Chaos

What Are You Reading, Part 2

4,366 posts in this topic

I’m about to start reading Les Miserables. My English teacher said I should read a classic, so why not go big with that recommendation?

Posted (edited)

@Jaywalk I personally would go with War and Peace by Tolstoy (Briggs translation) but Les Miserables has its moments. I had my problems with it, but perhaps you will like it more; I love the musical though!

I'm also a big fan of The Decameron by Boccaccio.

Edited by Ammanas

49 minutes ago, Jaywalk said:

I’m about to start reading Les Miserables. My English teacher said I should read a classic, so why not go big with that recommendation?

Which version are you reading (abridged, full?)

11 hours ago, Snipexe said:

Which version are you reading (abridged, full?)

Full.

I fnished reading Star Wars Rogue One: Rebel Rising earlier today and it was pretty good even though a short book.

Later today Ill be re-reading  Star Wars Lords of the Sith before reading Coruscant Nights Book II for the first time.

Other books i got planned for the rest of April along with May

- reread the old New Hope novel

-read Star Wars Battlefront II Inferno Squad

-read Alliegance, Splinter of the Mind's Eye, Razor's Edge

-To Kill a Mockingbird

-Stephen King and Owen King's Sleeping Beauties. I really need to start on reading the book 

On 4/13/2019 at 4:40 PM, Briar King said:

idk maybe a Wolfe New Sun reread.

Crazy timing here

8 hours ago, Jaywalk said:

Full.

Heh, have fun with Waterloo and the Sewers.

3 hours ago, Who Sharded? said:

Crazy timing here

You have no idea. I can’t type my actual reaction to this heartbreak I woke up to on this forum, let’s say it contains a lot of Fbombs and tears.

it was quite something that I happened to read exactly the 1st 2 pages around 11:50pm yesterday before putting it down for bed only to wake up and find I started this glorious reread on this word masters death day. So sad and freaky!

15 hours ago, Snipexe said:

Heh, have fun with Waterloo and the Sewers.

Oh, I will. I already got through the long bishop section; I think I can make it through those.

Finished the final part of Legion last night. Reading all three together was nice and it's amazing how great the Aspects were. The ending was fun since it turned the whole story into a metaphor/allegory of what it's like being a writer. Also when reading it it was obvious how it felt like a script for a show and I didn't mind it at all.

Was tempted to read Skyward next but I wanted to read something more fantasy and read a sequel of something I've already read so I'm now reading Cress book 3 of The Lunar Chronicles (I know it's more sci-fi but it's based off Rapunzel... strange how I've had a rapunzel year so far with Kingdom Hearts 3, reading a book about Gothel, watching some videos on the show and now reading Cress)

7 hours ago, Draginon said:

Finished the final part of Legion last night. Reading all three together was nice and it's amazing how great the Aspects were. The ending was fun since it turned the whole story into a metaphor/allegory of what it's like being a writer. Also when reading it it was obvious how it felt like a script for a show and I didn't mind it at all.

Was tempted to read Skyward next but I wanted to read something more fantasy and read a sequel of something I've already read so I'm now reading Cress book 3 of The Lunar Chronicles (I know it's more sci-fi but it's based off Rapunzel... strange how I've had a rapunzel year so far with Kingdom Hearts 3, reading a book about Gothel, watching some videos on the show and now reading Cress)

Legion was a great story and I was happy to get a different aspect (hehe) of Sanderson's writing styles. Snapshot was great that way too and these short stories are what keeps those ideas fresh, for me. Skyward isn't hard sci-fi and is a pretty easy read so you could possibly read that but with the sequel coming out soon you might want to keep it fresh in your mind for later.

5 hours ago, Wander89 said:

Legion was a great story and I was happy to get a different aspect (hehe) of Sanderson's writing styles. Snapshot was great that way too and these short stories are what keeps those ideas fresh, for me. Skyward isn't hard sci-fi and is a pretty easy read so you could possibly read that but with the sequel coming out soon you might want to keep it fresh in your mind for later.

It's so nice when Brandon does stories like Legion, they're a breath of fresh air and such a quick read. I hope that Brandon eventually brings his other short stories and novellas out in a collection so I can read Snapshot (I don't do ebooks so I don't have a way right now)

I already own Skyward so I can start that anytime but I have a few in progress series (where I've read 1 or more books but not finished the series itself. Luckily all the ones in this list are YA so easy pickings) and standalones I want to get through first and not add another in progress series to my list. I don't count incomplete series, like ASOIAF, as an in progress just because there's no way to finish reading them at this point.

4 hours ago, Draginon said:

It's so nice when Brandon does stories like Legion, they're a breath of fresh air and such a quick read. I hope that Brandon eventually brings his other short stories and novellas out in a collection so I can read Snapshot (I don't do ebooks so I don't have a way right now)

I already own Skyward so I can start that anytime but I have a few in progress series (where I've read 1 or more books but not finished the series itself. Luckily all the ones in this list are YA so easy pickings) and standalones I want to get through first and not add another in progress series to my list. I don't count incomplete series, like ASOIAF, as an in progress just because there's no way to finish reading them at this point.

They do Snapshot in hardback in the UK (don't know where you're from) but that's the only way I got to read it. I agree that hopefully a sort of omnibus would be great, I'd pay good money for a collection but he has so many that it'd be massive.

Starting a new series can be quite daunting, too. Especially when you have so many on the go. I find myself wandering and not being able to complete one so never manage to do 2/3 at a time. ASOIAF is a series I'm sure I'd love to read but the fact it's incomplete is startling. When I read Name of the Wind I was under the impression it'd be completed shortly and look how that turned out...

21 hours ago, Wander89 said:

They do Snapshot in hardback in the UK (don't know where you're from) but that's the only way I got to read it. I agree that hopefully a sort of omnibus would be great, I'd pay good money for a collection but he has so many that it'd be massive.

Starting a new series can be quite daunting, too. Especially when you have so many on the go. I find myself wandering and not being able to complete one so never manage to do 2/3 at a time. ASOIAF is a series I'm sure I'd love to read but the fact it's incomplete is startling. When I read Name of the Wind I was under the impression it'd be completed shortly and look how that turned out...

I live in the states so yeah...

The worst new series to try starting are the long ones without an end known. I have The Sword of Truth still sitting on my shelf and I've yet to start on it, then I have the first installments of Dresden Files and Wild Cards with no end in sight for either. Another long one is Discworld with 41? books total (hate the fact that my copy of The Colour of Magic is spelled The Color of Magic) and I also have the first Harry Hole book which has no end so far. I'm holding off getting The Kingkiller Chronicles until book 3 is announced (wanted to do that for ASOIAF for when book 6 was announced but ended up finding AGOT for cheap) One series I am glad to have finished was The Wheel of Time, that was so long I had to take breaks to keep myself fresh.

But there are some series I have that are complete but I don't yet have all the books like The Lunar Chronicles (own 3/6), Codex Alera (1/6) and two of the Rick Riordon series (2/3 norse 2/5 Apollo)

Im reading two books at the same time 

To Kill a Mockingbird and Star Wars Coruscant Nights IV Last Jedi

The Gutter Prayer by Hanrahan. I have actually really been wanting to read this since it came out in January, but for some reason I kept on getting distracted. It's also the first book I've encountered that a Ghoul is one of the protagonists. It's still early in the book but its good so far.