will never be answered. Ever. Trust me, I've read the Esslemont books as well, and all I got was more infuriating. 

Essentially, here is what you do: you read Gardens of the Moon. Just read it. Don't think about it, just get through it. Then, with your befuddled entrance into Malazan accomplished, read Deadhouse Gates and/or Memories of Ice. If you like them both, continue and finish the series. If you like one, give it a shot through the fifth book before deciding to finish. If you don't like either, accept that you have no soul and will never have any real friends.

Finally done with Carpe Jugulum and Terry Pratchett's entire Witches subseries. In short, I didn't find it as good as the previous two, but still better than the ones before those. Really nice insight into religion in this one too. One particular quote from there struck me as the most concise yet truthful little bit of truth I have seen, possibly in any book:

“And sin, young man, is when you treat people like things.”

Team Granny 4lyffe.

Just finished "Scents and Sensibility," the 8th book in the Chet and Bernie mystery series by Spencer Quinn.

If you're looking for a quick, light read that's mystery, not SFF, I strongly recommend book #1 in this series, "Dog On It."

These are not children's books - they are adult novels with similar levels of non-gratuitous violence/romance as Brandon's fantasy. I have to say that, because ...

The POV character is Chet, the dog. Yes, the stories are told from the dog's point of view, and they are just delightful. No less than Stephen King has a blurb on the covers, saying that Quinn "speaks 2 languages fluently: suspense and dog."

Seriously, these books do not disappoint. Hope you agree! :D