What Are You Reading, Part 2

Chaos

On 30/07/2019 at 3:11 AM, urrutiap said:

I woulidnt  mind buying and reading a Terry Pratchet book but theres way too many of those lol.  This coming weekend for August Im going out of town and planning on going to Barnes and Noble to get my usual fix of Star Wars and maybe get the Aliens Omnibus Volume 1 paperback novel. 

As for Terry Pratchett, anyone got any ideas of what to start out with for a Terry Pratchett book?

I've been tempted to check this out but Diskworld is... well.... Huge.

2 hours ago, AerionBFII said:

I've been tempted to check this out but Diskworld is... well.... Huge.

you're reading Malazan.....sure Discworld has about 4x as many books as the main Malazan series, but they are smaller books. i'd bet they are similar in terms of page count or word count.

Edited by Dunkum

On 24.07.2019 at 9:39 PM, Storming Radiant said:

I've been thinking about starting the witcher series before the tv show starts. Any opinions about it? Also, if someone can tell me the proper reading order (I understood that there are also some short stories and stuff) I'll be reall greatful...

I started the books for the same reason about a month ago and I'm on book 4 out of 7, they read pretty quickly though. Kind of similar as with The final empire, the first book you should start with is The last wish, then continue with Sword of destiny before picking up Blood of elves (Time of contempt, Baptism of fire etc). The first two ( The last wish & Sword of destiny) are short story collections and they introduce you to the world and some of the characters that will appear later in the books. At first I was kind of dreading reading them because I wanted to jump straight into the action, but they grew on me a lot and I think it helps you understand the story/motives etc better. The magic system and the writing are not that similar with Brandon's in the sense that the magic is more "traditional" (not really explained) and you're not that much into the characters' head. They grow and they are complex and layered, but their actions speak more than their thoughts if that make sense. That being said I think the books are good. They definetly have that folklore/story vibe to them and the first collection gets a lot of inspiration from classical stories (like Snow white, Beauty & the best etc.), but it twists them in an original way. I really like the interraction between the main characters, they're not blood related, but they care a lot about eachother and they are fighting to protect one another. It also plays nicely with the mentor/apprentice trope. 

I finally finished Jo Nesbø’s The Bat. It’s good, sad and frankly disturbing at times (the killers reason for killing the women is messed up) but it was such a drag at the beginning with all the random tangents that only makes sense later, whether it’s a few pages or towards the end, that I had a hard time reading it. I have heard he didn’t hit his stride until the third book so I’m willing to give the next couple of Harry Hole (don’t be dirty, it’s pronounced HO-LAY) a chance.

In the meantime I’m starting the next book of Serena Valentino’s Villains series, The Odd Sisters: A Tale of the Three Witches. The one for next year sounds interesting since that’s going to be Cruella and the title is Evil Thing: A Tale of That Devil Woman.

I utilized this seemingly never-ending Cosmere drought for a Stormlight Archive re-read. Started on August 1st and now I'm in the middle of Edgedancer. Absolutely beautiful. I think the whole War of Reckoning story arc is my favorite ever (always suspected that but wanted it confirmed). I consider writing a little roundup of things I noticed once I'm through. :)

Edit: Got through on August 24th. That makes, I think, 51,000 words a day. :lol:

Edited by Elegy

Finished The Odd Sisters. Pretty good and a little predictable when the twist of their origins was coming up. This was a bit of a loose ends book so there’s not any film stuff here. The ending felt a bit rushed the way it happened.

There was a nice few pages from the Odd Sister’s journal that apparently gives hints to stuff for the next 3 books so it’s going to be interesting how Cruella ties in since it is confirmed her story is set at a different time (kind of has to since 101 Dalmatians is set in the 60’s so this book will most likely be set anywhere from the 30’s to 50’s for her childhood) and will be a break from the current story despite being in the same land.

Now I’m off to Chicago to see about a wizard for hire with Storm Front.

Really enjoying Storm Front. B&N has a #bookhaul sale going on so I went to see what was being offered. It was slim pickings for me but I got both Aru Shah books and found a Doctor Who book that’s based off the unused film script Doctor Who Meets Scratchman, which is supposed to be a horror story so I’m thinking to save it for October.

im almost done reading Star Wars Battlefront Twilight Company.  After that I dunno what Ill be reading in September. Probably start re-reading Star Wars Shadows of the Empire and then hopefully i should start reading the first Mistborn trilogy and continue reading To Kill a Mockingbird

6 hours ago, Dunkum said:

hmmm. i've been tryign to think of something i could read that isn't a reread.  i'll have to see if my library has dresden files.

About 60 pages into the first now.  I wouldn’t exactly say it’s great.  Everything I’ve read says the series improves dramatically as it goes on.  It’s a first book, and it really shows in a lot of ways.  Still enjoyable, but know that going in.

3 minutes ago, NottTheBrave said:

About 60 pages into the first now.  I wouldn’t exactly say it’s great.  Everything I’ve read says the series improves dramatically as it goes on.  It’s a first book, and it really shows in a lot of ways.  Still enjoyable, but know that going in.

I've seen it recommended periodically.   I did read a related short story one time, and liked it well enough, though I still didnt quite get the overall hype for the series.  could have just been a bad example though.  I'll have to give it an honest try and see for myself.

7 hours ago, NottTheBrave said:

Personally I felt the dramatic improvement started with book four, Summer Knight.  If I recall correctly, Butcher was only picked up by an editor after the first three books had already been written, and I think having an editor made a massive difference.  I considered giving up on the series after the third book, but I'm very glad I gave it another chance.

For my part, I am now most of the way through The Obelisk Gate by N. K. Jemisin.  Over the weekend I finally found my way to a local independent bookstore (several months after moving to Liverpool), where I picked up this short history book about the period in the '80s when the Trotskyist group Militant controlled the local government, which I expect will be my next read.

13 hours ago, Just a Lifetime said:

Personally I felt the dramatic improvement started with book four, Summer Knight.  If I recall correctly, Butcher was only picked up by an editor after the first three books had already been written, and I think having an editor made a massive difference.  I considered giving up on the series after the third book, but I'm very glad I gave it another chance.

For my part, I am now most of the way through The Obelisk Gate by N. K. Jemisin.  Over the weekend I finally found my way to a local independent bookstore (several months after moving to Liverpool), where I picked up this short history book about the period in the '80s when the Trotskyist group Militant controlled the local government, which I expect will be my next read.

Thats actually really good to know, and makes sense it context of what I'm reading.  The book definitely has its issues, and share of things I'd have edited out.

Went to Barnes and Noble and picked up the mass market paperback of Oathbringer today!  Gonna plow through the rest of shadow rising and Storm Front, then do Edgedancer and Oathbringer.  I wanted to put off those two until I made my way further into WoT, but I can't help it.  I want to read them. :D