What Are You Reading, Part 2

Chaos

15 minutes ago, Spren of Kindness said:

Finished The Eye of the World, and am now reading Fires of Heaven.  So far, it's pretty good.  Question: could someone tell me the ages of some of the main characters, specifically the Emond's Fielders?  I'd go on the wiki, but I don't want to spoil myself.

Stolen from Reddit:

• Egwene al’Vere — b. 981 (17)

• Elayne Trakand — b. 981 (17)

• Lan Mandragoran — b. 953 (45)

• Loial — b. 908 (90)

• Mat Cauthon — b. 978 (19)

• Min Farshaw — b. 975 (23)

• Moiraine Damodred — b. 956 (42)

• Nynaeve al’Maera — b. 974 (24)

• Perrin Aybara — b. 978 (19)

• Rand al'Thor — b. 978 (19)

• Siuan Sanche— b. 958 (40)

• Tam al'Thor — b. 940 NE (58)

• Thom Merrilin — b. after 938 NE (max 60)

• Verin Mathwin — b.849 (149)

• Adeleas Namelle — b. 735 (263)

• Vandene Namelle — b. 737 (261)

Source: https://amp.reddit.com/r/WoT/comments/77lmqr/how_old_are_the_characters_at_the_start_of_the/

@Orlionra, thank you!

I finished The Fires of Heaven.  It turns out that nursing a bad case of allergies from lawn mowing gives one plenty of time to read.  A few spoilers I wanted to comment on:

Spoiler

Logain has become one of my favorite characters in this book, despite him not doing much.  I'm hoping there'll be more of him in future books.  At the same time, I'm also liking Mat a bit more in this book, especially seeing the ancient tactics man come out.  (As another note, Logain's line 'she sold me to Aes Sedai' was the first major emotion that WOT caused.  I felt really bad for the guy.

Also, I'm throwing in on Rand x Elayne, solely because of the one mention that she apparently has hair similar to Lews Therin's wife Ilyena, not because I agree with that particular pairing.  (Why do we need a love square?) 

Gotta admit, when I started thinking it was a bit strange that there hadn't been much major character death, I was not expecting... that.

My exact words upon the balefiring of Rahvin?  'Well fiddlesticks.  Now you've done it.  You've gone and broke the space-time continuum, you idiot.'

Should I go to the WOT board for future books?  The further I go in the series, the more commentary I have, and I don't want to put this stuff in the wrong place.

I got a lot of books from the library, so I'll probably read Crash and Specials, just to finish off those two series, or maybe Ben-Hur.

On 6/30/2021 at 3:02 PM, Spren of Kindness said:

Finished The Eye of the World, and am now reading Fires of Heaven.  So far, it's pretty good.  Question: could someone tell me the ages of some of the main characters, specifically the Emond's Fielders?  I'd go on the wiki, but I don't want to spoil myself.

You skipped quite a few books if you went from Eye to Fires.

1 hour ago, Briar King said:

You skipped quite a few books if you went from Eye to Fires.

I was rereading Eye of the World.  I read it about this time last year, but then I went six months before reading The Great Hunt, and subsequently had forgotten almost everything.  Plus, I just bought my own copy of EOTW, so I really wanted to use it.  Edit:  I actually finished EOTW in early August 2020, and read The Great Hunt in March 2021, so closer to eight months.

Funnily enough, I just noticed this notification as I finished up Lord of Chaos.  I think it's the shortest amount of time I've needed to read a WOT book so far.  I started yesterday morning, and it took between seven and ten hours to finish.  It was pretty good.  The same fairly minor complaints I've had so far.  I'm thinking of writing them up, along with what I like, to do something with when I finish the series.

Other stuff I've read: Crash by Eve Silver, Specials by Scot Westerfeld, Ben-Hur, Ember by Anna Holmes, Sky Without Stars, The Star-Touched Queen, The Inventor's Secret, and Dark Shores by Danielle L. Jensen.  Mostly YA.  The Star-Touched Queen was particularly good.

Edited by Spren of Kindness

• 2 weeks later...

Got through A Crown of Swords, which is probably my least favorite of Wheel of Time book so far, and The Path of Daggers, as well as Ruin and Rising, so now I'm done with Shadow and Bone.  It was okay.  I actually got a little emotional at the end, so I think it was pretty well done.  Probably not going to read Six of Crows.

I got An Ember in the Ashes and Light of the Jedi, both of which I've heard a lot about, so we'll see how good those are.

2 hours ago, Spren of Kindness said:

Got through A Crown of Swords, which is probably my least favorite of Wheel of Time book so far, and The Path of Daggers, as well as Ruin and Rising, so now I'm done with Shadow and Bone.  It was okay.  I actually got a little emotional at the end, so I think it was pretty well done.  Probably not going to read Six of Crows.

I got An Ember in the Ashes and Light of the Jedi, both of which I've heard a lot about, so we'll see how good those are.

Light of the Jedi was fun. I'll be reading it's sequel, The Rising Storm, soon

3 hours ago, Spren of Kindness said:

Oh, I didn't know it had a sequel.  Neat!

Just came out!

It's part of the High Republic portion of Star Wars that is using different "mediums" to tell stories in a time a few hundred years before Episode 1.

So books ("adult", YA, middle grade and children's),  comics and eventually manga a little later this year. 

Get in on the ground floor on canon that won't be acknowledged anywhere else! *laugh-sobs*

1 hour ago, Spren of Kindness said:

About to start Crossroads of Twilight!  I've hit the double digits of WOT, which for some reason feels like an accomplishment.

Good luck! That's where I stopped due to life happening. 

From what I heard, it is the weakest, buuuut important stuff still happens in it. 

6 hours ago, Spren of Kindness said:

Finished Crossroads of Twilight!  Overall, positive feelings.  Next up, a stack of sci-fi and natural disaster/survival fiction, and I expect Knife of Dreams pretty soon.  At this rate, I just might be able to finish the series by mid-September.

That's good to hear. I always suspected fans are harder on a series as it's going on then it may deserve. 

Crossroads was awful in the context of the time of its publishing (I still thought it had its moments but man was it disappointing after Winter's Heart), but it works far better when you don't have three plus years to wait for Knife of Dreams, which was excellent.  All downhill from here, imo!

I'm not a big poetry reader, but I got a book called Alone, by Megan Freeman, about a girl in an abandoned town.  The whole thing is written in verse, though I'm not sure what kind.  It's not rhyming.  I enjoyed it quite a bit.

I also read If We Survive by Andrew Klavan, which I have described to friends as the 'every Christian parent's worst nightmare' plot.  It was good.  Shorter that I would have liked, but still a good length.

Next up:  Into the Black by Evan Currie, an adult sci-fi about a starship's maiden voyage, and Knife of Dreams!