What Are You Reading, Part 2

Chaos

Finished the first arc of Pact, which isn't saying much, it's only 8 chapters. But I can't believe how much I'm liking this. The magic system is interesting though it's taking its time to be explained. The two protagonists are both amazing at times and frustrating at others. The initial premise is weirdly complex and extremely tense. I keep waiting for the moment when things will settle down a little but every moment feels like a risk. And in general I love the writing style.

Enchanted Glass, by Diana Wynne Jones. I'd forgotten how good a writer she was; I enjoy her books as much, if not more, as I did when I was a kid.

Other than that, I've been a bit burned out on reading recently. Been watching a lot of stuff, but this isn't the thread for that.

2 hours ago, Robin Sedai said:

Enchanted Glass, by Diana Wynne Jones. I'd forgotten how good a writer she was; I enjoy her books as much, if not more, as I did when I was a kid.

Other than that, I've been a bit burned out on reading recently. Been watching a lot of stuff, but this isn't the thread for that.

I've been meaning to reread that one! I love her stuff, but I remember I didn't like it when I first read it (young me didn't appreciate character arcs back then). It wasn't bad, I just wasn't quite satisfied, and I'd like to give it another shot.

4 hours ago, Robin Sedai said:

Enchanted Glass, by Diana Wynne Jones.

Hold up. No way.

*frantic googling*

Enchanted Glass was written by Diana Wynne Jones!? I mean, in retrospect, it makes sense. :P I never really paid attention to author names when I was younger. 

4 hours ago, Morningtide said:

I'm reading Ink and Bone, which is an amazing book about a possibly evil library and one kid sent to join it. Very good; not Brandon level, but very good. 

That sounds... oddly like Alcatraz vs the evil librarians.

Coincidentally, I am reading Alcatraz vs the Knights of Crystallia.

And Rage of Dragons by Evan Winter.

And just finished Rythm of War.

As well as a Plague of Giants by Kevin Hearne.

Not to mention the Edge of the World by Kevin J. Anderson.

I've been busy.

Edit: I forgot to mention, I also just finished the Name of the Wind.

Edited by The Unknown Novel

I'm rereading Chronicle of the Dark Star by Kevin Emerson.  It's a trilogy, and I've finished Last Day On Mars and am almost done with The Oceans Between Stars.  So, tomorrow will be The Shores Beyond Time. 

These books honestly have some of my favorite titles, and the writing is really good as well.  So far as middle-grade sci-fi goes, this is among the best, and actually is better than almost all the YA sci-fi I've read.  I haven't read enough adult sci-fi yet to know what I think about it's standings.

Thursday I'll hopefully be starting either Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? or Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea.

So, I read both Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep? and 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea, as well as Fall of the Argosi, which seems to be part of a larger universe.  I thought it was pretty interesting, and the world seemed fairly unique.  The Starless Crown was pretty good.

Next up: The last Shadow Children book and The Lost Fleet: Outlands: Boundless.  Three layers of titles deep; that's a new one for me.

I'm going to read other things, but summer is about to officially begin and I'm not entirely sure of the legality of taking library books across national boundaries, so I'll probably be reading less for a while.

the lesson of the moth, which is a 1927 poem by Don Marquis. I really liked it, so I've posted it below.

Spoiler

the lesson of the moth

i was talking to a moth
the other evening
he was trying to break into
an electric light bulb
and fry himself on the wires

why do you fellows
pull this stunt i asked him
because it is the conventional
thing for moths or why
if that had been an uncovered
candle instead of an electric
light bulb you would
now be a small unsightly cinder
have you no sense

plenty of it he answered
but at times we get tired
of using it
we get bored with the routine
and crave beauty
and excitement
fire is beautiful
and we know that if we get
too close it will kill us
but what does that matter
it is better to be happy
for a moment
and be burned up with beauty
than to live a long time
and be bored all the while
so we wad all our life up
into one little roll
and then we shoot the roll
that is what life is for
it is better to be a part of beauty
for one instant and then cease to
exist than to exist forever
and never be a part of beauty
our attitude toward life
is come easy go easy
we are like human beings
used to be before they became
too civilized to enjoy themselves

and before i could argue him
out of his philosophy
he went and immolated himself
on a patent cigar lighter
i do not agree with him
myself i would rather have
half the happiness and twice
the longevity

but at the same time i wish
there was something i wanted
as badly as he wanted to fry himself

Edited by Robin Sedai
got the date wrong

Finally got around to finishing Dame Christie’s The Secret Adversary. I’ve mostly been reading on the shuttle ride at work, usually one chapter each ride, but I got terribly sick during the middle so I needed to take care of myself first so I only just finished it.

It was a pretty good mystery, though it’s categorized more as a spy thriller. I had kept going back and forth on who the perp was and I was down to two heading towards the climax and one of the two was correct. Supposedly the perp is one of those ‘you’ll never even guess’ suspects but I had him on my list halfway through after one key person ended up dead and he was one of only three people there so it had to be one of them.

Onto the next Christie book, Murder on the Links

I'm not sure I'm going to haul my 1200 page Jane Austen collection on a week-long mission trip (it's very nice quality and also heavy), but I estimate I can definitely finish Sense and Sensibility before that if I choose not to bring it. 

Honestly, I really adore this book.  I usually read fantasy and science fiction with quite high stakes, and modern social situations confuse me to no end, but older works like this are just the right level of removed from modern norms that I can enjoy the story, social-event based though it often is, and the writing style is so comforting that even situations that might normally give me second-hand embarrassment do not do so quite so significantly.

I might go through in order and read Pride and Prejudice next, but I might also skip over that straight to Mansfield Park.  Who knows?  I certainly don't.

Currently going through The Door Into Winter by Rob Howell as well as Ceephay Queen by Joel Shepherd. I’m about 2/3 through the former and just started the latter, but it’s hook 8 of one of my favorite space operas. Lots of good reading of late.

Edited by Stampede