What Are You Reading, Part 2

Chaos

5 hours ago, aneonfoxtribute said:

I don't really recall a time so far where they called someone a Darkfriend without reason. Granted those reasons tend to be bad, like "they did something to insult the Whitecloaks" or just saying someone is guilty by association if they know someone they've accused, but it's still a reason. Ironically, the assumptions that make me the most mad are the ones about the Aes Sedai, the assumptions that everyone agrees with. The Aes Sedai assumptions and accusations really do bug me because I don't feel that a lot of them have much basis other than Aes Sedai using Power, which is some pretty bad basis. They don't make me inherently angry yet unlike the Seanchan. Every time the Seanchan are brought up I get angry, which I don't really get with the Whitecloaks. 

the one that digs at me the most is when they assume any woman using the power = Aes Sedai.  so to the whitecloaks, Damane = Aes Sedai, which is so astonishingly wrong and, quite frankly, dumb.  I also think you're giving them too much credit.  thinking Perrin is a darkfriend because he killed 2 of them is one thing, but there is every chance that they'd have indicted him in their own minds on no evidence except his eyes or the fact that he spent time in the company of an Aes Sedai.  Yes its technically a reason, but its a reason so bad that its almost worse than if it were just random.  People attackign and killing at random generally know that behavior is frowned upon, people who can rationalize it away as being for a higher cause even on such flimsy pretenses as the whitecloaks usually give they think they are better, not just better than the average bandit or whatever, btu better than the average person.  their bullies with a sense of entitlement, and that makes them worse than just normal bullies.

the other thing about the Seanchan is that you've mostly seen them through the lens of how they treated Egwene, and by extension other women who can channel - which is horrific.  that was like 90% of the focus on them in The Great Hunt.  but if you go back and look at how they handled everyone else - it just isn't that bad, except for the nobility anyway, who require unreasonable amounts of deference.  but like if you were just living your life on Toman Head in some village then the Seanchan invasion was basically no worse than any other invasion, better than some, since their soldiers are more disciplined than many.  This is the last I'll say on this, since we are takign up a bunch of space in this thread with it but basically Seanchan are the worst, and are very very bad in the specific cases where you are a woman who can channel or where you have to intereact with, or even just be near, their nobility (the blood and the high blood), but outside of those cases, the average whitecloak is worse than the average Seanchan.

In the case of Damane=Aes Sedai, that's an understandable assumption. Anybody who didn't know about the Seanchan and their structure in regards to the Power would assume the same and they have had no opportunity to have the idea corrected. Everything that they think happened at Falme is based on a misunderstanding, but its logical assumptions because there was only one person who was able to actually talk about it and without context it looks very bad. If we never had any POV from anyone at Falme and just went off of what Byar saw, not knowing any characters or anything, then we would likely have the same assumption as the Whitecloaks. And the next interaction the girls had with the Whitecloaks did nothing to dissuade that assumption. All it did was make it stronger, again for good reason.

Its not just the eyes or traveling with Aes Sedai (though that is part of the reason, and for them the latter would be enough). Its that they know that he killed some Whitecloaks and that he was working with wolves, which they, and a number of other people, believe are creatures of the Dark One. Iirc Perrin thought they were too for.a while.

I dunno maybe I am giving them too much credit, but a part of it is just that I haven't seen them do anything that makes me think they're the worst yet. Unlike the Seanchan where we actually see them doing things that lead to why I hate them. Most of the worst stuff the Whitecloaks have done so far has been offscreen and just told to us rather than shown.

This conversation is making me wonder if I could make a reaction thread in the WoT category where I just talk freely as I read along 

12 hours ago, aneonfoxtribute said:

This conversation is making me wonder if I could make a reaction thread in the WoT category where I just talk freely as I read along 

Not a bad idea. Definitely better than hijacking threads and it would bring some needed activity to the WoT subforum. I might do the same as soon as I get on with Fires of Heaven. 

I'm nearing the end of Wrath, the 4th book in the Faithful and the Fallen series by John Gwynne.

This series is absolutely incredible!!!!!!!!!!!  Most I've been gripped by anything since reading Mistborn and the 3 Stormlight books 2 years ago.

For Sanderson fans looking for other things to match the sheer emotional investment in the story and characters they feel when reading Cosmere books, with the same tremendous pacing, the Faithful and the Fallen will deliver.

This forum gave me a great gift with the Dresden Files popping up time and time again and encouraging me to pick them up, but also a huge misfire with Lightbringer as a common rec I saw for something similar to Sanderson (honestly the reading experience is nothing like reading Sanderson on that one, so I fear the hard magic system was too obvious a link).

But let me shout it to the rafters to fellow Sanderson lovers that Gwynne can scratch that same itch (with a lot more gore to go with the violence, so if you're ok with that aspect and love the Cosmere then it's a no-brainer).

I finished Uprooted by Naomi Novik yesterday. Interesting story that was surprising how it went. I liked that it was a story where you kill the antagonist with kindness since those are more satisfying to me than killing them with fire, in a duel, exploding them or anything involving violent ends.

Doing an easy read next with the newest Disney Villains book Evil Thing: A Tale of That De Vil Woman.

I heard about the Goodkind news. I read the first 15 or so that ended the the story until he decided he needed more money. I thought they were amazing when I was 14. I recently tried reading the first one and couldn’t get past the fourth chapter. I thought it was bad...My tastes have changed/evolved. Hope his family is doing well regardless. Currently reading Saints Blood by De Castell. Probably the very definition of a 3 out of 5 star book. This series is ok for me and I’m mildly curious to see what happens. Last I checked the kindle books are all about $2.99 each so I snatched them up.

I've been warned against Goodkind, and some of the quotes I've seen from him (though none I recall, this was a while ago) made me think that was a solid choice.  more recently i've been considering checking the library for him to give him a fair shot, rather than just basing that decision on hearsay, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

I think any fantasy fan should attempt Wizards 1st Rule and make the choice to drop or go on from there. I dropped. Goodkind is a running joke on Malazan boards. Not to many well read people finish him. Probably much better fantasy beginner books then genre familiars.

You likely won’t miss anything if you skip him but if you like WFR then kudos continue onwards. He does have fans out there for sure.

12 hours ago, Briar King said:

I think any fantasy fan should attempt Wizards 1st Rule and make the choice to drop or go on from there. I dropped. Goodkind is a running joke on Malazan boards. Not to many well read people finish him. Probably much better fantasy beginner books then genre familiars.

You likely won’t miss anything if you skip him but if you like WFR then kudos continue onwards. He does have fans out there for sure.

The ending to WFR pissed me off sooo much! 

Don’t plan on trying Goodkind anytime soon

Anyway, I recently read 

Assassin’s Apprentice by Robin Hobb (4.25/5, very good)

Foundryside by Robert Jackson Bennett (4.5/5 highly recommended for Sanderfans)

Kings of the Wyld by Nicholas Eames (4.3/5, good solid fun, def reread worthy)

The City of Brass (3.5/5, good, but upon retrospection the characters can get kind of annoying)

Red Sister (3/5. I feel so bad rating this so low, because so much of it was so good, but the ending was just not it for me. It’s not too long, so maybe I’ll reread it before I send it back to the library to really get a feel for it. I was pretty distracted while reading it, to be sure. I’ve since gotten a bit better at staying focused.)

Currently reading

Senlin Ascends by Josiah Bancroft. This book is really enjoyable in a really unique way. It’s such an original concept with such well realized characters that I don’t know how I’m not going to love it when I’m done.