What Are You Reading, Part 2

Chaos

10 hours ago, Wander89 said:

I'm currently going to read Uzumaki by Junji Ito. I remember reading this when I was younger and being completely freaked the hell out!

Wow! Have fun with that one. It's indeed one of the most disgusting things I've read. Inventive and beautifully drawn all the same.

14 hours ago, Elegy said:

Wow! Have fun with that one. It's indeed one of the most disgusting things I've read. Inventive and beautifully drawn all the same.

10 hours ago, The Kraken's Daughter said:

I recently got his Tomie as a gift but haven't gotten around to reading it yet.

I remember reading Uzumaki when I was younger and it freaked me out! I'm looking into his other works but I'm looking forward to reading this fresh (since I've either forgotten or just blanked it all out)

1 hour ago, Wander89 said:

I'm looking into his other works but I'm looking forward to reading this fresh (since I've either forgotten or just blanked it all out)

I didn't like any of his other works quite as much as Uzumaki, but they're all well-done regarding the art style at least. Although one thing he did that really stuck with me and disturbed me in an equally memorable way was his short story The Thing That Drifted Ashore. Very Lovecraft-ian and unsettling, while being pretty minimalistic at the same time. It's only one chapter.

1 minute ago, Elegy said:

I didn't like any of his other works quite as much as Uzumaki, but they're all well-done regarding the art style at least. Although one thing he did that really stuck with me and disturbed me in an equally memorable way was his short story The Thing That Drifted Ashore. Very Lovecraft-ian and unsettling, while being pretty minimalistic at the same time. It's only one chapter.

I'm going to take a look after Uzumaki. Tomei and Gyo interest me enough 

I've decided to drop the Witcher halfway through Sword of Destiny for a number of reasons. Firstly, something about the writing felr kind of off. Maybe it's because it is a translated book and was not written originally in english. Secondly, the short stories just felt pointless. There was nothing to draw me in. Not the characters, not the plot and notthe setting. And finally, most character's view of women annoyed me.

So now I'm rereading WB but with the annotations this time. I'm also doing a read-along of the Silmarillion together with some friends, and it's awesome. The book was a real drag the first time I read it, but with friends and a weekly reading goal I can really appreciate the sheer epicness of the stories. I'm even more upset now that the Amazon TV series won't focus on the first age...

We just finished the first age, and will start the Akallabêth soon.

When I'm done with that, I'll finally hop back into the Realm of the Elderlings. I've put that series on hold a long time ago in order to read WoT, but now I can go back to it at last. I need to read the Liveship traders and the Fitz and the Fool trilogies and I'll be done...

I am finishing Voices of Chernobyl and Genghis Khan and the Making of the Modern World. They're both amazing books. Voices is the second Chernobyl book I read after watching the HBO mini-series and I have been stuck on 75% for a while because it's actually super depressing. I started Genghis Khan in the mean time and am at 75% of that now as well. I plan to finish both here in the next few days and move on to why I joined this forum... to read Sanderson for the first time!

Genghis Khan and the Making of the Modern World completely changed everything I thought of Genghis Khan and Mongols in history. I definitely recommend it. It is actually kind of crazy how progressive he was with how bad his reputation is these days.

Edit, 40 minutes later: After posting this, I decided to go relax and read a bit more of Genghis Khan and I have finished it! I highly recommend this book.

Edit, 11 hours later: I have now also finished Voices of Chernobyl... another great book but SUPER intense. Elantris time!

Edited by AbroadKew
To add note about finishing Genghis Khan and then later Chernobyl.

The Maxwell Institute Study Edition of The Book of Mormon. This book is the only way I will be reading the Book of Mormon in the future. It has quotation marks, proper paragraph breaks, it separates when the text is in poetry, it shows the differences between various texts (the original manuscript, printers manuscript etc in the footnotes), it has a really cool map, it includes the original chapter numbers that came with the plates (along with what we currently use). Much else as well. It makes the text just so much more easier to read and much more engaging. It’s like reading it for the first time. I can not recommend it enough for those wanting to study this text.

Edited by Ammanas

Im still reading Wheel of Time Great Hunt, but I also just started reading Star Wars X-Wing novel book 1 along with Star Wars Bounty Hunter Wars Trilogy. 

ive read the X-Wing book 1 novel twice before so Ill pretty much breeze through it then move on to the next X-Wing novels

18 hours ago, urrutiap said:

Im still reading Wheel of Time Great Hunt, but I also just started reading Star Wars X-Wing novel book 1 along with Star Wars Bounty Hunter Wars Trilogy. 

ive read the X-Wing book 1 novel twice before so Ill pretty much breeze through it then move on to the next X-Wing novels

Also still reading TGH, I'm not into it as much as EOTW but it's enough to keep me interested in the story. I'll have to put it down shortly when Starsight comes out.

On 10/12/2019 at 7:46 AM, Wander89 said:

Also still reading TGH, I'm not into it as much as EOTW but it's enough to keep me interested in the story. I'll have to put it down shortly when Starsight comes out.

I like Eye far more than GH.  It’s good, but I really feel like it’s kind of just the second half of EotW, but stretched out to be its own book, lol.

3 hours ago, NottTheBrave said:

I like Eye far more than GH.  It’s good, but I really feel like it’s kind of just the second half of EotW, but stretched out to be its own book, lol.

I can't really comment since I haven't finished it but I think I'm liking more of how the story is unfolding in TGH. Probably because it's all been set up by TEotW though.

2 hours ago, Dunkum said:

Dragon Reborn is better than both of them, IMO, so you have that to look forward to.

1 hour ago, Jaywalk said:

I may be in the minority here, but I really enjoyed TGH. Significantly more than TEotW.

Looking forward to Dragon Reborn but I heard it is without Rand?

2 hours ago, Jaywalk said:

I really enjoyed it. Rand’s just off screen being emo most of the book, so it’s not like being in his head would be all that enjoyable anyway.

you missed the hyper important point that its the first book with Mat's view point.  its incredible how muc hdifference that single fact makes.