What Are You Reading, Part 2

Chaos

mmm. this is only my second time reading it (last time was 6 years ago). im also reading it so i can be smart by halloween because me and my gf are doing a percy/annabeth joint costume lol.

also, the more I read this series, the more I realize that I am a carbon copy of Perseus Jackson.

ADHD (95% certain I have it)

Same fatal flaw.

Same looks.

Same vibe.

Blond haired girlfriends.

Badass blond haired girlfriends.

Enjoys the sea and bodies of water.

i cannot stress this enough i am literally percy jackson bruh.

1 hour ago, The Unknown Novel said:

Edit: @Dunkum, I personally find the back and forth very nice since it allows things to be explained in interesting ways. it also allows for meta stories.

Reveal hidden contents

Like Jean's false identity being resurrected only a few chapters later rather than several years.

LoLL is my favorite book though, so I probably see it through different eyes.

it's been a bit since I last read it, so I don't remember if the structure pays off in the end.  I've seen things where that sort of thing ends up working out thematically or whatever, but right now it is just frustrating

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

I'm currently reading "thrawn ascendency" but I'm going to try and finish it quickly so I can re-read mistborn era 2 before the lost metal comes out.

Sry for all the attachments, I don't know how to get rid of them, especially on mobile

Edited by The hunter

59 minutes ago, The hunter said:

I'm currently reading "thrawn ascendency" but I'm going to try and finish it quickly so I can re-read mistborn era 2 before the lost metal comes out.

Sry for all the attachments, I don't know how to get rid of them, especially on mobile

Lots of backspacing. If you backspace on the line after them, it should highlight them in blue, then backspace again to delete. I did just that in the quote. I did need to go down one then click on the original line to do it. If you just mess around with it a little it will probably go away.

10 hours ago, The Unknown Novel said:

Lots of backspacing. If you backspace on the line after them, it should highlight them in blue, then backspace again to delete. I did just that in the quote. I did need to go down one then click on the original line to do it. If you just mess around with it a little it will probably go away.

Doesn't work on mobile for some reason. The only way I've found to delete them is reloading the page before posting. It will then save a draft of whatever you have written, tags included, and when you open it, it will give you the option to delete the whole thing. You'd have to copy whatever you want to salvage before reloading though. The moment you make any change to the draft, the button to delete it disappears. 

44 minutes ago, Eluvianii said:

Doesn't work on mobile for some reason. The only way I've found to delete them is reloading the page before posting. It will then save a draft of whatever you have written, tags included, and when you open it, it will give you the option to delete the whole thing. You'd have to copy whatever you want to salvage before reloading though. The moment you make any change to the draft, the button to delete it disappears. 

I do it on mobile all the time. Look:

12 hours ago, The hunter said:

I deleted it. On mobile 

1 hour ago, The Unknown Novel said:

I do it on mobile all the time. Look:

I deleted it. On mobile 

Weird. I just tried and it's the same as ever. Which is to say, I can obviously delete the contents, but if I select the box itself and press backspace, the keyboard disappears and the box stays. If I put the cursor under the box instead and press backspace, it just jumps inside it and starts deleting the text. If I delete all the text and keep pressing it, same scenario, the keyboard disappears and the box stays. 

I don't know if it depends on the phone, but apparently mine can't do it. 

18 minutes ago, Eluvianii said:

Weird. I just tried and it's the same as ever. Which is to say, I can obviously delete the contents, but if I select the box itself and press backspace, the keyboard disappears and the box stays. If I put the cursor under the box instead and press backspace, it just jumps inside it and starts deleting the text. If I delete all the text and keep pressing it, same scenario, the keyboard disappears and the box stays. 

I don't know if it depends on the phone, but apparently mine can't do it. 

Your phone has a cursor? Here's how I do it:

I go to the one below the spoiler:

Screenshot_20220809-154428_Chrome.thumb.jpg.fd23ff28024993194743bcf1a3bb9856.jpg

then I backspace:

Screenshot_20220809-154433_Chrome.thumb.jpg.9bd88f91100d63c08f135bb612f00a4e.jpg

then I backspace again:

Screenshot_20220809-154438_Chrome.thumb.jpg.8718c1d05d0f9a231b1a867ef54bc581.jpg

and it deletes.

22 minutes ago, The Unknown Novel said:

Your phone has a cursor? Here's how I do it:

Not a literal cursor, I meant the line that appears when you write. But yeah, it's what I described. See.

I go below the box

Screenshot_20220809_161054_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.4d1fb6b2ea464dcc5ee46f75c49297ce.jpg

Press backspace. 

Screenshot_20220809_161057_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.15e3b9d1fd968c2f56c23e6d83464642.jpg

It jumps inside the box and if I keep pressing backspace nothing happens. Alternatively if I touch the box itself, so it's selected. 

Screenshot_20220809_161127_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.27a06511e4946bf0e2fe4da9cdcc82ee.jpg

And press backspace, the keyboard disappears and the box stays. As I said, it doesn't work on my phone so I'm guessing neither in Hunter's.

Heck, I just left the box below because I didn't want to reload the page and have to start over.

Don't want to derail the thread too much but yeah, that's what happens. 

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Spren of Kindness said:

So I read A Man Called Ove today.

I don't understand how Sweden works.  Doesn't matter.  I cried.

It's a really good book.  There were a few things that hit home very hard.  Definitely read it if you also feel like crying over grumpy Swedish almost-grandpas.

I love that book!! It's a beautiful story and Fredrik Backman always hits home with his novels. For me, these kinds of books really change my perspectives and make me think about the world in a different way

Just now, Shining Silhouette said:

I love that book!! It's a beautiful story and Fredrik Backman always hits home with his novels. For me, these kinds of books really change my perspectives and make me think about the world in a different way

I don't know if they change my perspective so much as I read one and then cry about the same thing happening in my own life, but yeah.  They make you think.  One of the things I like is that I can say it doesn't matter that Sweden doesn't make sense to me.  The important parts are international, so to speak.

Funnily enough, I went back and checked, and this time last year was when I read And Every Morning The Way Home Gets Longer And Longer... which also made me cry.

38 minutes ago, Morningtide said:

I started I Am Not Serial Killer by Dan Wells. It's fascinating!

Oh, that's a good one! Dan Wells' writing is some of my favorite, even if it does often put me off my lunch (or my faith in humanity) sometimes.

May I recommend the movie as well?

1 hour ago, Morningtide said:

43 minutes ago, Slowswift said:

Oh, that's a good one! Dan Wells' writing is some of my favorite, even if it does often put me off my lunch (or my faith in humanity) sometimes.

My only complaint is the titles in the series aren't conducive to people thinking highly of your sanity.

On 8/8/2022 at 10:52 PM, The hunter said:

Hello fellow Star Wars nerd! Everything Thrawn is amazing if you have time and you like him a lot you can watch Rebels which he is in. It is a kids show but he just makes it awesome.

13 hours ago, The Unknown Novel said:

It is an amazing series I just finished it I think the author does a really good job with the characters

On 11/08/2022 at 5:41 AM, Spren of Kindness said:

So I read A Man Called Ove today.

I don't understand how Sweden works.  Doesn't matter.  I cried.

It's a really good book.  There were a few things that hit home very hard.  Definitely read it if you also feel like crying over grumpy Swedish almost-grandpas.

I've read that too! One of my favourites. I love his books.

My first post here.

Just finished a novel titled The Space Between Worlds by Micaiah Johnson - highly recommended!  The author does a terrific job of weaving flawed yet relatable characters in a near-future multiverse story.  It's not "high art" or true hard SF, but it's not intended to be.  It only took me three days to read - a fun three days!

It's complex enough to be really interesting, but not so dense that it gave me a headache.  Some of the plot twists I saw coming, while others really came out of left field... yet they made sense.  At turns funny, tense, horrifying, and heartwarming, it had many of the same features that make Sanderson so enjoyable to read for me.

Edited by AquaRegia
better wording

On 8/10/2022 at 8:18 PM, Slowswift said:

I will watch that! Thanks. Dan Wells is an incredible author. I love the style of his prose. 

Continuing to work my way through The Dresden Files for the first time.  I'm still curious how the whole escalation thing is going to work, since in a lot of things I've read, things get steadily more intense and difficult as characters grow and get stronger, and I know there are a lot of Dresden books.

I'm also going to be reading The Shadow Rising soon, whenever it turns up.

Edited by Spren of Kindness