What Are You Reading, Part 2

Chaos

Well, I'm almost done with The Return of the King, and starting to get the bittersweet emotions.  I'm not quite ready to leave Middle-earth, but that time is rapidly approaching.  However, everything's lining up to go straight to Unfinished Tales of Numenor and Middle-earth.  I'm really excited, I bought the new edition with Alan Lee's illustrations!

I also read Fairest by Marissa Meyer, the novella about Queen Levana.  It was interesting.  Not my favorite, but not my least favorite either.

4 hours ago, Spren of Kindness said:

Well, I'm almost done with The Return of the King, and starting to get the bittersweet emotions.  I'm not quite ready to leave Middle-earth, but that time is rapidly approaching.  However, everything's lining up to go straight to Unfinished Tales of Numenor and Middle-earth.  I'm really excited, I bought the new edition with Alan Lee's illustrations!

I still feel this way every time I get to the end.  Even after...35 years or so of reading this at least once a year.

Reread Wintersteel from Will Wight, the latest book from his Cradle series (8 so far). It’s heavily influenced by xianxia fantasy (Chinese martial arts fantasy). One of my favorite series for some good exciting action and power growth.

The Aspect Emperor series by R. Scott Bakker. It's a followup to his Prince of Nothing series. I love how complex the characters are. It's like reading a book where all of the viewpoint characters are Kelsier. His world building is also incredible. The world he creating has an incredibly deep back story. It's also brutally intelligent.

Due to odd but nice circumstances, I read two and a half books yesterday!  I finished Story Trumps Structure, by Steven James, and the whole of the third Avatar: The Last Airbender graphic novel series The Promise.  They were both pretty good.  Story Trumps Structure is a book about writing, not a fiction book, and it made a lot of sense and was pretty inspiring.

I also read The Young Elites by Marie Lu.  It was... interesting.  I'm going to read the next one for sure, though I'm not sure how exactly how I feel about some of the characters.  If anyone else has read it, what did you think?  I kind of want to discuss it.

Almost forgot: I'm starting Romeo and Juliet!  I read it a couple years ago but didn't understand half of it, and thus forgot most of it.

Edited by Spren of Kindness

2 minutes ago, StormingTexan said:

What did you think of Warbreaker? Enjoy OB!

I thought it was fantastic! I loved the ending, it was satisfying and exiting. And I love BioChromatic Investiture! Biochromatic breath is a super cool Magic System. Very technical and intresting. Just like all of Brandons Magic Systems. The Magic. The complex Magic systems is one of the things I love most about Brandons books. How it is such a contrast from taditional fantasy. Its refreshing. 

OK, back to Warbreaker, I really loved the characters. Specificly Lightsong, and his relationship with his highpriest "Scoot." 

Denth and his crew were great. But also Vasher. I Loved Vasher! And, I Obviously love Nightblood! I am exitied to see more of him in the Stormlight Archive!

46 minutes ago, McWafy said:

I thought it was fantastic! I loved the ending, it was satisfying and exiting. And I love BioChromatic Investiture! Biochromatic breath is a super cool Magic System. Very technical and intresting. Just like all of Brandons Magic Systems. The Magic. The complex Magic systems is one of the things I love most about Brandons books. How it is such a contrast from taditional fantasy. Its refreshing. 

OK, back to Warbreaker, I really loved the characters. Specificly Lightsong, and his relationship with his highpriest "Scoot." 

Denth and his crew were great. But also Vasher. I Loved Vasher! And, I Obviously love Nightblood! I am exitied to see more of him in the Stormlight Archive!

Good to hear! It’s actually one of my favorite of Brandon’s books and I feel often underrated. Plus it’s tie-ins to SA. I think you will enjoy OB even more having just read it. 

59 minutes ago, StormingTexan said:

Good to hear! It’s actually one of my favorite of Brandon’s books and I feel often underrated. Plus it’s tie-ins to SA. I think you will enjoy OB even more having just read it. 

Ya, thats why I stoped read Stormlight to read Warbreaker cuz I was told that they are connected. And I agree, Warbreaker is underated. It's amazing.

Although, I still believe that the Mistborn Saga and the Stormlight Archive are the Best by far.

I'm a bit through Act Two of Romeo and Juliet.  It's actually really fun to read - the words have a very nice cadence.

I'm also reading The Rose Society, since I have it.  Series of strange events.  I'm actually reading it really fast, which is nice.  The Rose Society spoilers beneath:

Spoiler

I'm pretty sure I'm only reading because Raffaele is a very intriguing character despite the very limited amount of page time.