What Are You Reading, Part 2

Chaos

1 hour ago, Ookla the Grammatical said:

Rereading the original Mistborn trilogy... again.

It's my go-to book for when I'm having troubles.

I just finished relistening to Mistborn:A Secret and was wondering what you thought of this novella? I personally liked the information in A Secret History but thought it came across just a disjointed as Brandon feared it would and probably not be rereading it in the future. 

I’m finishing Black Moon the last of Quinn’s De Grandin stories regarding a French paranormal detective and his assistant. It’s fascinating to read these older stories written so long ago and see how the world around us has changed. I think they are a fun read.

Edited by Ammanas

Just now, Ammanas said:

I just finished relistening to Mistborn:A Secret and was wondering what you thought of this novella? I personally liked the information in A Secret History but though it came across just a disjointed as Brandon feared it would and probably not be rereading it in the future. 

I like it, but yeah. It's pretty disjointed.

Drifter, though. :P

Spoiler

Just beats Kelsier up.

Secret History is great! But it relies heavily on its association with other Mistborn books and the Cosmere at large. 

Spoiler

Also, anything taking place in the Cognitive Realm tends to feel disjointed, be it here or in Stormlight. I'm all right with that because it should feel disorienting to the reader, it's a whole different plain of existence! 

8 hours ago, Condensation said:

I started and finished White Fang by Jack London last night! It was really good,

Call of the Wild and White Fang are easily his most famous books but my personal favorite is The Sea-Wolf. It’s about a literary critic who survives his ship going under and finds himself onboard a ship captained by basically a Nietzsche spouting tyrant. The protagonist has a completely opposite philosophy on the goodness of people and the world. I like it because is shows how shallow the veneer of civilization can be and also the clashing of those opposing ideologies. I definitely recommend it if you are in the mood for more London and want to try something a little different from White Fang

Edited by Ammanas

8 hours ago, Slowswift said:

All I seem to remember about reading Jack London in school are 1) how good he was and 2) how depressed I was afterwards.

Pretty sure I had to read "To Build a Fire" on at least 3 separate occasions throughout grade school.

never did read White Fang or Call of the Wild.  I had a book with both stories in it, but my dog actually ate it, or at last chewed it up enough to make it unreadable

19 hours ago, Somebody from Sel said:

I'm reading Dune! Just finished Arcanum Unbounded. After Dune I go to the Broken Eye by Brent Weeks.

Ooh, what do you think so far?

A quarter through The Fellowship of the Ring!  I'm listening to the combined soundtracks from the Peter Jackson Movies as I go.  This amazing coincidence hapened: I finished 'The Prophecy' FOTR's first track just in time for 'Concerning Hobbits' as I finished the forward and started Chapter One, A Long-Expected Party!  

I'm remembering how much I love Middle-Earth - Sanderson may be in my top two, but Tolkien is number one, and there's a reason.  You can just tell that this is the grandfather of fantasy as we know it, and with good reason.  It feels like coming home.  It feels like a world that if I walk just far enough, I'll find it.

Guest Somebody from Scadrial
4 hours ago, Spren of Kindness said:

Ooh, what do you think so far?

I'm more than halfway done now, I was much less in (does that english?) back then. I like it, it had a worldbuilding crash in the beginning, but that was fine. I like it, I'm finding the psychology aspect a lot.

18 hours ago, Condensation said:

Ha ha! Yes, very true.

And I finally found the person you're named after! Fairly obscure reference, but a good one.

:D I sometimes feel a little pretentious using the same pseudonym given to JRR friggin' Tolkien, but I liked it and before I could change it people started using it, so it stuck.

5 hours ago, Cosmical Existence said:

Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery. For the billionth time. 

OMGoodness, yes!!!

I went to the library today! and got a lot of the books people had said they enjoyed. And, to be honest, a lot of Traci Hunter Abramson's books. What can I say? I enjoy them. :)

Just now, Slowswift said:

:D I sometimes feel a little pretentious using the same pseudonym given to JRR friggin' Tolkien, but I liked it and before I could change it people started using it, so it stuck.

I like it! It suits you.