What Are You Reading, Part 2

Chaos

OK, in an attempt to bring some life back to this thread, I'll post what I' m reading.

Right now I'm about three quarters of the way through River of Souls, buy Guy Gavriel Kay. I'm not sure what to make of this book. Some parts I love and are really just spectacular, but then sometimes the plot just seems to roll along without much interesting happening at all. This is a general feeling I get from Kay. He's written some of my most favorite books ever (Sailing to Sarantium, Under Heaven), but then he's got some I struggle to get through- Lord of Emperors, and now River of Stars. The only other GGK book 've read is The Lions of Al- Rassan, which was okay, had some strong points, but generally was pretty mediocre- except the duel at the end, which was one of the coolest and most evocative scenes I've ever read.

Edit: The last quarter of River of Stars is superb- Guy Gavriel Kay at his best. If only Kay could consistently write at this level...

Anyway, when I'm done with this, I'll go back to plowing through Terry Pratchett's Discworld, which I love. Next up is The Fifth Elephant, which I have great hopes for.

Edited by Trizee

Just read a few books: The Solitude of Prime Numbers was recommended by someone on tumblr, It's a very heavy read....I don't really get it. XD the latest Expanse book was alright, tho there were some flaws I think. The Far Time Incident is a great fun tome travel murder mystery kinda thing. Really solid holiday reading, I enjoyed it thoroughly. Now on the first discworld for the first time. Don't really know if I'm liking it yet.

Just read a few books: The Solitude of Prime Numbers was recommended by someone on tumblr, It's a very heavy read....I don't really get it. XD the latest Expanse book was alright, tho there were some flaws I think. The Far Time Incident is a great fun tome travel murder mystery kinda thing. Really solid holiday reading, I enjoyed it thoroughly. Now on the first discworld for the first time. Don't really know if I'm liking it yet.

If by the first discworld you mean The Color of Magic, just know that its not nearly as good as the rest of the discworld books, nor are the other first few books. Actually, I think most people recommend not starting at the beginning- because of this reason. Which is why I started with Guards! Guards! which I think s a good starting point, as it's an example of Pratchett's awesomeness but also an easy entry point. 

I read them in order, and enjoyed them a lot. The fact that the first ones aren't as good only means they get better! There's a definite tonal shift though; the early books are basically a parody of traditional Fantasy tropes, whilst the later books are a parody of modern society, with the newest ones forcing you to look at and consider serious social issues through the medium of humour - there's a reason this guy was knighted ;)

The Guards books are easily some of the best; although there are some great standalones, and the Moist von Lipwig books are great too. Plus, Reaper Man might still be one of the funniest books I have EVER read.

There are a few duff ones though; I was never a fan of the Rincewind books post-Sourcery, and Soul Music seemed to be missing... something, I couldn't tell you what exactly. But the world is a true joy to read, and I'd recommend them to anyone (and frequently do :P )

Going postal and making money were my favourites. I read this book recently called Bloodsong by Anthony Ryan it was really good epic fantasy a bit traditional but very well written, from what have read in this thread you guys might enjoy it.

OK, since last time I've read 4 of Pratchett's Discworld books: The Fifth Elephant, Night Watch, Thud! and Monstrous Regiment. Of the four I'd say The Fifth Elephant was my favorite, though all were fantastic. I also just bought Unfettered, and read Brandon's River of Souls, which was awesome, and Patrick Rothfuss's story which was... interesting. I've also read a bunch of Lovecraft's short stories, which I though were interesting, but nothing really amazing.

Next up is I, Asimov: A Memoir- Isaac Asimov's Autobiography, and then James Dashner's The Kill Order, which is the prequel to the Maze Runner trilogy.

Tyrants Law by Daniel Abraham: 3rd book in his dagger and coin. I really like this series. Its original and its loaded with regular people. After reading abraham, I find I get bored with 'hero' type super dude charcters that kick butt in other series. His books are loaded with people you can identify with who make realistic and believable decisions. The plots are unexpected and make sense.

Left Hand of God (audio): Really liked this book. Creative. Dark, original. Has a twist on religion. Highly recommended.

Reamde (audio) by Neal Stephenson: do not recommend. Boring. Starts off fascinating when he talks about computer games, but then it breaks down into a generic chase the bad guy through the world book. I like Stephensons books, but did not like this. The bulk of the reviews on amazon seem to agree with me

First Assassin Trilogy by Robin Hobbs: Liked this. Liked the bitter sweat ending. Liked the first person. Got frustrated with the 'inability to be honest and talk' stuff which added to tension. It was kind of annoying. I don't like building tensoin that way. I understand how it fit the character, but it was more annoying than good. Ill probably read the next assassin trilogy to see where the characters went. I like the complexity and the bitter sweat ending.

Memory of Light by Brand and RJ: I discovered Brandon when took over the series. Started reading the series in 1990 when I was 16. So same experience with it as brandon (but I never imagined becoming a writer). I thought the ending should have been darker and more people hurt. However, that isn't in RJs personality. In a series this long all fans will have their own way they would want certain pieces to go. That being said, we never would have thought about those pieces of RJ didn't come up with idea and story in the first place.

I think Brandon did about as good a job as we could hope on the series and was the correct choice since he is clearly a big fan and his work ethic (19 drafts?) is amazing. That being said, his writing style and voice is radically different than RJ that it took away from the story for me. For me, (and alot of people) Wheel of Time isn't just about the plot, its about RJs voice. I think I would feel the same way if I get to book 9 of Stormlight Archive and some other author finishes it. It will feel off. I don't think any other author could have done a better job in large part because Brandon is such a big fan and I think his being a fan and wanting to end like RJ wanted (and not twist it to his type of story) was critical. Plus his incredible work ethic in writing and refining and taking criticism. It must have been hard when Harriet and co kept sending back all those re-writes.

About Harriet Rigney: I dont think she has ever won an award for best editor. I think the Wheel of Time/Sanderson fan base should push for her to get a nomination for the Hugo and campaign (though we cant vote) for the Nebula. I understand that people on this site will push for Brandon for A Memory of Light (and I tihnk Brandon/RJ deserve it for the whole series), but its really Harriet that we should push for a nomination. She had all the money she needed, she lost her husband, I think she is what 70 years old now?, and she worked hard to finish the series. She discovered jordan, edited Enders Game(and card credits her in the book), helped edit Way of Kings(and brandon credits here there), and I believe edited several other best sellers.

I dont believe she has ever been nominated for an award. Its long over do. I wish there was a way to nominate the rest of team Jordan for some kind of award as well.

Slate of books to read

Abaddons Gate (about 4/5s through) by James SA Corey

Last Four Things (sequel to left hand of god)

Lord Valentines Castle (been meaning to read marjipoor for a while)

Iain M Banks Culture book. coming to him late.

Dragon Egg by Robert L Forward (orson scott card raved about this book in his book on how to write sci-fi)

Ken Scholes latest book (was shocked when I saw this on the bookstore shelf. got no publicity. didnt know it was coming out. first 3 were fun).

Just started a re-read of Gardens of the Moon after getting to book 8 or so and setting the series down (metaphorically, I'm reading on an iPod), but it really does get interesting and gives you a character to connect with after a few books. Also, one of my biggest issues reading it the first time was figuring out the magic system. My advice is to read a wiki on this, because it explains 90% of the confusion I experienced on the first read through. Also, its not a spoiler, I feel its something that should have been explained in the first book more clearly than it was. 

I read I, Asimov: A Memoir, which I found interesting, although I disagree with Asimov on many points, it was well written, entertaining, and gave a fascinating insight on early SF.

Then I read The Adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary E. Pearson which I was really liking until the end, which was a bit of a flop.

Next was Neil Gaiman's Coraline, which was pretty awesome: I'll definitely be reading more Gaiman in the future.

After that I read Asimov's The Gods Themselves (his autobiography made me want to red some of his fiction), which was terrific; it included an amazing depiction of an alien society and some cool scientific ideas 9not that I understood all the physics involved, but...)

I also recently gave up on two books partway through:

The Kill Order by James Dashner- not nearly as good as the Maze Runner trilogy

Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert A. Heinlein- I've heard some great things about this book, and the cover proclaimed it "the most famous science fiction novel ever written"- but I found it rather dull and it didn't spark my interest at all.

Next up is Terry Pratchett's Going Postal, which is bound to be amazing!

• 2 weeks later...

I have read quite a bit over the past 2 weeks, which as been nice as I haven't been able to read anything other than the texts I taught this year!

The first book I completed was Brandon Sanderson's third book in the Mistborn series! I started reading this back in September 2012, before I started to teach. I have to say, the final 200 pages were fabulous, but my favourite book in the series remains the first.

After this, I read through 'Hard Frost' by R.D. Wingfield. I have now read all of the books in this series and am looking for another crime series to explore. If anyone has any suggestions, please send a PM! :)

Last week, I read 'To Kill A Mockingbird,' which was recommended to me several times this year. I think one teacher told me that the book always made him cry... I'm not sure it's a tear-jerker, but it's certainly a very good book and I really enjoyed the writing style.

Last night, I started 'The Princess Bride' and am 90 or so pages in. I have started to read more quickly!

'Life of Pi,' 'The Great Gatsby' and 'Hitchhiker's Guide' are on the list for the next 2-3 weeks!

I just finished Pratchett and Baxter's The Long Earth. It was a good setting, and nicely written, but rather lacking in plot and tension. The characters drifted through an intriguing setting, as though they knew they were just setting up a sequel. I didn't feel that itch to read every chance I had, but it was worth a look for the world(s) building.

Salmakia: I agree about To Kill A Mockingbird. It was a pleasant read, but not much more than that, I'm not sure why people make such a fuss about it...  The Princess Bride, Life of Pi, and Hitchhiker's are all great reads, I hope you enjoy!

As for myself, I'm currently reading Memories of Ice, the third in Steven Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen series. I had some problems with the first two, but I was told the third is when things really pick up, so I'm determined to finish this one and then decide if I want to read the rest of the series.

Reading Memories of Ice by Steven Erikson. I am about 120-ish pages into the third, and this Pannion Dominion sounds hardcore. I would say books 2 and 3 are a better gauge of how you'll enjoy the rest of the Malazan series; Gardens of the Moon was written 10 years before Deadhouse Gates. The Book of the Fallen seems to be a synthesis of the best aspects of epic fantasy and sword and sorcery. Erikson's style is what I find most appealing-throwing out multiple plot hooks in Book 1, and leaving the reader a bit discombobulated.

Right now I'm trying to finish Douglas Hoftadter's "Gödel, Escher, Bach", which I started reading around January but has been sitting almost forgotten until recently.

Also, I'm following two on-going Harry Potter fanfics: Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality by Eliezer Yodowsky of Less Wrong, and Harry Potter and the Natural 20.

But mostly I just read blogs, Wikipedia articles, and API documentations. Yeah, I gotta get myself a new real novel to read soon. :(

I finished Memories of Ice and was not very impressed. I'll admit that there were some cool parts, but when every other person seems to have enough power to destroy a planet, I don't get all that excited when someone shoots a fireball. What I'm trying to say is that if everyone's awesome, no one's awesome. Aside from that, there were exactly zero characters that I felt like I could even feel anything for (a problem I didn't have with the first two books), and everyone seems to have constant internal monologues discussing vague philosophical points. Including the drunk caravan guard. In short, I don't think I'll be reading any more Erikson unless I'm desperate for something to read.

On a brighter note, I'm currently reading Terry Pratchett's The Wee Free Men and it is delightful!

• 2 weeks later...

I've finished all four of Terry Pratchett's Tiffany Aching books and loved them all; I think A Hat full of Sky was probably my favorite.

I also read his book Hogfather, and while it was pretty good, I don't think it was up to Pratchett's standards- the plot didn't make much sense to me.

Now I'm reading Empire in Black and Gold by Adrian Tchaikovsky, the first in his Shadows of the Apt series. There are parts of it I think are great- the original setting, great action, and subtle wisdom. I especially like how some of the characters claim not to believe in magic while they perform acts that we would perceive as magical on a daily basis- they just don't see that as magic.

However, at times this book reads like a bad Terry Brooks novel, and I find myself rather frustrated; but none of it is terrible enough for me to put the book down.

My only other issue is that Tchaikovsky's prose isn't too great, but I understand that this improves later in the series...

Aethling: If you're referring to Eddings's Hidden City, what did you think of it? Personally I felt it was a big let down- I never felt like the characters were actually in danger.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been re-reading Orson Scott Card's Ender series in anticipation for the Ender's Game movie later this year. So far, I finished Ender's Game, Ender's Shadow, Shadows in Flight, and First Meetings. I also took the time to read the new prequels Earth Unaware and Earth Afire. Tonight I'm starting with Shadow of the Giant, then after that perhaps I'll end the re-read with Ender in Exile.

There were several books in the Ender series that I just didn't like, so I'm skipping those. I remember not even bothering to read the rest of the "Piggies" story line after the snore fest that was Speaker for the Dead. Also, does anyone else agree with me that Achilles de Fladres is an awful one-dimensional character and is one of the worst villains of all time? I just hate the guy. He ruined Shadow of the Hegemon and Shadow Puppets for me, and I really, really hope he won't be making an appearance in the movie.

Edited by skaa

Gardens of the Moon, book one of the Malazan Book of the Fallen. About 1/3 of the way in. Takes a heck of a lot of concentration, I'll read four pages and be like "Wait what the hell just happened?" but it's fun. I needed something else to really dig my teeth in to, and this seems to be about the most epic thing ever written, from what others have said.

Edit: Just looked at the last 20 posts or so, and I'm surprised so many people are reading Malazan too. I had the impression that it was still pretty obscure. Maybe that's just because it hasn't spread beyond the sf/f community, like WoT, Brandon, ASoIaF, etc have.

Edited by GreyPilgrim

Malaz is, and no exceptions there, the most complex world I have read about. I recently finished Midnight Tides, and I can say that only a genius is able to create such a big world. Maybe the second book is quite confusing but, trust me, the third one worths the whole saga. And the fourth too.

That said I'm not encouraged enough as to read Reaper's Gale in english (I'm not native) so I have to wait until the translation comes out. My question is, for those who finished the saga: Is the second middle of the saga as good as the first one?