What Are You Reading, Part 2

Chaos

Recently wrapped up The Torch That Ignites The Stars (Book 3 of Arcane Ascension) & Defying Destiny (Book 3 of War of Broken Mirrors) & Soulbrand (Book 3 of Weapons and Wielders) all written by Andrew Rowe and set in the same universe. And just wow. The characters and the magic system are amazing. Absolutely recommend if you're looking for something similar in scope to the Cosmere. The magic system, the magic system, the magic system... Squeeeeeeee! It subverts expectations, so I won't say much except that it's good, and don't go in expecting LitRPG, it's only one in name (thankfully... sorry, just not really into the genre), the author himself prefers the term progression fantasy and that fits.

Also completed the Mage Errant series and ooh boy, I had severely low expectations. Book 1 was so meh, so full of tropes, it was unbelievable. Book 2 was also meh. Books 3, 4 & 5 on the other hand... were on fire. A lot of people did like the first two books actually, very comfortable, nostalgic, well-worn is how they described them. I think you get the gist. The magic system here is also just superb. This is also a broad scope multiverse, right now the hints are only in the appendices at the end of the books and a few scattered mentions, including a major one in the Lost City of Ithos (Book 4). Despite the YA tones of the first two books, the series dives into pretty dark stuff at times later on and the characters mature really well, and all of it is written really well. I'm vibrating here, trying not to give spoilers. There's another standalone book set in the same multiverse (the Aetheriad) called the Wrack, which is really unique. It follows the course of a plague in a world and so is pretty grimdark. The magic system here in this book is very unique. People replace their eyeballs with gemstones. There's... a sort of proto internet magic. It's all really cool. I'm doing a terrible job of selling this... just give it a try, it's good.

Edited by Honorless

On 8/18/2021 at 3:18 PM, Spren of Kindness said:

I'm about to start And Every Morning The Way Home Gets Longer And Longer by Fredrick Backman.  I've heard it's a very emotional book.  Excited to see how it goes!

I cried.  More than once.  It grabbed all the emotions about similar things in my own life, and dragged them right out into the open again, in a heart-wrenching, but cathartic way.

I also finished Knife of Dreams, because what better way to stall making a skirt, then reading about skirt smoothing?

Next up, six Jane Austen novels, and Unfinished Tales of Numenor and Middle-Earth.

Stuff Im reading the rest of this year

Children of Dune, God Emperor of Dune, Heretics of Due, Chapterhouse of Dune

the Butlerian Jihad Trilogy Dune prequel

Star Wars High Republic Light of the Jedi hardcover

Star Wars High Republic Rising Storm

the original Forrest Gump novel and its sequel 

Just got done reading a Plague of Giants, cannot recommend enough especially if you're a fan of Kingkiller, because it's as if you took Kingkiller's structure and mixed it with SA's scope. The only problem is that its magic system is a little softer than most people on this site are used.

I'm reading its sequel and after that I'm going to read another book by its author. 

56 minutes ago, Spren of Kindness said:

Read Ashfall Legacy by Pittacus Lore.  I really liked it!

Gonna start The Gathering Storm very soon.

I need to reread I Am Number Four and read the stuff released after United As One. I don't remember anything about the series despite loving it a lot as a teenager, and I never picked up the books that released after the main series ended.

4 hours ago, aneonfoxtribute said:

I need to reread I Am Number Four and read the stuff released after United As One. I don't remember anything about the series despite loving it a lot as a teenager, and I never picked up the books that released after the main series ended.

I tried I Am Number Four and couldn't get through the first thirty pages.  I may try again now that I've read a book from the author that I like.

Started Secret History since apparently the last 500 pages of RoW are better if you have, and it's a bit weird. I loved Kelsier back when I read TFE. Now at times I like him a lot and at times I dislike him a lot. I guess it's a good thing but it's a weird change in perception. 

On 8/30/2021 at 5:15 PM, Eluvianii said:

Started Secret History since apparently the last 500 pages of RoW are better if you have, and it's a bit weird. I loved Kelsier back when I read TFE. Now at times I like him a lot and at times I dislike him a lot. I guess it's a good thing but it's a weird change in perception. 

Oh boy oh boy, my favorite novella in the cosmere. What did you think? Feel free to post on my profile or whatever if you wanna do open spoilers

On 4/9/2021 at 6:55 PM, NattyBo said:

Oh boy oh boy, my favorite novella in the cosmere. What did you think? Feel free to post on my profile or whatever if you wanna do open spoilers

Just finished. It was really good. I probably don't like it as much as The Emperor's Soul but it was mind blowing in more ways than one.

Spoiler

I still struggle with Kelsier. He has a lot of good intentions but he's extremely prone to hate and talks about torture like it was a game. Like, he can meet someone and after a minute he's already threatening with torture both physical and psychological and meaning it, I mean, how do you even manage to actually, honestly hate a person you just met? To wish such extreme harm on them? I didn't even need to make up the example, it's literally what happens. I like the guy but he's most definitely a villain waiting for a hero to oppose.

Overall the book gives as many questions as it does answers. Of course the questions and the answers don't match but that's probably the point. Like a trailer of what's to come in the Cosmere, while explaining the unseen bits of Era 1. 

This also gives me the only thing I missed in Era 1. Namely, a glimpse into Spook's life after the book, and Vin and Elend stepping into the Beyond. So I'm satisfied with that. 

I also didn't expect to get so emotional while reliving the final fight. Freaking Vin, man. I need to reread that, after so long her arc is more a concept in my head than an actual story but seeing her here really made me remember that there's a journey behind her. Also I don't think Spook took a lot of protagonism in my head during my first read, so there's another incentive.

I'm excited to see where Kel goes, somewhere that will let him become an actual hero I hope, and not just a murderer who happens to kill people the masses hate. 

Edited by Eluvianii

I was supposed to catch up to my friends in reading Heir to the Empire, but instead reread the entire Lunar Chronicle quadrilogy. In one day. (Which isn't saying much for the first 2-3 books, since they're pretty short, all things considered.) Tomorrow I'll get back to Star Wars. 

Edited by Use the Falchion

Finished Heir to the Empire. I'll probably do a full write-up when I finish the entire trilogy, but as it stands, I really enjoyed the story. The bittersweet news is that it made me dislike the ST and Post-OT material that Disney has come out with. Not all of Legends is/was great, and not all of it should have been made/kept Canon...but after reading the first book, I understand why fans would be upset that this isn't canon. Again, I'll probably do a full write-up when I finish the entire trilogy. 

Anyone here ever read Ken Follet's Pillars of the Earth book series? Are the any good? I was digging through some storage boxes that has all my Star Wars and Stephen King books etc and found the paperbacks of Follet's Pillars of the Earth books 1 and 2 and was thinking about throwing them away but ive always been curious if his books especially sort of historical fiction books are worth reading?