What Are You Reading, Part 2

Chaos

1 hour ago, aneonfoxtribute said:

Oh, it seems Brief Cases is actually the second short story Dresden collection. Can anyone tell me if any of the stories in Brief Cases spoil things from after Changes? 

Well anyway, I listened to the first two, and the first one (A Fistful of Warlocks) is the only one I really have a comment on. 

Hide contents

I was slightly disappointed in Kemmler. I was hoping that he would be a big focus, and he was there, but he wasn't as big a focus as I wanted him to be. He was neutralized as a threat basically immediately. He threatened Luccio once at the start, and then proceeded to be stuck in a cell for most of the story. 

Bombshells sort of does.  I think it is technically set between Changes and the next book, but it flt a bit spoilery to me when I read it.  and Day One I think has spoilers for Skin Game, I want to say.  I think the rest are OK, but its been a bit since I read them, and i'm only going off a cursory wikipedia check here.

Alright so I will be careful of those when I get to them. If there's anyone else who has input because they might recall it more, that would be appreciated. 

EDIT: Actually, maybe I'll just skip all the ones set after Changes for the time being just to be safe. Which ones are after then?

Edited by aneonfoxtribute

2 minutes ago, aneonfoxtribute said:

Alright so I will be careful of those when I get to them. If there's anyone else who has input because they might recall it more, that would be appreciated. 

EDIT: Actually, maybe I'll just skip all the ones set after Changes for the time being just to be safe. Which ones are after then?

Bombshells, Jury Duty, Cold Case, Day One, and Skin Game.  also Aftermath from the other short story collection, Side Jobs, takes place after Changes.

"To exist across all times is to be oblivious to the Eschaton, the limit of those times, and Mog-Pharau is that limit. The Eschaton."

Me: *le gasp!* I know what an Eschaton is! I get that reference! 

The point? Reading widely, including outside your preferences, makes for a more fulfilling reading experience later on. I would not get as much joy from this sentence from a R Scott Bakker book if I hadn't read some books I thought (and still think)  were garbage at the time! 

Fire on the Mountain by Terry Bisson - an alternate history about a world where John Brown's raid on Harper's Ferry had succeeded.  was recommended to me by a firend, and its pretty interesting so far - though I'm currently more invested in the "historical" 1859 accounts of the alternate civil war era than I am in the "present day" 1959 storyline.

2 minutes ago, officiallyaninja said:

how is remember11? is it worth it? it's honestly a bit of a pain just finding a way to play it. (also I haven't finished ever17 so no spoilers thanks)

Its one of the best visual novels I've ever read. Leaps and bounds ahead of E17. I didnt hate E17 but I had really big, really glaring issues with it that weren't there in R11 at all.

As for playing it, I have links to a fan translation since it's not officially released. Though it was a pain to do even then so in the end I had to ask some people on a Discord and they got me a pre-patched version

37 minutes ago, aneonfoxtribute said:

Its one of the best visual novels I've ever read. Leaps and bounds ahead of E17. I didnt hate E17 but I had really big, really glaring issues with it that weren't there in R11 at all.

As for playing it, I have links to a fan translation since it's not officially released. Though it was a pain to do even then so in the end I had to ask some people on a Discord and they got me a pre-patched version

you think you could send me some of those links?