Chaos

What Are You Reading, Part 2

4,735 posts in this topic

Went and finished the rest of Red Seas Under Red Skies. Good book. Not as good as the original, perhaps, but still good. Very curious to know where it's going to go from there, and I will likely be starting Republic of Thieves tomorrow

Posted (edited)

Age of Myth by Michael J. Sullivan.  I honestly think it is excellent despite a lackluster opening.  Well written, interesting and with a plot structure a bit like Brandon's and a bit like GRRM.  The plot itself is a bit cliche.

Edited by Ookla the Prolific

Lincoln in the Bardo by George Saunders. An excellent experimental novel that recalls to my mind Goethe's Faust Part II and the work of Svetlana Alexievich.

was abotu time for a silmarillion reread, so workign on that.  just getting ot the beren and luthien parts, aka the best parts.  been hearing a lot abotu the licanius trilogy recently, so thats in the bullpen once silmarillion is done.

Has anyone read The Rage of Dragons by Evan Winters? I'm looking for a new-ish fantasy for when I finish His Dark Materials and before I continue with Wheel of Time for a few books then dropping off to get hyped for Stormlight 4!

Up to about page 150 in Well of Ascension.  Feels GREAT to be back with these characters.  

Moving on to The Journey of Ibn Fattouma by Naguib Mahfouz. 

On 1/5/2020 at 9:14 PM, Ookla the Prolific said:

Age of Myth by Michael J. Sullivan.  I honestly think it is excellent despite a lackluster opening.  Well written, interesting and with a plot structure a bit like Brandon's and a bit like GRRM.  The plot itself is a bit cliche.

I'm on book 4, and this series has grown on me with each book.  I wasn't quite sold at first because it's slower paced than the Ryria Revelations.  But I'm really enjoying all of the character growth, and how minor characters from early on step into bigger roles.

Posted (edited)

The Prince of Nothing series by R. Scott Bakker. Put on your big kid pants for this one, it’s easily the darkest series I’ve ever read. Horrifying violence (rape, murder, execution etc), makes it almost painful to read, but the compelling plot and interesting characters keep me going.

Edited by SwordNimiForPresident

Cracked open Lightbringer 5. Not sure why I punish myself reading 3 books at a time but I’ve done it again ugh. Anyway on pg 50.

WIse Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss. It's great, but book 3 is gonna be a long time. Or never, who knows.

I've been on quite a reading bender lately; mostly catching up on Mistborn after reading all of the current Stormlight books. Other stuff I've read recently includes

• I Am Not a Serial Killer by Dan Wells. I finished this one in a single night; its fascinating concept/main character really stuck with me, and I found the whole thing rather brilliant (and I had a disturbingly hard time not finding the sociopathic protagonist likable in spite of him fantasizing about torturing/killing his friends and family multiple times throughout the novel, a credit to the writer's talent)
  • Four Ways to Forgiveness by Ursula K. Le Guin. Honestly, this one left me with a lot more of an emotional impact than the more-acclaimed The Left Hand of Darkness. It's four short stories about love, hardship, life, and, well, forgiveness taking place on two alien worlds before, during, and in the aftermath of a devastating war between the two. It's got a lot to like!

I'm currently reading The Far Pavilions by M.M. Kaye, as an effort to learn more about an era of history I know relatively little about (the British Raj). Next up on my docket are Edgedancer (okay, I didn't read all the Stormlight books), The Bands of Mourning (still recovering from that stinging ending of Shadows of Self), and then moving onto The Name of the Wind and then either Stormlight 4 (if it's out) or re-reading The Wheel of Time, which I started in middle school but never finished.

Been burning through Well of Ascension today.  Up to page 370.  Will probably read for several more hours tonight.  It's soooo good!

Ive been reading  Star Wars Phasma novel all day today. Not bad for an origin story for Phasma but the whole book's story reminds me of the movie The Usual Suspects

On 6.1.2020 at 4:14 AM, Ookla the Prolific said:

Finished Age of Myth yesterday (started January 1st). A long time I wasn't sure if I really should start it, because of the opening sequence. At least three times I didn't make it to the end of chapter one...

But now I liked it that much, that I'm starting Age of Swords right away.

5 hours ago, Scyora said:

But now I liked it that much, that I'm starting Age of Swords right away.

Cool.

Finished part 4 of Well of Ascension.  Will polish off the rest of the book when I wake up.  Some fantastic twists in there.  LOVED it.  

Finished The Well of Ascension.  Well.  Hot damnation.  That was fantastic!  I liked it more than Final Empire, and I loved Final Empire.  Going to start up Hero of Ages later tonight.  After a period of mourning and recuperation, obviously. :P 

Yesterday I picked up The Starless Sea by Erin Morgenstern. Her other novel, The Night Circus, is one of my all time favorites, so I can’t wait to start reading!

Gonna give a hearty recommendation for Spellslinger by Sebastien de Castell.    It's book 1 out of a 6+ series, so yay.

The first half moves pretty slowly, but then you meet the giant incredibly bloodthirsty flying squirrel who is a "business partner", not a familiar.  It's good stuff.

Rereading Well of Ascension and Hero of Ages.

just finished up licanius 2, gonna have to see which branch of the local library has the third.

So I've ended up putting everything else on hold in favor of just focusing on Republic of Thieves, since it's a library book. I'm probably gonna try slowing down the amount of books I'm trying to read at once (Hence why I haven't started Game of Thrones, Murder of Roger Ackroyd, and And Then There Were None despite getting them all for Christmas). I'll probably read the ones I've already started at my own pace all at the same time after Republic simply because they're not rentals so I can afford to. But after that, I'm probably only going to stick to 1-3 series at once 

Been reading Star Wars Resistance Reborn all day today. Pretty good book taking place  between Last Jedi and Rise of Skywalker

Im now reading Mistborn. 

Besides that Im also reading Stephen King's The Institute