What Are You Reading, Part 2

Chaos

I read that one super fast even for my past faster reading paced self. Like 2 days. I generally did em in 3-6 days back then.

My goodness I want my WH40K starter book in already.. but they coming to Houston and I’m about to head back home to Lake Charles tomorrow. Ugh. One says it’s coming in tomorrow the other(and it’s book 1 to) says Saturday. Double ugh.

The Trouble with Peace by Joe Abercrombie. About a third of the way in and already I feel comfortable saying it’s a return to form from the author after a disappointing start to the trilogy (in my opinion). What a month! Battle Ground by Butcher comes out Tuesday and that will be my next book.

Just finished reading Gideon the Ninth, and I really enjoyed it. The cover quote says it all: "Lesbian necromancers explore a haunted gothic palace in space!" The book is super original and has some awesome characters, especially the novel's namesake, Gideon. I started reading the sequel, Harrow the Ninth , but I've stalled because it's written in the second person, which makes it a lot harder to get into for me.

On 9/26/2020 at 9:11 PM, Ammanas said:

The Trouble with Peace by Joe Abercrombie. About a third of the way in and already I feel comfortable saying it’s a return to form from the author after a disappointing start to the trilogy (in my opinion). What a month! Battle Ground by Butcher comes out Tuesday and that will be my next book.

Just finished The Trouble with Peace, and IMO was characteristically strong. Out of curiosity, what did you find disappointing about A Little Hatred? I really liked it personally, and it's been long enough that I can't remember any major flaws that stuck out to me.

Edited by ILuvHats

5 hours ago, ILuvHats said:

. Out of curiosity, what did you find disappointing about A Little Hatred?

More of personal preference thing for me. There were limited locations and scope. The male characters seemed completely clueless and helpless and Abercrombie seemed to save all the smart, strong characters for the females. It just seemed a little one sided because I’m all for smart strong female characters. I thought there were more gratuitous sex scenes and violence and while no Abercrombie books could be considered “clean” reading it felt a little gratuitous. Also I felt not a lot happened: A skirmish in the North, a failed rebellion and a lot of set up.

I should finish tomorrow and feel like the authors fixes all my issues. Orso is much more likable and Styria is part of the story again. Lots of moving pieces, and I’m onto all of them. Stuff is happening, rather than just setting up pieces. Right now I’m reading a epic battle scene. 

49 minutes ago, Ammanas said:

More of personal preference thing for me. There were limited locations and scope. The male characters seemed completely clueless and helpless and Abercrombie seemed to save all the smart, strong characters for the females. It just seemed a little one sided because I’m all for smart strong female characters. I thought there were more gratuitous sex scenes and violence and while no Abercrombie books could be considered “clean” reading it felt a little gratuitous. Also I felt not a lot happened: A skirmish in the North, a failed rebellion and a lot of set up.

Yeah, I can see how the lack of scope and the continuous setup could be disappointing. 

Spoiler

Orso's my favorite character in the new trilogy, and even though he wasn't a traditionally strong character in book 1, he had the seeds to be one, which were enough for me. So I never had a problem with a lack of strong male characters, even with Leo being a bit... let's call it annoying. And then in book 2, Orso really starts to be independent and actively shape the world, so my faith was rewarded. Plus Leo... well you'll see when you finish The Trouble with Peace.

10 hours ago, Truthless of Shinovar said:

Just started Dune so I can judge the movie when it comes out!

I've only ever seen some of the old Dune series (watched it in class, of all places!), but it's been long enough that I'd like to actually read it myself. And B&N has this really pretty special edition too...