What Are You Reading, Part 2

Chaos

On 9/16/2019 at 2:57 PM, Who Sharded? said:

Also Starsight and Brian McClellan's Blood of Empire to conclude his trilogy this December.  And we got Pierce Brown's Dark Age recently.  This is the most stacked 6 months or so of fantasy releases that I can remember.

Also False Value by Ben Aaronovitch (Rivers of London book 8) coming out in November, which I just pre-ordered.

On 9/9/2019 at 7:56 PM, Ammanas said:

Also we will be getting a new Abercrombie this month so that’s another one to look forward to

Abercrombie had a tour event today at the Waterstones ~3 blocks from me, but unfortunately I didn't get back from a work trip until a couple hours after it ended.

got through the first 3 dresden files books, but theres a 4 person hold line for book 4 at the library.  which means i might have to wait 2 months before it gets to me.  in the meantime gonna try to reread the lightbringer series in prep for the final book.

Edited by Dunkum

I read this incredible book a few weeks ago. It's called Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo(?) Oh my storms it was AMAZING. It got me out of my weird reading slump. I HIGHLY recommend it.

I'm also slowly working my way through book five of tWoT. 

11 hours ago, Tesh said:

I read this incredible book a few weeks ago. It's called Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo(?) Oh my storms it was AMAZING. It got me out of my weird reading slump. I HIGHLY recommend it.

I'm also slowly working my way through book five of tWoT. 

I love Six of Crows! Have you read Crooked Kingdom yet?

6 hours ago, Jaywalk said:

I love Six of Crows! Have you read Crooked Kingdom yet?

Yeah. It made me cry so hard!

The only problem is that i have Six of Crows in paperback, and Crooked Kingdom in hardcover. With sprayed edges. 

But I'm going to start reading the Shadow and Bone trilogy soon. I just have to finish my MB re-read.

40 minutes ago, Tesh said:

Yeah. It made me cry so hard!

The only problem is that i have Six of Crows in paperback, and Crooked Kingdom in hardcover. With sprayed edges. 

But I'm going to start reading the Shadow and Bone trilogy soon. I just have to finish my MB re-read.

The Shadow and Bone trilogy was alright. I didn’t love it, but it does add some background to a few characters that show up in the duology.

16 hours ago, urrutiap said:

Finished reading Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor earlier today.

Now im planning on reading the Bounty Hunter Wars Trilogy in hardcover along with Star Wars Lost Stars

Totally read that as Shadows of Mordor and now I'm disappointed that it isn't the crossover I was expecting :huh:

Edited by Wander89
SPELLING

Finished Storm Front. Would’ve finished much earlier but got a bit sidetracked around the middle so I didn’t get back to it for a couple weeks.

Pretty good book that was smart and funny (actually snorted at one point) so I’m definitely going to pick up the rest of the series.

Now that October has come back I’m going to do some horror themed reading. Going to start with Doctor Who: Scratchman and after that I’m going to read The Walking Dead comics I have.

Started the Wheel of Time series again. Read the first book. It read it 7 years ago. It was the first novel I had read and was amazed by it. It is good. I'm onto the second one. I have some issues with the depiction of women in the book. They are quite... emotional. And the whole 'MEN' thing. Still, I like it. Maybe I have too much expectations, or maybe it is because times have changed since then.

I also started (well, it is the incorrect word), Jane Austen's novel 'Pride and Prejudice'. I read it while waiting for my flight at airport (reached 7 hours earlier :P ), and went till chapter 36 in my first reading. I have read very few classics (Silas Manor, Brother's Karamazov, Great Expectations), but this one is quickly becoming my favourite. It is quite difficult to believe that Austen made such protagonists 200 years ago. 

4 hours ago, Hood said:

I have some issues with the depiction of women in the book. They are quite... emotional. And the whole 'MEN' thing. Still, I like it. Maybe I have too much expectations, or maybe it is because times have changed since then.

This is one of the series' biggest flaws, and it gets old fast.

On 9/25/2019 at 8:53 PM, Briar King said:

Gideon the Ninth by Tamsyn Muir.

35 pgs in and so far so good.

I've heard good things about this one.

I'm reading a short story collection by F. Brett Cox called The End of All Our Exploring. The first two stories were kind of weak, but the ones since have been very good. One in particular was very fitting for reading as we move into the Halloween season--not so much outright scary as unsettling.