What Are You Reading, Part 2

Chaos

On 11/12/2019 at 7:27 PM, Ammanas said:

Also rereading some Ray Bradbury short stories. Most people know him only for Fahrenheit 451 but I think his best work is his short stories. I have two volumes that have collected about two hundred of them.  

Ray Bradbury's short stories are wonderful! I especially love some of the ones in The October Country.

I just read "The Emperor's Soul" and Edgedancer, and have now started into Oathbringer. I'm wondering if this book is going to be like WoR, where

Spoiler

I had a theory all the way through the book that I was so sure was true, and then it got literally stabbed in the face at the end.

On 11/12/2019 at 7:34 PM, Dunkum said:

it was, and its a pretty good one.  thankfully whoever had it out was already over a week into their 2 week loan, so i only had to wait 5 days.  put the next 3 on hold this time, but book 8 (Proven Guilty) is the one due back latest - I think whoever checked it out did so on the same day that I placed the hold, so may have to actually wit the full 2 weeks - so I'm hoping that I get it with enough time left to finish it plus the other 2.  depending on when they get returned, it could be dicey.

welp this is going about as well as I expected - books 9 and 10 were automatically chekced out to me this week, but im still waiting on book 8.  if whoever has it keeps it for the whole 2 week loan period (these books just aren't that long, how does it take 2 weeks to get through one????), then i'll get it on the 26th and have just about 4 days to read through all 3 books before the later ones get checked back in automatically...

I'm still reading The Dragon Reborn, going a bit slow think I might be burn out a little, and have just bought The Call of Cthulhu and The Legend of the Condor Heroes. Looking for some good LOTR-like adventure series, hopefully get Starsight soon but I think there's a limit to how much I can read at the same time without just burning myself out!

I've been stuck on The Shadow Rising for three months now.  Definitely burnt out a little bit.  Not that it's not good, every time I pick up the book I get hooked, it's just been a lot of effort to pick it back up each time, lol.  So I put it down and I'm going to read Edgedancer, since it's short and I've been craving Stormlight really bad lately.  I don't have to commit to Oathbringer just yet so I don't feel as bad putting TSR down until I finish it.

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, What's a Seawolf? said:

Just finished the Burning White and LOVED it.  Bumped the Lightbringer series into my top 3 of all time.

Will hopefully write a full review some other time, but for anyone who hasn't read the series yet, I would highly, highly recommend it.

I'm starting Burning White tonight! I can't wait!

On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 1:53 PM, Who Sharded? said:

I'm about 250 pages into The Burning White.  It's alright so far but I'm not really hooked.

I am happy to see all of the positive impressions of the book.  Reviews elsewhere have been more mixed.

I wasn't hooked right away either, but it ultimately blew me away.  I've seen so many of my favorite series become mockeries or bomb the ending, but I think The Burning White knocked it out of the park.

Finished the Emperor reread. Tough to decide what to do next. As of this post I’m reading Expanse 6 due to S4 just releasing but I’m not excited about the read. I mostly started it because I’m tired of avoiding any spoilers and I’m so far behind I’m really lucky I haven’t been spoiled one bit yet. Still yeah I’m not like “OHMYGODEXPANSE6EFFYEAHMAN!” (Ed: I was like that through 1-4 but bk 5 bored me so much.)

Would have been happier with Lightbringer 5.

Will continue with Malazan series re/read no matter what even if it’s just a page a day I’m determined to finish the combined series.

Edited by Briar King

1 hour ago, Briar King said:

Finished the Emperor reread. Tough to decide what to do next. As of this post I’m reading Expanse 6 due to S4 just releasing but I’m not excited about the read. I mostly started it because I’m tired of avoiding any spoilers and I’m so far behind I’m really lucky I haven’t been spoiled one bit yet. Still yeah I’m not like “OHMYGODEXPANSE6EFFYEAHMAN!” (Ed: I was like that through 1-4 but bk 5 bored me so much.)

I had about the same reaction to the later expanse books.  1-3 were great, and 4 was pretty good.  I got through 5 and 6, and about halfway through 7 before just sort of giving up on it.  they weren't bad exactly, but i just lost interest.

right now ive been doing a mistborn reread while waiting on my holds for dresden files.  Working on Hero of Ages now while waiting on Cold Days to become available.  figure I'll get through Skin Game and then work on the short stories.

I'll start Wrath of Empire today, as it somehow always fell off my table. I don't even really know why, as I'd liked it a lot, but then there are more good books than I have reading time. Anyway with Blood of Empire home as well, it's time to get back into that series. I liked the first one a lot and I'm really excited to see how it might go on.

I also placed some preorders on a couple books (e.g. Empire of Gold) hitting the marking in 2020 (apart from SA4), so I won't get bored anytime soon ^_^

Going to start Blood of Empire soon - - trying to discern whether to reread the first 2 volumes of "Gods of Blood & Powder" first, or maybe just WoE since I've already read SoE a few times & can remember it pretty well. We are sooooooo fortunate to have this richness of great books to read!:D

Finished The Light Of All That Falls. Man what an ending! It’s one of the few fantasy series where I’ve actually cared about almost all the characters. Typically I cling on to a few but loose interest in the full cast (WoT I’m talking to you). This was different. The books take a little concentration to keep up with all that is going on but it’s worth it in the end. Beautiful and very satisfying ending.

I was a little disappointed as one arc was kind of dropped and not explained completely then I found out it was intentionally left out because of book size and the author plans to write a separate novel on it. 

I recommend the Licanius Trilogy to any Sanderson fans. I think you will like it! 

32 minutes ago, StormingTexan said:

Finished The Light Of All That Falls. Man what an ending! It’s one of the few fantasy series where I’ve actually cared about almost all the characters. Typically I cling on to a few but loose interest in the full cast (WoT I’m talking to you). This was different. The books take a little concentration to keep up with all that is going on but it’s worth it in the end. Beautiful and very satisfying ending.

I've got it home, but decided to finish gods of blood and powder first. I liked the first two, although something was missing. All in all I never really warmed up to them completely . Still look forward to the ending though, especially if it's satisfying.

2 hours ago, Ookla the Dreamer said:

I've got it home, but decided to finish gods of blood and powder first. I liked the first two, although something was missing. All in all I never really warmed up to them completely . Still look forward to the ending though, especially if it's satisfying.

That is my next one up after Starsight. I hope you end up enjoying it!