What Are You Reading, Part 2

Chaos

12 minutes ago, NottTheBrave said:

I remember hearing about that!  It's one of the next things I'll pick up, probably in August.  My birthday is the 9th and that'd make an easy pick-up for my family to get me!    It's about Lift right?  I liked her interlude, so I'm looking forward to it!

Im currently up to chapter 5 in The Eye of the World!

Yeah it's a novella about Lift. Expands on her character or you can read Warbreaker which has some tie-ins to Stormlight, also.

Wheel of Time is also a good series, long though. I'm gonna start once I've finished my Stormlight reread. 

7 minutes ago, Wander89 said:

Yeah it's a novella about Lift. Expands on her character or you can read Warbreaker which has some tie-ins to Stormlight, also.

I'd definitely recommend reading both of these prior to Oathbringer.  Edgedancer in particular is specificlaly set between Lift's interlude in WoR and the beginning of Oathbringer.

59 minutes ago, Dunkum said:

I'd definitely recommend reading both of these prior to Oathbringer.  Edgedancer in particular is specificlaly set between Lift's interlude in WoR and the beginning of Oathbringer.

Things definitely make a lot more sense with the knowledge of these novels behind you!

I'll have to pick them up when I get a chance!  I'm now knee deep into Eye of the World.  Just finished chapter twenty-four, up to page 345 in my copy.  I'm burning through it, and LOVING it.  Going to order books 2 and 3 when I wake up.  I decided I want to go to JordanCon next year, so I'm going to try and finish the whole series before I go.  

8 hours ago, NottTheBrave said:

I'll have to pick them up when I get a chance!  I'm now knee deep into Eye of the World.  Just finished chapter twenty-four, up to page 345 in my copy.  I'm burning through it, and LOVING it.  Going to order books 2 and 3 when I wake up.  I decided I want to go to JordanCon next year, so I'm going to try and finish the whole series before I go.  

Good to see you're enjoying it since ill be moving onto this series next!

10 hours ago, Wander89 said:

Good to see you're enjoying it since ill be moving onto this series next!

Oh yes, I've had a great time reading it!  Took a bit to get going, but I've absolutely devoured it in the past three days.  Up to page 500 now.  Ordered the next two wheel of Time books as I think I'm ready for a long haul!

Empire of Grass by Tad Williams. As I keep saying to people one doesn’t read a Tad book expecting plot advancement or much to happen. One reads it for character development, world building, and the prose. Glad to be back in Osten Ard!

I refuse to start name of the wind until there's any word on an actual date for the final book.  Not a big fan of authors who just disappear for a decade between books.  I hear it's fantastic though, and that makes the pain of waiting harder.  My dad tried to get me to read it for years, but now he just grumbles about the third book.

i finished Eye of the World a bit ago!  Really excited to dig into The Great Hunt tonight!  

Just finished Stars Above. Since it’s a short story collection it’s better to just give individual opinions on each story.

The Keeper: So nice to get a story featuring Scarlet’s grand-mere and how she came to care for Cinder while also keeping Scarlet in the dark. It’s just sad when you get to the end when Cinder has to leave.

Glitches: This is about when Cinder first came to live with her stepfamily. It was so sweet how Peony instantly liked her, Cinder being a cyborg be damned! This also ends sad since Garren, her stepfather, gets the plague and dies.

The Queen’s Army: This is about how it was like when Wolf was drafted into the wolf army. The whole story is just sad to read since there’s nothing good that happens to him, even his personal victory of having his unit sent to earth so he doesn’t get the full modifications is bittersweet considering he doesn’t get a bright spot in his life until Scarlet shows up.

Carswell’s Guide to Being Lucky: This is about and incident that happened when he was in school. Not my favorite of the stories but I was surprised that he came from a very well off family, rich enough to have a maid, since the impression I got in the main books was that he came from a poor home.

After Sunshine Passes By: How Cress came to be on the satellite. Definitely a sad one as it gets to the satellite itself and how she just can’t deal with it and pleading not to be left there alone.

The Princess and the Guard: This is definitely my favorite of the stories in here. Unlike the other stories where it’s stuff happening to the heroes, this has Winter and Jacin making choices that make them who they are in the books. The moment when Winter gave up her gift after realizing it wasn’t helping a suicidal servant at all was very powerful but pales in comparison to when Levana forces her to scar her own face and actually defies her with just one statement “I won’t”. Meanwhile Jacin gives up his dream of becoming a doctor to protect Winter from the dangers of Levana and from her own mind. It’s just sweet how it goes.

The Little Android: A take on The Little Mermaid. It’s okay but the ending is the best part when she switches places with the girl so that the guy she likes can be happy and to help the girl stay with him, even though she knows the Android body is rejecting her personality chip.

The Mechanic: It’s just the first chapter of Cinder told from Kai’s POV. Does give some funny commentary on what he’s thinking during that conversation.

Something Old, Something New: A perfect ending to the series. Scarlet and Wolf getting married and it was so fun reading everyone throwing a secret early wedding while she has no idea what’s happening.

Overall I liked seeing these snippets of everyone’s lives before the books start.

I also read Volume 6 of the Power Rangers comic. This is the calm before the Shattered Grid happens. Not really much to say on that.

My next read will be something a little more realistic, a mystery! The Bat by Jo Nesbø.

31 minutes ago, The Kraken's Daughter said:

Finished TWOK on Thursday. What a ride!

Before diving into WOR, I'm reading something different: The Girl in the Tower, which is the second book in Katherine Arden's Winternight Trilogy.

Currently doing WoK on my re-read and it's pretty intense this time round. I'm not sure whether or not to take a break since I've read non-stop Brandon this year or finish the Cosmere before moving onto another series/book.

14 hours ago, Wander89 said:

Currently doing WoK on my re-read and it's pretty intense this time round. I'm not sure whether or not to take a break since I've read non-stop Brandon this year or finish the Cosmere before moving onto another series/book.

I had to take a break when I did my first read since I needed a palate cleanser. It kind of helped that when October came around I wanted something spooky to read so that was a good time to break. Then when the holidays came along I didn’t want to haul WOR so I grabbed a different book to read.

4 hours ago, Draginon said:

I had to take a break when I did my first read since I needed a palate cleanser. It kind of helped that when October came around I wanted something spooky to read so that was a good time to break. Then when the holidays came along I didn’t want to haul WOR so I grabbed a different book to read.

Yeah it's such a massive undertaking. I think I'll continue on but might do a short book on the side!

2 hours ago, Wander89 said:

Yeah it's such a massive undertaking. I think I'll continue on but might do a short book on the side!

Yeah, doing a one book break really helps. It does help that Brandon does different genres so every book feels different so a cleanse isn’t as needed. WOT is worse since it’s a 15 part story that’s so hard to read in one go.

Just now, Draginon said:

Yeah, doing a one book break really helps. It does help that Brandon does different genres so every book feels different so a cleanse isn’t as needed. WOT is worse since it’s a 15 part story that’s so hard to read in one go.

That's going to be my next venture, Wheel of Time. Horror author Paul Tremblay's Growing Things is out next month so I might take a break to read that. He does such good, easy horror that can be absolutely terrifying.

3 minutes ago, Wander89 said:

That's going to be my next venture, Wheel of Time. Horror author Paul Tremblay's Growing Things is out next month so I might take a break to read that. He does such good, easy horror that can be absolutely terrifying.

Good luck on WOT. Currently reading my first adult (I’ve done young adult ones) international book that wasn’t originally written in English, The Bat by Jo Nesbø, so that’s going to be interesting.

6 minutes ago, Draginon said:

Good luck on WOT. Currently reading my first adult (I’ve done young adult ones) international book that wasn’t originally written in English, The Bat by Jo Nesbø, so that’s going to be interesting.

It's going to be a long one so hopefully I'll stay interested enough for the journey. Maybe I should also branch out from Fantasy...

I haven't read a new book in months due to a reading slump of mine. I guess it's only a partial slump since I've been rereading all of Sanderson's full books. It started with The Rithmatist a couple of months ago, and then I decided to use my Mistborn Leatherbound books as books for once. Then about a week ago I finished the Reckoners trilogy. Next week I'll read Wax and Wayne (I need to buy them in hardcover since I never had AoL in hardcover AND I WANT IT; and gave away my SoS and BoM hardcovers...twice...). 

But that's not enough for me. I want to get to some new series...or at least start the books I've been buying over the past 6 months. So July (...at least until Fire Emblem: Three Houses comes out...) will be my month of doing so, leaving August my month of finishing up series. 

So what's on this list asked nobody ever? Allow me to share:

Tad Williams - The Dragonbone Chair

Sam Sykes - A City Stained Red

Steven Erikson - Midnight Tides

Django Wexler - The Infernal Battalion

Those four books are my highest priority. As to which goes first...that's where I'm waffling a bit. I think I should bite the bullet and do The Infernal Battalion, but it's been SO LONG since I read a Malazan book. But I also feel the need to red Sam Sykes' stuff...so...

I should also put Iron Gold on the list, but I don't feel as tempted to read it. 

Onto "later but still in July" books:

Django Wexler - Ship of Smoke and Steel (but I can't start this until I finish The Infernal Battalion)

Jay Kristoff (and Amie Kauffman) - Aurora Rising 

Cixin Liu - The Three Body Problem

3 hours ago, Use the Falchion said:

Tad Williams - The Dragonbone Chair

Cixin Liu - The Three Body Problem

Out of your list, these are the 2 series that I highly recommend. Tad Williams is traditional fantasy, the Memory, Sorrow and Thorn series is a classic! Three Body Problem is huge, spanning sci-fi that is actually such an easy, intriguing read!

1 hour ago, urrutiap said:

While Im reading Wheel of Time Eye of the World paperback which will keep me busy in July, im also at the moment reading old issues of original Amazing Spider Man

Spider-Man is my favourite, I remember blasting through the full 700 issues before Marvel Now and it was such an emotional rollercoaster.