What Are You Reading, Part 2

Chaos

Just finished the first four books (novellas?) of The Murderbot Diaries by Maggie Wells. Highly, highly recommend. Each are about 150-200 pages, so very short compared to *hem* Sanderson. 

It's about an anxious, socially awkward, sarcastic security robot who (rather accurately) nicknamed itself Murderbot after it hacked its governor module and became independent. Except, what does Murderbot do with all this new found freedom? Well, it isn't really sure. All it knows is that it keeps having to save the dumb, fragile humans when all it wants to do is watch soap operas. 

Never thought I'd connect so deeply to a robot.  

Fantastic, witty thrillers that are so easy to inhale. I read the four my library had in four days and am now waiting for the fifth one on hold. 

On page 216 of Mistborn: Hero of Ages.  Been in pretty big reading slump since January.  Haven’t finished, or really even read much of, anything I’ve started since then.  Had a hankering to finally finish Mistborn and I read all that just yesterday.  Hoping I can get through the slump!

Finished Ruins.  It was good - not my favorite, but good.  I also read A Farewell to Arms, mostly on a whim, and it was an interesting book.  Unfortunately, I don't have any stronger feelings on it.  I also finished Strike, and it is one good book.  The ending literally gave me end of LOTR/HOA emotions.

Finished The Light Fantastic and while I didn’t like it as much as The Colour of Magic I still enjoyed it more. I liked seeing Rincewind being happy in the end after getting the spell out of his head. The sequence where the Discworld was saved was almost surreal to the point I’m not sure if that was actually the result of the spells or what the space turtle was going to do anyway and it was just a massive coincidence (wouldn’t put it Terry to have that be the case)

I’m taking a tiny break because I got the notification for Kickstarter for Dawnshard so I don’t want to start something else and drop it in the middle.

Am now going to read Dawnshard and afterwards will reattempt to read Rhythms of War. I first started reading it when it first came out in November but at the time I wasn’t in the mood, I wasn’t having a good life at that point so a book starting with war stuff wasn’t what I needed at that point and I was getting lost on the stuff that is mentioned being shown in Dawnshard so I put it down after 7 or 8 chapters.

Also reading the Pokemon Adventures manga at home. It has been a long time since I even read this manga or even bought manga. I got enough to finish the Red, Blue and Green chapter along with the Yellow chapter so I got the first three omnibuses. This series is going to be crazy since these omnibuses will be 10 volumes and it only goes to the end of Emerald meaning I will have to find a different way to read Diamond and Pearl onwards.

Got me a little stack of books recently, the first of which was Einstein's Trunk, a thriller. Not bad--I quite enjoyed it, actually!--but it needed to be at least 50% longer. The pacing felt a bit off.

On a whim, I also picked up the first volume of a manga called Yukarism. Looks good so far! I'm not used the the manga format, so it's taking some getting used to, but I think we'll get there in the end.

I've finished two books:  Krakatoa: The Day the World Exploded by Simon Winchester, and Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury.  Krakatoa was really, really good.  I was expecting something a little drier and more sciencey jargon, and though there is some of that, it's actually really engaging and well told.  I'm definitely going to be looking into some of his other books.  Apparently there's one on the San Francisco earthquake in 1906.  That should be interesting.

I read Fahrenheit 451 when I was much younger, and didn't understand it.  Rereading it now, I'm really impressed.  I really enjoy Bradbury's writing style, and the ending is so... I don't know.  It sticks with you.

In addition to Dawnshard I’m also reading some manga. I’m doing a few chapters before bed since they are long runners. The one I’m currently on is Pokémon Adventures: Red, Blue and Green Chapter. I got the omnibus editions so I’ve got three volumes (volume 2 is in the mail) and that is just the first 9 volumes of the tankobans which will bring me into the third story arc overall. These editions will be 10 volumes containing the first 29 tankobans containing all the story to the end of the Hoenn region (pretty much RBG, Y, GSC, RS, FRLG, E) and they haven’t said anything yet on if Sinnoh onwards will get the omnibus treatment or not.

The other manga I’m going to be reading is Detective Conan/Case Closed. The age range is hard to talk about since in Japan it’s marketed towards kids but by US standards it’s too mature for kids but too kiddy for teens/adults so Viz Media has a hard time finding the right marketing tool for this.

There are others I want to get into or back into since some have finished their run (Silver Spoon and Food Wars) or sound awesome (The Way of the Househusband where a former Yakuza boss becomes a househusband and deals with the role like a yakuza would!) so I’m looking into those as well.

Well, I did it. I finished Hero of Ages.  Was it good?  Well, I read from page 424, all the way to the end of the book, page 724, in one single sitting.  So you tell me, lol.  Have Alloy of Law right next to me, but that was a good couple hours and I'm hungry, so food comes first, lol.

Got 5 of the 7 volumes of Detective Conan I ordered on Amazon (waiting on 3 and 7) and was surprised that the names were changed. They used the names that the anime dub used and when looking at the wiki it looks like only those that were in the first 130? episodes had their names changed to sound more ‘American friendly’ but everyone else still has Japanese names so you eventually start seeing a shift in the names until the OG crew sticks out. One notable example is Heiji Hattori becoming Harley Hartwell but his love interest is still Kazuha even though she had a translated name in the anime while Ai wasn’t in the dubbed episodes but she got translated to Anita.

Now some I don’t mind as much with the translated name, Inspector Megure to Meguire, because it’s still pronounced the same but I just don’t like that they decided to keep this outdated convention from the 80’s and 90’s with this manga since I checked Viz’s website and the newest one they show still has these names going. If they ever get to the end of the story and decide to reissue the entire thing with correct names I’ll definitely rebuy them in the future.

Currently reading Hyperion along with planning on getting into Star Wars X-Wing Iron Fist novel.

then this summer Im going through a Dune marathon starting with Paul of Dune along with the regular main sequels of Dune along with Hunters of Dune and Sandworms of Dune plus the Butlerian Jihad Prequel Trilogy.

That and I have books 3 and 4 of Wheel of Time