Chaos

What Are You Reading, Part 2

4,723 posts in this topic

On 10/14/2019 at 9:26 AM, Truthless of Shinovar said:

On that topic, after about a year of reading the series, I just finished Towers of Midnight!! SO good, but I can’t wait to see how Memory of Light goes, and I’m really hoping that everything gets tied up in the end.

I am hyped on your behalf! You will enjoy it I'm sure- but be sure to read chapter 37 in one sitting.

Wheel of Time Great Hunt is still great but like the other first 6 novels, its just long where itll take forever to finish reading.

Earlier today ive been reading Star Wars X-Wing: Wedge's  Gambit which ill finish in 2 or 3 days quick

Well, looks like White Sand 3 maaaaaaay be out. Time to pretend that counts as the yearly allotment of new Cosmere. 

13 hours ago, Orlion the Platypus said:

Well, looks like White Sand 3 maaaaaaay be out. Time to pretend that counts as the yearly allotment of new Cosmere. 

I did enjoy volume 3, I think it's going a great new direction but I also counted it as new Cosmere (because really, it is) and i'll take it!

3 hours ago, Wander89 said:

I did enjoy volume 3, I think it's going a great new direction but I also counted it as new Cosmere (because really, it is) and i'll take it!

I haven't caught up with volume 2 yet.  my biggest problem wiht the white sand volumes is how short they are.  it doesn't really satisfy my cosmere fix when it takes less than an hour to read through it

6 minutes ago, Dunkum said:

I haven't caught up with volume 2 yet.  my biggest problem wiht the white sand volumes is how short they are.  it doesn't really satisfy my cosmere fix when it takes less than an hour to read through it

I'm not that fast a reader, wish I could read them in less than an hour but going from Stormlight chunks to White Sand is definitely a noticeable difference but I applaud Sanderson and the team for trying other mediums.

2 hours ago, Wander89 said:

I'm not that fast a reader, wish I could read them in less than an hour but going from Stormlight chunks to White Sand is definitely a noticeable difference but I applaud Sanderson and the team for trying other mediums.

well, i havent read or reread any of them in a while, so an hour might actually be short - not really sure.  but its a definite drop in quantity compared to the normal installments.

ive been reading Star Wars X-Wing: Wedge's Gambit.  when Im finished with that this weekend ill jump back into the Bounty Hunter Wars Trilogy along with Wheel of Time Great Hunt

Rereading Use of Weapons by Iain M Banks. There are two alternating storylines. One that goes forwards and marked with normal Arabic numerals (1,2,3 etc) in ascending order. The other in marked in Roman numerals and goes in descending order and thus goes back in time. This time I am reading the Roman numeral section in the chronological order so I am beginning in the back of the book. It’s a fun way to experience the story and make new connections. Although my favorite Culture book will always be The Player of Games.

Finished Scratchman over the weekend. Started out creepy in the first half but the second half turned into a kind of Wonderland in hell story since it got whimsy and silly. Kind of funny how people turning into scarecrows was creepier than old scratch himself.

Tom Baker isn’t my favorite Doctor but I do enjoy his run but even I can see how much of a vanity project this story was and I’m not mad about that since the book was enjoyable. It was hard to figure out how this would’ve worked as a film so maybe that’s for the best. It was also obvious which parts were added for this ‘novelisation’ (can something be called that if the filmed product never came to be?) since there were scenes that couldn’t have been thought of at the time, like the Doctor meeting one of his newest bodies (when you read the descriptives it’s obvious which Doctor it is) and Sarah Jane seeing her future that includes her appearance in K-9 and Company, School Reunion and even her show.

Its good if you want more Doctor Who in your life and are curious about an aborted film project.

Well gonna take a short break and go All Systems Red with a certain murderbot by Martha Wells.

Approaching the end of The Burning White by Weeks and will finish tomorrow. An absolute tour de force and the best thing the author has written. Unless things change dramatically my current ranking of the Lightbringer series is 5,3,2,4,1.

1 hour ago, Ammanas said:

Approaching the end of The Burning White by Weeks and will finish tomorrow. An absolute tour de force and the best thing the author has written. Unless things change dramatically my current ranking of the Lightbringer series is 5,3,2,4,1.

about 2/3 of the way through myself.  theres a few quibbles I have with it, things that seem like they weren't set up as well as I'd have liked in previous books, but overall i agree

2 hours ago, Ammanas said:

I’m finishing a re-read almost done with blood mirror right now before I begin. I should have started earlier! My ranking 1-4 is the same as yours except swapping 4 and 1. Looking forward to 5 seems like most people have favorable opinions. 

After that a Licanius re-read before the last book. Then a reread before Blood of Empire. Lots of good releases! 

As my Cosmere (re)read is kinda stuck (I'm just not in the mood, I want SA4!) I started rereading the Temeraire series by Naomi Novik three weeks ago and am likely to finish book 7 tonight. After that, it's likely either a reread of ther standalone novel Uprooted or I'll skip that and go straight to Spinning Silver which I haven't read yet.

Finished All Systems Red. Would’ve finished in one sitting but I kept being interrupted. It’s an interesting story that makes me want to read the other novellas in the series.

Now I’m going to start on Wilds Cards by George R. R. Martin.

I'm in the last chapters of The Burning White and so far it has been brilliant, my plan is to finish it today after work. I was a bit disappointed with the 4th one, but so far the 5th one is so much better than I expected, I haven't read the ending yet, so I'm still a little careful. The ending can destroy a lot for me.

I'll probably go back to finish City of Brass afterwards, had to take a break for Lightbringer 5.

Edited by Sorana

On my nightstand, it sits and waits and for some reason, I can't start it... The Wheel of time.
WOT and Malazan book of the Fallen are the 2 final great and big fantasy series I haven't even touched all these years.
I am a bit scared of the commitment and following burnout, I will feel at the end. 
When I start a book series it's really hard for me to let it go or read anything else before finishing it.
I will have to stop for a new Cosmere book and if the planets and stars align for another Kingkiller or Gentleman bastards. 

finished The Burning White on Saturday, then blitzed through books 4, 5, and 6 of the Dresden Files in the last 3 days.  now i have a hold placed on book 7, but i'll have to wait up to 2 weeks for that to get resolved.  debating whether to look for something else in teh meantime, or to just take a bit of a break until the hold comes through.

The Toll by Neal Shusterman. Already about halfway through, and it’s very, very good so far. Excellent payoff to the two previous books in the trilogy.

On 11/5/2019 at 8:28 PM, Dunkum said:

placed on book 7

Pretty sure that one is Dead Beat (my personal favorite of the series). 

Currently I’m on Sins of Empire by Brian McClellan. It’s taken my a while to get to this sequel trilogy because I thought the first trilogy was just ok. I must say I am enjoying this book far more and am having a lot of fun with it! Also rereading some Ray Bradbury short stories. Most people know him only for Fahrenheit 451 but I think his best work is his short stories. I have two volumes that have collected about two hundred of them.  

4 minutes ago, Ammanas said:

Pretty sure that one is Dead Beat (my personal favorite of the series). 

it was, and its a pretty good one.  thankfully whoever had it out was already over a week into their 2 week loan, so i only had to wait 5 days.  put the next 3 on hold this time, but book 8 (Proven Guilty) is the one due back latest - I think whoever checked it out did so on the same day that I placed the hold, so may have to actually wit the full 2 weeks - so I'm hoping that I get it with enough time left to finish it plus the other 2.  depending on when they get returned, it could be dicey.

18 minutes ago, Ammanas said:

Currently I’m on Sins of Empire by Brian McClellan. It’s taken my a while to get to this sequel trilogy because I thought the first trilogy was just ok. I must say I am enjoying this book far more and am having a lot of fun with it! 

I like the first trilogy but the second is much better. I’m about to re-read it before reading the last book. 

Almost done with The Burning White and I think it’s the best in the series so far. I was not super thrilled with the last book but I think as a whole this is going to be a great series.