What Are You Reading, Part 2

Chaos

54 minutes ago, Wander89 said:

You'll get there eventually. I wish I was reading them for the first time am again!

firt time through Words of Radiance, i barely put it down.  think it took me about 25-30 hours, pretty much straight with minimal interruptions.  I'm not even sure I ate that weekend.

2 hours ago, Wander89 said:

You'll get there eventually. I wish I was reading them for the first time am again!

Oh I'm sure I'll be done and finished quicker than I want to be!  I really love the characters in all of the Sanderson stories I've read.  It really brings me back to when I was so in love with reading when I was young, and devoured everything put in front of me.

Just finished Winter (book 4 of The Lunar Chronicles). That was so good and the heroes definitely earned their ending. I’ve read so many books where the ending was satisfying all the way to meh and most leaning on the ‘did the heroes earn it?’ direction.

The heroes were all so great to read, see them grow and fall in love. Obviously Cinder is the main character but each of the girls (Scarlet, Cress and Winter) are just as important to getting that happiness. Cinder finally defeating her aunt, Scarlet being a big sister to Winter and not caring what Wolf looks like after being altered, Cress and Thorne getting over the romance hassles and Winter just being her own crazy lovable self by refusing to use her Lunar gift and using it to protect the guy she loves from a crazy guy who scares her shitless even though using it would make her worse. It was also so sweet when Winter volunteered as a test subject for the Lunar suppression chip so that she can finally be safe and happy within her mind and not worry anymore.

Next up will be Fairest, the backstory novella for Levana showing how she became so cray-cray and a tyrant.

Lately I've been reading Bernard Cornwell. I'm on to the fourth book in his Saxon tales series, Sword Song, and I'm loving it.

I also read his book Fools and Mortals, which was decent but not nearly as good.

3 hours ago, Briar King said:

Still very, very, verrrrryyy slowly reading Malazan 9 and New Sun 1. Now I have also picked up Prince of Thorns which is going much faster.

Thats all rereads.

I love malazan, but i think books 8, 9, and 10 each individually took me longer than books 1-6 put together on both my readthroughs

I finally finished my reread of The Well of Ascension this morning. Took me over four months cause I got distracted after the first 100 or so pages (by FMA:B lol) and didn't find my way back to it ... but I made it through eventually and I'm very determined on finishing The Hero of Ages this month so I can finally start with Mistborn era 2 which I haven't read at all yet.

Just finished Fairest. Wow, Levana was such a twisted person. She had every opportunity to be a sympathetic character (her sister turning her into a burn victim, wanting love, becoming a mother) but she squanders every chance by forcing her husband into marrying her with deceit and manipulation at the age of 16, forcing a new nanny to kill her niece and later having her husband killed so that she can marry the emperor of the Eastern Commonwealth.

Anyway onto Stars Above, the short stories showing the backstories of the heroes!

21 hours ago, NottTheBrave said:

Finished part three of Words of Radiance. That's was a RIDE!  Gonna devour the rest of this book over the weekend, I can tell.  What a fantastic final sequence that was!

Words of Radiance is such an absolute thrill!! Is this your first read-through?

2 hours ago, Wander89 said:

Words of Radiance is such an absolute thrill!! Is this your first read-through?

It is indeed!  My third Sanderson novel overall.  It really is a thrill.  I only have one small complaint about it so far, and even then, it's minor!  Such a great series!

44 minutes ago, NottTheBrave said:

It is indeed!  My third Sanderson novel overall.  It really is a thrill.  I only have one small complaint about it so far, and even then, it's minor!  Such a great series!

What else have you read? I take it Way of Kings is one of those! Well, as great as the novels are; they are far from perfect! What's the complaint, if you don't mind me asking.

25 minutes ago, Wander89 said:

What else have you read? I take it Way of Kings is one of those! Well, as great as the novels are; they are far from perfect! What's the complaint, if you don't mind me asking.

I finished Mistborn: The Final Empire earlier this week!  As for my complaint, it boils down to two words.  Shallan blushed.  I feel like you could cut fifty pages from Words of Radiance just by removing all the instances it's written out. I feel like at this point in WoR, I know shallan well enough to know when she blushes so I don't need to read it every single time, lol.  

1 minute ago, NottTheBrave said:

I finished Mistborn: The Final Empire earlier this week!  As for my complaint, it boils down to two words.  Shallan blushed.  I feel like you could cut fifty pages from Words of Radiance just by removing all the instances it's written out. I feel like at this point in WoR, I know shallan well enough to know when she blushes so I don't need to read it every single time, lol.  

The Mistborn series is fantastic, you should definitely finish at least Era 1. It's a good tie-in to Stormlight. So many books in so little time!

Yeah, I guess that's true. Or Pattern buzzed! Lots of blushing and buzzing from the two haha

6 minutes ago, Wander89 said:

The Mistborn series is fantastic, you should definitely finish at least Era 1. It's a good tie-in to Stormlight. So many books in so little time!

Yeah, I guess that's true. Or Pattern buzzed! Lots of blushing and buzzing from the two haha

Oh I fully intend to!  I loved the first book.  I have the trilogy box set I got for Christmas last year.  After Words of Radiance I plan to read Eye of the World, then probably go back for Well of Ascension.  Oathbringer is getting its US mass market paperback release at the end of August, and I plan to read it then.  I also am going through The Witcher series, but so far I've been able to read those in about a day and a half per book.  They're significantly more light than Sanderson.  After Oathbringer I'll polish off Hero of Ages if I don't finish it before August.  

Of course, these plans could go completely to crap, so who knows! :D

Yeah it's not really a big deal, I just feel like Shallan blushing is a detail that doesn't need to be added so often.  She did it three times on one page earlier in the book, haha.  I don't mind pattern too much, as he's kind of otherworldly, and his buzzing represents a lot I feel.

Edited by NottTheBrave

Has anyone tried the Lightbringer series and been able to not put it down? I'm looking for the next series to start and I've heard good things about Brent Weeks and Robert Jackson Bennett. Sanderson is my go-to but I'm nearly finished my reread (Stormlight Archive to go).

EDIT: Any other suggestions welcome also. 

Edited by Wander89

Just about to start Part 4 of TWOK. But I'm looking at the names of the characters to be featured in this part and...no Shallan?!

Spoiler

Szeth just wrecked the crem out of the power structure of her country. All those other nobles that were just waiting to pounce the instant her father's death became known probably just got stabbed. And we don't get to see her reaction?

That fight scene with Szeth was ridiculous, though. I wish we could see that in a movie.

12 hours ago, The Kraken's Daughter said:

Just about to start Part 4 of TWOK. But I'm looking at the names of the characters to be featured in this part and...no Shallan?!

Hide contents

Szeth just wrecked the crem out of the power structure of her country. All those other nobles that were just waiting to pounce the instant her father's death became known probably just got stabbed. And we don't get to see her reaction?

That fight scene with Szeth was ridiculous, though. I wish we could see that in a movie.

She wasn't in Part 2 either

On to a classic: Michael Kohlhaas by Heinrich von Kleist. I was hungry for more of a "challenging" read after devouring 6 Asimov books in a row. Honestly, I can't even imagine the pain it would take to translate Kleist's endlessly nested sentences (I'm reading the OV).

On 12/06/2019 at 2:00 AM, The Kraken's Daughter said:

Hide contents

Yup! She gets a fair few parts later on in the series though

Yep!  Shallan continues to intrigue me!  Sadly didn't do a whole lot of reading this week.  Got busy catching up on E3, and managed to polish off a couple games that have been on my backlog for years.  So at least I accomplished something.  Sitting down to do a bit of reading before bed right now.

3 hours ago, NottTheBrave said:

Finished Words of Radiance!  That was a heck of a book!  I'm very tempted to dig into Oathbringer immediately, but I think I'm gonna wait just a bit longer, that way there isn't as much of a gap between 3 and 4.  Time to start one of my many other books I have waiting! 

If you haven't already, I'd recommend reading Edgedancer specifically. It's in Arcanum but can also be found standalone, in the UK at least.

34 minutes ago, Wander89 said:

If you haven't already, I'd recommend reading Edgedancer specifically. It's in Arcanum but can also be found standalone, in the UK at least.

I remember hearing about that!  It's one of the next things I'll pick up, probably in August.  My birthday is the 9th and that'd make an easy pick-up for my family to get me!    It's about Lift right?  I liked her interlude, so I'm looking forward to it!

Im currently up to chapter 5 in The Eye of the World!