What Are You Reading, Part 2

Chaos

My plan is to begin reading WoR after I purchase it from my local, independent bookstore today.  I tried to purchase it two days ago, but the Bookshop was already sold out!  Worst of all was that an unclaimed but pre-ordered volume was sitting on the shelf, unclaimed, in plain view when I approached the register.  At the time, the assistants contemplated calling the supposed orderer (since s/he hadn't elicited any interest in the volume in 24 hours), but placed my interest on order instead.  I'm so looking forward to claiming my copy of WoR later on this morning!  (Yeah, I should be sleeping; I was asleep and recently woke again.  Perhaps I'll get to sleep better tomorrow night long after yoga in the morning.  Please!)

Now what am I reading?

Rereading mostly.

Way of Kings.

Foundling by D.M Cornish.

Still reading paradise lost.

And A Clash of Kings. which I'm enjoying but when I'm not reading it I feel no motivation to continue.

Also started codex alera

and the second book in the Malazan series but haven't read much of them since.

Still pretty much this... but have now started WoR (on chapter 3) and am reading The Corser's Hinge by Cornish and Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb... going very slowly on all of them.

I'm reading WoR right now but beforehand, I was (very very slowly) reading through Memories of Ice.

Question to those who have finished the Malazan series: Does it consistently stay as "crazy" throughout the entire series? I noticed that in the first book, there were multiple moments the book could have ended on a cliffhanger with major climaxes, and that was only at the halfway mark. I really enjoyed that aspect.

(And for those who were having trouble reading the Malazan series, or even enjoyed it, read the Black Company series. It's where Malazan got its inspiration and a very well-done series involving excellent shades of grey. Plus, the author actually ties up his loose ends while providing a satisfying ending that actually makes sense.)

Edited by Kythis

• 3 weeks later...

I'm reading WoR right now but beforehand, I was (very very slowly) reading through Memories of Ice.

Question to those who have finished the Malazan series: Does it consistently stay as "crazy" throughout the entire series? I noticed that in the first book, there were multiple moments the book could have ended on a cliffhanger with major climaxes, and that was only at the halfway mark. I really enjoyed that aspect.

(And for those who were having trouble reading the Malazan series, or even enjoyed it, read the Black Company series. It's where Malazan got its inspiration and a very well-done series involving excellent shades of grey. Plus, the author actually ties up his loose ends while providing a satisfying ending that actually makes sense.)

Malazan is awesome and malazanempire.com is basically my internet home under the same username. The only time I stalled in the main 10 book arc was book 8 and I'm kinda in the minority with my peeps on that! It's just amazing but it requires you to pay attention and rereads are kinda a must to absorb every tidbit. Come join us there if y'all like!!!

6 is SO good as is 7 just to give you a goal to try to reach. 6&7 are my 2nd & 3rd fav.

Great! Yeah, I love the series, but I know many don't. It takes patience, but I feel it has paid off. I know some think that characters are unlikeable; I find that you just have to take what you're given. Erikson does not beat you over the head with character development. He doesn't beat you over the head with anything, really. I really enjoy his subtlety.

Edited by GreyPilgrim

You know there are books by Ian C Esslemont also right? If you want the full Malazan exp you should look them up and try to read them in order. Ex: ICE's 1st book takes place before before Gardens of Moon and his 2nd takes place between bks 6&7. You ll have to look up his 3 others as I'm not sure of the order. But they DEF enhance each other.

You know there are books by Ian C Esslemont also right? If you want the full Malazan exp you should look them up and try to read them in order. Ex: ICE's 1st book takes place before before Gardens of Moon and his 2nd takes place between bks 6&7. You ll have to look up his 3 others as I'm not sure of the order. But they DEF enhance each other.

I read Night of Knives before I started The Bonehunters, and did not really like it. It did provide some good back-information, but it didn't blow me away. I intend to read all of Esslemont's despite that; I've heard that he gets significantly better after his first, and I didn't dislike NoK so much that I am averse to reading anything of his. I am too addicted to Malazan now not to read anything set in the world!

I have to agree with Shivertongue about Gardens of the moon. I couldn't get past about 150 pages or so. I went into it with a lot of high expectations and they were all dashed pretty quickly. I've heard so much good about it once it gets going though that once I've finished what's currently on my plate I'd like to find a detailed plot summary of Gardens and see if Deadhouse is any good. If not I'll do the same thing and try book 3, but that's as far as I'm gonna go.

Currently rereading Stormlight Archive because I kind of rushed through it in my zeal to read WoR as fast as possible and get all the juicy goodness. The only problem with that is that now I have to go back and read it with the attention it deserves rather than the excitement I felt first off. ... not so much of a problem though, more of a bonus really, I suppose.

The Malazan books were hard to start but well worth pushing through until the world starts clicking together. I'd recommend giving them a second try. I've never felt the urge to reread them like I do a lot of my other favorite series but definitely happy to have read them at least once. If nothing else, they are well worth it just to experience Tehol and Bugg. By far, the funniest comedy duo in fantasy literature.

Edited by Awesomeness Summoned

It did take me several tries to finally get in to Gardens of the Moon, and it really took me until the third book to really like the series. I may re-read someday when I'm done, but the fact that the series is finished and I have been taking notes doesn't really make that necessary. And yes, Tehol and Bugg are amazing. In general I enjoy Erikson's dialogue and humor greatly; I may even have to blaspheme and say he is better than Brandon at them!

Eh. I felt like every Malazan book was 50-75% confusing setup, followed by tying of loose ends and clarifications in the remainder of the book. Followed by another book that's equally confusing in the first 50-75%... 

The endings usually made it all worthwhile, but the first half of each book always felt like a drag to me.

Eh. I felt like every Malazan book was 50-75% confusing setup, followed by tying of loose ends and clarifications in the remainder of the book. Followed by another book that's equally confusing in the first 50-75%...

The endings usually made it all worthwhile, but the first half of each book always felt like a drag to me.

I agree somewhat, although The Bonehunters kind of breaks that, what with the battle at Y'Ghatan about a quarter of the way in. That was as good as the ending of any other book, except maybe Memories of Ice.

I haven't found the setups to be too boring though. At this point in the series, at least I'm not being introduced to too many new characters per book, and I love a lot of them and can enjoy scenes regardless of how much plot development there is.