What Are You Reading, Part 2

Chaos

On 11/05/2023 at 8:13 AM, Cinnamon said:

Last night I read Red, White and Royal Blue. The POV was a bit strange but overall it was a good quick read.

Hey ive read that one 

I really liked the sheer gay 

Im currently reading Lord of the Flies by William Golding

Just finished Of Mice and Men. It was... interesting. 

I really enjoyed the lack of description, since I tend to skim that anyway, going from dialogue to dialogue was a pretty enjoyable experience. This was an amazing example of how to do dialect right. As for the book itself, well, I don't get really emotional for books (or even movies), and this was no different. It was still pretty heartfelt though.

I then started Powder Mage book two, The Crimson Campaign by Brian McClellan, and it is delightful as I expected. Really love his books, and I have been thoroughly enraged (in a good way) by the Taniel section.

On 5/12/2023 at 9:21 AM, Cruciatus_heart said:

Hey ive read that one 

I really liked the sheer gay 

Im currently reading Lord of the Flies by William Golding

Do you recommend it??

Are you reading Lord of the Flies voluntarily or for school?

Just now, Hollow Graves said:

Do you recommend it??

Are you reading Lord of the Flies voluntarily or for school?

Voluntarily 

My school's literature class only had a thin book of short stories and merchant of venice 

I do reccomend it.  I mean i tend to like classics, and this till now feels like a pretty good read. Not too difficult and its interesting to see how these school boys learn to shed their innocence as they fight for survival 

Just now, Cruciatus_heart said:

Voluntarily 

My school's literature class only had a thin book of short stories and merchant of venice 

I do reccomend it.  I mean i tend to like classics, and this till now feels like a pretty good read. Not too difficult and its interesting to see how these school boys learn to shed their innocence as they fight for survival 

I have already read it. For school unfortunately. I think I would have liked it better if it was for school.

I was meaning Red White and Royal Blue fore the recommending sorry. I dont always talk super clearly.

1 minute ago, Hollow Graves said:

I have already read it. For school unfortunately. I think I would have liked it better if it was for school.

I was meaning Red White and Royal Blue fore the recommending sorry. I dont always talk super clearly.

Ohhhhh 

Yeah i reccomend red white and royal blue too! Its a quick fun read and has a wholesome message about the queer community and embracing yourself

Its got a lot of smut though. So be warned of that

Finished the previously mentioned Crimson Campaign. Amazing as expected. 

I then finished Roman Blood by... someone. Don't have the book on me currently. Was pretty good. It's a historically accurate mystery novel. The historic world building was fun and interesting. Historical Rome felt as real as modern New York or any other big city.

8 hours ago, Hollow Graves said:

I am reading Gideon the Ninth. It is so good. I am only like 9% the way through the book though. @Szeth's Facepalm thanks for recommending it. 

OMG NO THANK YOU FOR READING IT!!! I need someone to discuss it with so bad :0 if you ever wanna talk about it or wanna comment on what you read pls pm me!!!

On 3/7/2023 at 1:04 PM, The Bookwyrm said:

I just re-read Speaker for the Dead by Orson Scott Card.

Now I'm re-reading Xenocide, and after that, Children of the Mind.

Have you read Shadows in Flight and The Last Shadow?

Do you recommend the series? Have you seen where we are trying to collect reading recommendations?

On 3/7/2023 at 4:58 PM, Wittles of Shinovar said:

Those are sequels to Ender's Game right? 

They are sequels to Ender's Story from Ender's game. Here's my self-made guide to the Enderverse:

Spoiler

64697d0689e92_EnderFullChronology.thumb.jpg.6289e4355cb51d12225f3316f3e5cc7f.jpg

So, in summary:

• Ender's Game / Ender's Shadow are the time preparing for the Third Bugger war and are companion stories
    • in that Ender's Shadow is Bean's Story (starting with him on Earth, but fairly similar to Game once he joins Dragon)
    • Ender's Game (both short story and novel version) are really where it all began, though they are the "center" for in-world chronology
  • First and Second Bugger War trilogies are mostly Mazer's backstory
  • Ender in Exile is for Andrew Wiggin post "Ender's Game" and incorporated many short stories (slightly modified for the Canon)
    • Ender in Exile also has some Connection to the Shadow Series and some spoilers for Shadow of the Giant
  • The Shadow Trilogy is Bean (and many other Battle School grads) back on Earth after Ender's Game
  • Shadows in Flight is Bean after the Shadow Trilogy
  • The Speaker Trilogy is Andrew's future (significantly after Ender in Exile)
    • This trilogy is much more cerebral, and that turns some readers off
    • This is also the Story Card really wanted to tell - and he mostly wrote Ender's Game as a sort-of "prequel"
  • The Last Shadow ties the end of both storylines back together

TL;DR: It's all connected, but not as linearly as most series - more like the Connections for Asimov's Robots/Empire/Foundation series.

1 hour ago, Treamayne said:

Do you recommend the series? Have you seen where we are trying to collect reading recommendations?

They are sequels to Ender's Story from Ender's game. Here's my self-made guide to the Enderverse:

Hide contents

64697d0689e92_EnderFullChronology.thumb.jpg.6289e4355cb51d12225f3316f3e5cc7f.jpg

So, in summary:

• Ender's Game / Ender's Shadow are the time preparing for the Third Bugger war and are companion stories
    • in that Ender's Shadow is Bean's Story (starting with him on Earth, but fairly similar to Game once he joins Dragon)
    • Ender's Game (both short story and novel version) are really where it all began, though they are the "center" for in-world chronology
  • Ender in Exile is for Andrew Wiggin post "Ender's Game" and incorporated many short stories (slightly modified for the Canon)
    • Ender in Exile also has some Connection to the Shadow Series and some spoilers for Shadow of the Giant
  • The Shadow Trilogy is Bean (and many other Battle School grads) back on Earth after Ender's Game
    • This is also the Story Card really wanted to tell - and he mostly wrote Ender's Game as a sort-of "prequel"

TL;DR: It's all connected, but not as linearly as most series - more like the Connections for Asimov's Robots/Empire/Foundation series.

Thank you for this, so, so much. I have been wondering about this for a while but haven't gotten myself together enough to actually look online.

And The Queen is not yet written, right? That's what TBR means?

11 hours ago, Treamayne said:

Reveal hidden contents

So, in summary:

I have read the entire Shadow Saga, yes. And Ender in Exile. But that's my extent.

• 2 weeks later...

Reading the Autumn Republic by Brian McClellan, and, wow, I just love his books. Might like him more than Brandon. I know, I know, blasphemous, but for some reason I just really like every one of his that I pick up.

Also reading Unseen Academicals by Sir Terry Pratchett.

Listening to tWoK. Just not a big fan of Michael Kraemer. Kate Reading is alright as far as femal narrators go, but Michael Kraemer doesn't have anything for me to latch on to.