What Are You Reading, Part 2

Chaos

18 hours ago, Ookla the Dreamer said:

I've got it home, but decided to finish gods of blood and powder first. I liked the first two, although something was missing. All in all I never really warmed up to them completely . Still look forward to the ending though, especially if it's satisfying.

I hope you like it! Mad Ben Styke is one of my fave characters in any book, so I'm looking forward to seeing where his arc goes. I love Celine too, and our powder mages of course. One unexpected thing in the last book, for me, was that I ended up admiring Field Marshall Tamas (from the 1st trilogy) even more than before. I like how McClellan - similar to Brandon - writes heroes who are all ages, even older people, and how the generations work together to defeat the big bad.

5 minutes ago, Lump-wing said:

I hope you like it! Mad Ben Styke is one of my fave characters in any book, so I'm looking forward to seeing where his arc goes. I love Celine too, and our powder mages of course. One unexpected thing in the last book, for me, was that I ended up admiring Field Marshall Tamas (from the 1st trilogy) even more than before. I like how McClellan - similar to Brandon - writes heroes who are all ages, even older people, and how the generations work together to defeat the big bad.

I love it so far. As good as number one in the series. Makes me wonder again how it slipped past me until my preordered book three arrived home.

So far, looking at all his books Tamas is my favorite character. Ben, Vlora, Celine, Ka'Poel are all nice, but Tamas was the best. I loved his intelligence, how he sticked to his believes. I also enjoy Michel a lot, although I needed a little time to warm up to up. So now I'm really curious why you mention Tamas...

Anyway, I'm halfway through book 2 and aim to finish it the nextdays, so that I can read the 3rd one between the years.

Edited by Ookla the Dreamer

Just finished Starsight. I want to like this series. I like Sci-Fi and while I thought the first book was decent I just couldn't get in to the second book at all. Besides Calamity it is the only one of Brandon's books I can say I did not like. That being said I will read the next ones in hopes my mind will be changed.

I am thinking I am in the mood for a Three Body Problem re-read. I'm not sure what it is about those books but I keep going back to them. 

21 hours ago, Wax said:

All 3 books came highly recommended to me, I was disappointed with all of them.  So, good luck!

I've heard a lot of good things about the three myself. I shall see if they live up to it, though I am going in with basically no expectations because I have no idea what it's even really about.

On 18.12.2019 at 5:39 PM, Lump-wing said:

Oh I am SO GLAD I didn't write more & spoil it for you!! You will recognize it when you read it, for sure.:)

I did! I loved it. Subtle, but you really got a lot more insight into his character, and why he acted how he acted. Brilliant to add these little pieces of information here and there.

In general, I really liked the conclusion, although I was a bit unhappy about the whole final scenes involving the god stones. It was one of the few things that disturbed me a little in the prevrious trilogy, I think I am more a fan of worlds that function without high power artifacts. It wasn't that he dealt with in a bad way, but it's something, I personally don't really like.

Contrasting my plan I started Tale of Magic, so I think I'll finish that one first before moving on to Licanius 3. It's not too thick, so it shouldn't take me too long anyway.

To whoever is reading Dresden. Keep going that series goes full throttle from about halfway through Bk 3 and hasn’t stopped yet. The delay of Peace Talks has been very frustrating. 

me

Expanse 6 just isn’t drawing me in. I don’t remember who is who or what is what which is very rare for me even on multi year pauses. So very frustrating 90 pgs so far.

Malazan is beating me down. Want to be done. Sooooooooo much more before I am.

Frustrated that my sorry excuse of a bookstore BAM doesn’t carry Licanus 3 for some strange reason. Just don’t understand this. I’d really like to get it so I can start bk1...

9 hours ago, Briar King said:

To whoever is reading Dresden. Keep going that series goes full throttle from about halfway through Bk 3 and hasn’t stopped yet. The delay of Peace Talks has been very frustrating. 

me

Expanse 6 just isn’t drawing me in. I don’t remember who is who or what is what which is very rare for me even on multi year pauses. So very frustrating 90 pgs so far.

Malazan is beating me down. Want to be done. Sooooooooo much more before I am.

Frustrated that my sorry excuse of a bookstore BAM doesn’t carry Licanus 3 for some strange reason. Just don’t understand this. I’d really like to get it so I can start bk1...

finished up the main series of Dresden (so far) and working my way though the short story anthologies now.

Which book are you on in Malazan?  because it starts to wear on me around book 6, and really drags around books 8-10 i find.

22 hours ago, Briar King said:

The delay of Peace Talks has been very frustrating. 

We finally got a firm release date next year. I think it’s June 20th. I think they could of released it earlier but they wanted the 20th anniversary of Storm Front to coincide. From what I understand is life is now in order and he can churn out books more frequently now. 

To everyone else. A great series...It really caught my attention in book 4. I thought books 1 and three were ok; book two I thought was pretty subpar.