What Are You Reading, Part 2

Chaos

Got myself a book and a graphic novel to read until all my other books arrive. The titles are The Name of the Wind (10th Anniversary Edition) by Patrick Rothfuss and Magical Boy by thekao. I’ve read the free chapters of Magical Boy on Tapas and it’s a good story where it’s a magical girl world but the main character is trans male so he has to deal with all that entails from his mother, the previous magical girl, and the transformation outfit starting out as a very girly dress. Highly recommend this story since it tells a trans story without being exploitive or unrealistic.

Still going through the Throne of Glass series. I'm annoyed because they're really good but I've had to skip two parts because the content got... bad.:( I like the series enough that I don't want to stop reading tho. The plot is amazing

Also reading Scythe. Scythe is quite good.

My mother suggested I go to work as a guest tomorrow and kind of observe how things are done so I decided to get myself a couple cozies for some people watching material and not resort to my phone. I got The Mysterious Affair at Styles, The Murder at the Vicarage and The Secret Adversary all by Dame Agatha Christie. These are all the first books featuring Poirot, Miss Marple and Tommy and Tuppence respectively. Yes older stories like these tend to be a little… unsavory to modern audiences but I have a cutoff point for that type of thing. If it’s the 60’s onwards I will be upset if they include bigotry stuff but anything older I forgive since it’s a different time and they didn’t know better so I’m fine reading it. Yes I might cringe when it shows up but I’m not going to go on a rant over a book from the 20’s or even the Victorian era making uncouth stereotypes that were widely believed as being true back then.

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Elf said:

Aurora Rising by Jay Kristoff and Amie Kaufman (i hope i spelled that right)

What do you think of it?  I'd be curious to hear your thoughts when you finish the whole trilogy as well.

I picked up The Ruin of Kings recently, and enjoyed it pretty well.  I've actually been reading a ton recently - almost completely though the Left Behind series, reread The Lost Planet and its sequel, The Stolen Moon (still hoping for the final book one day...), and am going to start a WondLa reread in the upcoming weeks.  I've read more things, but these ones were my favorites.

57 minutes ago, Spren of Kindness said:

What do you think of it?  I'd be curious to hear your thoughts when you finish the whole trilogy as well.

I picked up The Ruin of Kings recently, and enjoyed it pretty well.  I've actually been reading a ton recently - almost completely though the Left Behind series, reread The Lost Planet and its sequel, The Stolen Moon (still hoping for the final book one day...), and am going to start a WondLa reread in the upcoming weeks.  I've read more things, but these ones were my favorites.

Its really amazing. I love it already. :D Though, Jay Kristoff has shot up on my favorite authors list after Nevernight so I pretty much knew i would like the book. 

You've started reading The Ruin of Kings? Lucky. I've wanted to read it for the past two years but its just too expensive over here :(. 

7 minutes ago, Elf said:

Its really amazing. I love it already. :D Though, Jay Kristoff has shot up on my favorite authors list after Nevernight so I pretty much knew i would like the book. 

You've started reading The Ruin of Kings? Lucky. I've wanted to read it for the past two years but its just too expensive over here :(. 

If you're talking about the Jenn Lyons book, yes, I read it last weekend!  It was pretty good, I think that it has some really fascinating concepts.

Edit: Oh gosh, I didn't realize there were more books in the series!

Edited by Spren of Kindness

3 minutes ago, Spren of Kindness said:

If you're talking about the Jenn Lyons book, yes, I read it last weekend!  It was pretty good, I think that it has some really fascinating concepts.

Edit: Oh gosh, I didn't realize there were more books in the series!

:o:D

Got to the part in RoW where

Spoiler

Kaladin asks Wit to tell him a story. That gesture is the one thing so far in this book that has pushed me to tears. Storms, what a good chapter. 

(posting that thought here because until I'm finished, I'm scared of setting foot into the Stormlight subforum) 

I’m reading Shadows of Self.

It’s taking me a minute because I have to read books for school. I’m currently at the part:

Spoiler

Spoilers under this

Spoiler

Wax is at the bar and Wayne made everyone’s drinks super good. I too, am afraid of going into the Mistborn sub forum. Since I’ve accidentally spoiled stuff for myself in sharcasts :P

RoW is so good! 

13 minutes ago, Eluvianii said:

Got to the part in RoW where

Hide contents

Kaladin asks Wit to tell him a story. That gesture is the one thing so far in this book that has pushed me to tears. Storms, what a good chapter. 

(posting that thought here because until I'm finished, I'm scared of setting foot into the Stormlight subforum) 

I love that part, that story has a special place in my heart.

On 3/6/2022 at 11:19 AM, aneonfoxtribute said:

After I finish Jade Legacy, which I'm going to try to do this week, I'm probably gonna watch Daniel Greene's video on Lord of Chaos and then get back into Wheel of Time. Hopefully now I'll be able to read it consistently because of what my schedule is like, I've been able to read more consistently now

I lied I still want to finish Gideon and actually read Cytonic before WoT. Maybe finish Kingdom of Liars too. 

Gone by Michael Grant, Cast in Firelight by Dana Swift, and Empire of Silence by Christopher Ruocchio are my stand-outs of the week, particularly Empire of Silence.  This book is really good.  It might be my favorite epic sci-fi of all time, not that I've read many of those.  And of course, my trend of liking the characters who don't get as much time continues.

Finished Crying in H Mart by Michelle Zauner (of Japanese Breakfast). That was fantastic, although at times hard to read. I did not expect the prose to be this great, given that it's the debut book by a musician, but then I found out that she studied Creative Writing for a few years, so that makes sense now. One of the best and most emotional books I've read in the last few years for sure.

Edited by Elegy