What Are You Reading, Part 2

Chaos

Quick check-in to add something: This book (Symphony for the City of the Dead) is good, but it is by no means lighthearted. The book follows Shostakovich during the early USSR, which is just as brutal as you might expect. There's nothing too graphic as yet, but neither will you be singing about sunshine and flowers. I'm glad that the author does wax witty at points, because yikes.

Edited by Slowswift
Added title for context

On 10/6/2020 at 11:06 AM, Jaywalk said:

I recently finished the Nyxia Triad by Scott Reintgen. I picked up the first book from the library on a whim while browsing the shelves, and by the end of it I was hooked. These characters are my children.

Fun fact: the author of that series attended the same middle school I did. He came and did a signing for at least the first two.

Just finished The Gathering Storm on my WoT reread, and got a couple chapters into Towers of Midnight, but then I saw that my Library hold on Battle Ground had come in, so now Towers of Midnight is on hold so I can blitz through Battle Ground (helps that its a dreary day today and tomorrow is a holiday, so I should be able to speed through it).  just as Glad I hadnt gotten any further in, but now I'm wishing I'd checked my email earlier so I wouldnt have started Towers of midnight in the first place.  I don't much like reading mutliple series at once, let alone multiple books.

I took my time reading Evil Thing: A Story id That Devil Woman. I can read these books in one sitting but Cruella isn’t something I wanted to read in one sitting. Her reason for becoming evil is interesting in this interpretation. All the previous villains were evil because of their parents and it’s half true here since she just wanted her mother’s love but her mother wasn’t interested in any relationship with her, she just wanted the money the father left to Cruella, and after Cruella’s husband died the mother was concerned about Cruella’s sanity, mostly because of the social appearance, and when Cruella told her about the coat her mother was actually horrified.

What also made this book interesting is it’s written as a memoir, so we get Cruella’s thoughts, but the afterword also shows that the author herself went to Hell Hall and the way that’s written it makes me wonder if the story is supposed to be contemporary or if Cruella has been locked up in there since the 70’s, when the film came out.

Now onto something new and I wanted something with no strings attached ie a stand-alone, so I’m going to read Warriors of the Altaii.

I’ve only read the first Dresden book and I’ve already bought the next two volumes and the first short story collection. Planning on reading the short stories when they take place between the books. Can’t wait to catch up with it but it’ll probably have to wait until I finish with ROW and Dawnshard since I’m currently reading a Robert Jordan that you can tell was written in the 80’s and reads like it.