What Are You Reading, Part 2

Chaos

24 minutes ago, Condensation said:

OMGoodness, yes!!!

:D It’s a great series. And makes me a proud Canadian when I find other people who enjoy them. 

25 minutes ago, Condensation said:

I went to the library today! and got a lot of the books people had said they enjoyed.

Hey, that’s a great idea. :) 

Finishing the last book up on a Three Body Problem re-read. Then i have to jump in to my holiday book swap with my daughter and read her choice All the Little Things (YA romance) and my choice The Host (which I am told has just enough romance in it to keep her interested) to hopefully convince her Fantasy/Sci-Fi is good. 

1 hour ago, StormingTexan said:

Finishing the last book up on a Three Body Problem re-read. Then i have to jump in to my holiday book swap with my daughter and read her choice All the Little Things (YA romance) and my choice The Host (which I am told has just enough romance in it to keep her interested) to hopefully convince her Fantasy/Sci-Fi is good. 

Well, at least you got to read a solid trilogy before then! 

10 minutes ago, Ooklara said:

Well, at least you got to read a solid trilogy before then! 

Haha yeah I’ve read it a few times now. Yeah it was a deal I made with my daughter we’d both pick out a book for the other to read. I’m hoping it will help convince her to read more sci-fi/fantasy. I doubt it will make me want to read more YA romance though. 

I didn't just listen to Taylor Swift when I stayed up 'til five the other night, I also finished reading An Absolutely Remarkable Thing by Hank Green! It was pretty good, I thought, though I had some minor issues with pacing and characterization (which I can chalk up to this being Mr. Green's first novel). Even so, about halfway through and despite me thinking that the themes in the book so far were... less than subtle, I realized ...ooooohhh, I see what he's doing. So it's a solid 7/10 for me; I certainly liked it enough that I want to read the sequel!

24 minutes ago, Spren of Kindness said:

Over halfway through The Fellowship of the Ring!  There are so many more Silmarillion references than I remember, just little details that click when you know what to look for.

One of these days I will actually finish that book. My goodness.

3 hours ago, Spren of Kindness said:

I finished The Fellowship of the Ring!  What a book.  To expand upon my other comment from a previous post, Sanderson's worlds feel real, and Tolkien's worlds feel like home.  Gosh, I love it.  On to The Two Towers!

Got to love Tolkien. I need to reread those.

Well, it's been a day.  (This post has been in the making for most of it.)  I decided to take a break from the Internet as a whole and just read, and it's been wonderful.

I finally finished The Kings of Clonmel!  I've been reading it off and on for a few weeks.  I also read most of and finished The Two Towers and guess who's back?  My favorite character, and first crush, Faramir of Gondor.  

There's still lots of little references that I've been picking up.  Names and such, and also one incredible line that I'll put in a spoiler box below, because I need to share this.  Silmarillion events and characters will be mentioned.

Spoiler

'Ancient tales teach us also the peril of rash words concerning such things as - heirlooms.'  - Frodo, speaking to Faramir.

Feanor and co.'s Oath, much?  Thingol and that one necklace?  

This is absolutely a mention of the Silmarils.

I think next I'll pick up either Starsight or Storm Glass by Jeff Wheeler, both given to me by @Truthwatcher at the Rim.  I'll be reading The Return of the King as well.

Edited by Spren of Kindness

On 12/25/2020 at 4:23 PM, Spren of Kindness said:

I think next I'll pick up either Starsight or Storm Glass by Jeff Wheeler, both given to me by @Truthwatcher at the Rim.  I'll be reading The Return of the King as well.

Thx for the mention, but a different friend gave you Starsight, not me XD

Edited by Truthwatcher at the Rim

Meanwhile I’m only just shy of pg 400. Idk how much more I can take. I’m not as bored as I was on bk 3 but after thousands of pages of reading the same frustration inducing issues I question if I will even go onwards with 5 in hardcover or wait the year for paperback. Hopefully my issue with these issues are finally ended in this book cause I definitely won’t read another 6K+ pgs of the same things till end of series.

I was hoping I’d finish atleast Dark Age before 2021 got here but I won’t get there.

Edited by Briar King