What Are You Reading, Part 2

Chaos

7 hours ago, Briar King said:

Struggling with getting into RoW. The burn from the previous book still leaves a taste of ash in my mouth but I’m trying my best to get over it. Being invaded by house repair crew and the constant dinging of hammers ain’t helping either.

pretty sure i've already taken longer to get 15 chapters into RoW than I did to get through WoK an WoR put together.  largely just because I have other stuff going on taking up time and attention, not because of any issue with the book itself.  I expect if I ever had a long enough stretch of time to read more than a couple chapters (or heck, even a single whole chaptr without interruptions) then it would probably grab me like the others.

7 hours ago, Briar King said:

Struggling with getting into RoW. The burn from the previous book still leaves a taste of ash in my mouth but I’m trying my best to get over it. Being invaded by house repair crew and the constant dinging of hammers ain’t helping either.

That's a shame. I didn't have a problem, but I read it all at night and upstairs, which is quiet except for Fog's snoring.

I finished Dune, and I was right, I enjoyed it much more, knowing what to expect.  The very last line of the book is so impactful, and I have no idea why, but I love it!

I've decided to tackle Jurassic Park's sequel, The Lost World and am part of the way through the prologue.  I should be annoyed by something (if you've read it, you might be able to guess), but I'm not, because I like the character.

Edited by Spren of Kindness

Finally finished Oathbringer!  Binged the last three hundred or so pages today.  Really loved the book, but struggled with part 4 a little.

there’s a LOT of momentum at the end of part 3, and part 4, while having some insanely great world building in shadesmare, felt kinda abruptly slow after all that.  

I was planning on going into dawnshard, then RoW, but I think I’ll hold off.  It’s starting to feel like I finally need to catch up on the other cosmere books first.  And I need to get back to Dresden/wheel of time as well.  I’ve got a LONG reading list still.

1 minute ago, Ookla the Grammatical said:

*sigh*

I love RoW. :)

And now I'm reading my math textbook because I'm bored.

Edit: Sorry, rereading. I forgot about... those times.

which class, specifically?  also, yes, I hav read through  math textbook out of boredom (and done several of the problems too)

I finished RoW last night, so now I'm going to start reading Ready Player Two. I honestly don't have very high expectations because I haven't really heard anything good about it (and also Daniel Greene's review killed whatever hope I had left). However, I was a huge fan of Ready Player One when I first read it and I'm hoping that the sequel at least has some fun moments. I won't be severely disappointed if it's bad, but I will probably still be disappointed :(

Also, a few weeks from now is Christmas break and I'm going to use the two weeks off from school to start reading Wheel of Time. I'll probably only make it through one book, if I'm being honest, but I'm excited to actually start reading the series. I've put it off for years because I'm intimidated, but I think with quarantine I'll have more time to actually read it. 

The book I'm reading most actively at the moment is The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova. It's this historical fiction novel about Dracula and Vlad the Impaler. I'm really enjoying it, if I'm being honest here. (I'm rather fond of gothic horror.)

I'm also listening to both Les Miserables and Oathbringer (again) on audiobook, as well as reading Lord of Chaos (very slowly).

After I finish The Historian, I need to finish both my MB era one reread, as well as my Percy Jackson reread. After that (or before) I'll probably read either Dune or Theft of Swords. I need to read that one Leigh Bardugo book, too...

*cough*

Books.

Edited by Ookla the Rōnin

16 hours ago, weiss_kwispies said:

I finished RoW last night, so now I'm going to start reading Ready Player Two. I honestly don't have very high expectations because I haven't really heard anything good about it (and also Daniel Greene's review killed whatever hope I had left). However, I was a huge fan of Ready Player One when I first read it and I'm hoping that the sequel at least has some fun moments. I won't be severely disappointed if it's bad, but I will probably still be disappointed 

I finished it last week. Obviously not going to be as good as the first book but I felt like it was entertaining. I liked it a lot more than Cline's second book Armada. 

Just now, StormingTexan said:

I finished it last week. Obviously not going to be as good as the first book but I felt like it was entertaining. I liked it a lot more than Cline's second book Armada. 

It's good to know that it's still entertaining. I haven't read Armada, but I know people who have and didn't like it, so if Ready Player Two is better than that it should at least be a fun read.

About a quarter through To Sleep in a Sea of Stars.  It's... not what I was expecting.  This is a weird way to describe it, but it feels like... squishy sci-fi?  Spoiler below, don't look if you haven't read it.  Mentions of the Inheritance Cycle as well.

Spoiler

Was Ilnare Angela?  And the cat Solembum?  Ilnare seems like an Alegasian name, and Angela's known for knitting...

7 hours ago, aneonfoxtribute said:

And that was Ghost Story.

Many people feel it’s one of the least favorite of all esp back when it was new. 

My RoW progress is not good. I get into it until I get to next entry of the exhausting POV and then usually have to put it down for hours before I get the will to press on. Repeat. 

Guest Somebody from Scadrial
4 minutes ago, Ookla the Grammatical said:

The Warrior Heir, followed by The Wizard Heir and The Dragon Heir.

I love that series, don't forgot Enchanter and Sorcerer though. Not the best for rereads, but really good the first time round.