What Are You Reading, Part 2

Chaos

Currently ive breezed through the first 200 pages of Eye of the World but taking my time with it since I did read it before a long time ago back in 1997 or 1998.  Im not in a big rush or anything but with a big book like that I dont want to put it aside and forget about it. I do know ill be reading it in July and i might also read the second book also depends on the mood I am to even be reading Wheel of Time book 2

Villains by Necessity by Eve Forward.  

Read it years ago. It went out of print and copies are like $50 bucks, but now it's on Kindle for like $5 (or free if you used Unlimited).

So 150 years ago a small band of Heroes won the battle against the Big Bad.  The Dark Lord is struck down, his army vanquished, his collection of evil artifacts destroyed, etc.  Good and light flourishes once again.  But the Heroes don't stop there.  Evil portals are shut down, dark magics are cut off, evil aligned creatures are hunted to the point of extinction.  Evil aligned citizens such as thieves begin to leave their jobs and take up roles as farmers, and everything's just SO GOOD.......that it's not.  It's all a little TOO good, dangerously good, and a bunch of villains have to set things right.

The first half the book (the big set up, a few twists, introducing the characters) is pretty entertaining.   The latter half just gets monotonous and very, very predictable.  Also pokes a lot of fun at fantasy tropes, particularly Dragonlance.

12 hours ago, Jaywalk said:

Started Book 1 of Lightbringer, The Black Prism, the other day. I’m loving it so far.

Excited to hear how it is. A lot of people say if you like Sanderson then you'll like this so I might do this after I finish Stormlight again.

1 hour ago, Wander89 said:

I like how easy the Era 2 books are compared to the Era 1 books yet they still contain as much excitement and battle

I know! Mistborn takes me about... 4-5 days to read. I started my era 2 reread yesterday, lol.

Finished Shadows of Self and chugging away at Bands of Mourning.

These books just BEG for fanart but with a final coming up and commission work to do idk when I'll be able to do any. :c
Not to mention my crippling anxiety that comes with drawing people. Because I can't draw people.

7 hours ago, Kestrel said:

Finished Shadows of Self and chugging away at Bands of Mourning.

These books just BEG for fanart but with a final coming up and commission work to do idk when I'll be able to do any. :c
Not to mention my crippling anxiety that comes with drawing people. Because I can't draw people.

Some of the fan art is truly brilliant. I think all of them really need some more art. I CANNOT draw so I envy those that can do it.

1 hour ago, Wander89 said:

Some of the fan art is truly brilliant. I think all of them really need some more art. I CANNOT draw so I envy those that can do it.

Haha, I used to do some Cosmere fanart wayy back in the day. It might still be floating around the Creative Corner. Sadly it's on par with my work now as far as humans go, because I'm primarily an animal artist. I think last time I drew a human was a year ago, because it was a requirement in my drawing I class.

I drew TenSoon a lot though.

Spoiler

NEqIEIJ.jpg

1 hour ago, Kestrel said:

Haha, I used to do some Cosmere fanart wayy back in the day. It might still be floating around the Creative Corner. Sadly it's on par with my work now as far as humans go, because I'm primarily an animal artist. I think last time I drew a human was a year ago, because it was a requirement in my drawing I class.

I drew TenSoon a lot though.

Hide contents

NEqIEIJ.jpg

That's actually a pretty creative drawing. Actually looking forward to it if you actually do some more!!

Finished my reread of Prince of Thorns the other day and started King again.

im still battling Dust of Dreams ugh and I have sooo much of it left. Been 6 months and I’m only around pg 370.

bout 65 pgs left of New Sun 1 and then I’m going to be putting 2-4 & Urth on hold cause I have other things I want to read and Wolfe is to good/heavy to be reading other books at the same time not giving him my full attention is a disservice to him.

i want to start Licanus 1 asap but this will likely be after I finish up the reread of Emperor of Thorns after King.

A little over 400 pages into the Great Hunt!  Under 200 to go.  Should finish it pretty soon.  Mom is up to visit for the fourth, so no idea how much reading I'll be doing!  Really got her into Sanderson, so she keeps asking a lot of questions I don't have answers to yet! XD

I went out of town all day yesterday to do some shopping. I went to the comic book shop and picked up some of those True Believers reprints of old Amazing Spider-Man stuff,some old Alpha Flight issues, Gideon Falls # 10 and an old issue of NOW Comics Ghostbusters.

then i went to Barnes and Noble and bought Mistborn: Alloys of Law and Shadows of Self along with Star Wars Choices of One and a new bookmark

22 hours ago, urrutiap said:

I went out of town all day yesterday to do some shopping. I went to the comic book shop and picked up some of those True Believers reprints of old Amazing Spider-Man stuff,some old Alpha Flight issues, Gideon Falls # 10 and an old issue of NOW Comics Ghostbusters.

then i went to Barnes and Noble and bought Mistborn: Alloys of Law and Shadows of Self along with Star Wars Choices of One and a new bookmark

Sounds like a great day!

3 hours ago, Kestrel said:

Just finished Bands of Mourning, then read Secret History this morning.

Now to start Oathbringer again, but that'll be my reward for making it through this math final in two days.

Did you read the other SA novels? I'm currently doing Cosmere re-read and only Stormlight level. it's exciting seeing the blatantly obvious things are just a revelation 

Edited by Wander89
Not Completed

11 hours ago, Wander89 said:

Did you read the other SA novels? I'm currently doing Cosmere re-read and only Stormlight level. it's exciting seeing the blatantly obvious things are just a revelation 

Yep! Words of Radiance twice and Way of Kings three times. I actually used WoK in my english class in my junior year of high school. Teacher said we had to annotate a book. I decided to make her life miserable and use WoK. She was so mad at me. I turned it in a week early. She was fuming. Showed it to her other classes like "someone did this. I have to grade it now. Look. There's no annotation gaps. None. She read the entire thing and annotated it. Now I have to grade it."
There was a page count cap the next time we got to pick a book.

I just  bought another paperback book yesterday. I went to the Dollar General store and bought book 3 of the Dragon Brigade Trilogy.  I swear every time at Dollar General stores, they always have the third book of a fantasy book series lol.  Which means you have to go order online on amazone or whatever to get the other books

Just finished Crowfall by Ed McDonald which completes the trilogy. It’s a good trilogy with a fitting ending. Crowfall was probably my least favorite of the three because it was the most grim and lacked the occasional humor of the previous books. It makes sense though... there are a lot of troubling things in the world at this point of the plot.