What Are You Reading, Part 2

Chaos

Its funny how you can read a book a few years later and have a completely different experience with it. Reading the the Powder Mage books (currently almost done with The Crimson Campaign) by Mcclellan and having a blast with them. I had previously given up after the first one. The writing, pacing, and dialogue reminds me a lot of Sanderson. I guess I'm technically listening to them and the narrator (first time I've heard of him) is doing a fine job as well.

I've finished Mort. The plot was a little unfocused which led to a weakish conclusion but that hardly matters. The characters were all very likeable and it was (of course) well written with some wonderful jokes. Anything with Death is a pure delight. (A sentence I didn't expect to ever need to write.)

I'm continuing Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell. It's such a wonderfully crafted story.

Furthermore, I'm partway through Slaughterhouse 5, it's a little out of my usual choice of reading but it is truly phenomenal.

On 25/03/2019 at 11:30 AM, Ammanas said:

Its funny how you can read a book a few years later and have a completely different experience with it. Reading the the Powder Mage books (currently almost done with The Crimson Campaign) by Mcclellan and having a blast with them. I had previously given up after the first one. The writing, pacing, and dialogue reminds me a lot of Sanderson. I guess I'm technically listening to them and the narrator (first time I've heard of him) is doing a fine job as well.

I believe McClellan was once a student of Brandon's at BYU.

My Cosmere re-read is coming along nicely. Finished White Sand, Elantris and Mistborn: The Final Empire. Also read The Emperor's Soul and am now reading Well of Ascension. I've also started I Am Hero manga and am also on the lookout for some great fantasy/horror books or preferably manga series.

1 hour ago, Pagliacci said:

Might I recommend Hellstar Remina or just any other works by Junji Ito?

I remember reading Uzumaki as my first Junji Ito works and being so in awe and creeped out by a simple spiral pattern. Probably one of the, if not the only, series that has genuinely creeped me out.

2 hours ago, Pagliacci said:

I've finished Slaughterhouse 5. What a fantastic story! The way Vonnegut plays with perspective is fascinating. 

Probably his best story. If you want something truly bonkers check out his book Breakfast of Champions. Sirens of Titan is also pretty good.

Finished The Kingdom Keepers: The Return: Disney at Last. Kind of read this on and off since I was also watching a show as well and this is one of those books that's more a slow read than a regular or fast read.

Anyway fun series to read, very fly by seat of pants writing since facts are never straight between the books: In the Return 2 the Keepers are attacked by the Big Bad Wilf and Three Pigs meaning the characters are already alive but the Return 3 shows the characters coming to life for the first time with the help of the villain and a voodoo witch doctor.

Not really sure where Pearson is going after this since he has confirmed another series called Kingdom Keepers International outside of the possibility the Keepers are going to the other parks around the world.

Next book is going to be Mother Knows Best: A Tale of the Old Witch by Serena Valentino (love these books and can't wait for the Odd Sisters book and who the next villain is)

Finished Mother Knows Best. Very good and loose with the film. Compared to the previous two it focuses far more on the focus villain, Mother Gothel, than on the original characters. In terms of feeling sorry for the villain Gothel is smack dab in the middle. She wasn't as horrid and destructive as Ursula and Beast but she also wasn't as heartbreaking as The Queen and Maleficent.

The book in now on is the Legion collection.

Listening to the audiobook A Memory Called Empire by Arkady Martine and just started Seven Blades in Black by Sykes; two very different books. The first is focused on slow moving politics set in a Galactic Empire. It also has the greatest emphasis on the semantics of language, of any fictional book, that I have ever read. The second book has one of the strangest cover art I have ever seen and is basically a combination of Abercrombie's Best Served Cold and Sergio Leone's Man with No Name trilogy (a Western). Both are good so far.

The end of this 1462 pg beast Inheritance Omni is in sight. Around 200 left. Should just be a few more days to. I really want to take a Jemisin break and yet I also want to go get Dreamblood Duology to have ready to go after the last pg of this. 

Malazan reread through has really stalled but I have still maintained my reading something each day minus my 2 day brain fart back in late Jan messing up my consecutive days reading them since 4/25/17. On Dust of Dreams(9).

12 hours ago, Briar King said:

Malazan reread through has really stalled but I have still maintained my reading something each day minus my 2 day brain fart back in late Jan messing up my consecutive days reading them since 4/25/17. On Dust of Dreams(9).

my original Malazan read, and my reread both started to stall around book 7.  i got through all 10 both times, but the last few take a lot more effort than the first ones.

Brandon Sanderson, Calamity - ebook (I know, I'm not caught up yet on Sanderson. I only started reading him about two years ago and had an insanely busy year. *cough* excuses).

J.R.R Tolkien, The Hobbit - paperback

I always have an ebook engaged alongside a physical book. I read the ebook on my breaks at my full time job and the physical book at home after I'm done writing for the evening. Once I'm finished with one, I just move onto the next.

Finished up Inheritance Omni. Took 73 days to get through that 1462pg(actually 1442 pg with a 20 pg Broken Earth excerpt) beast.

ed: I have started Dreamblood. I think I will continue onwards till the end but I’m debating reading something else entirely starting tomorrow...idk maybe a Wolfe New Sun reread.

Edited by Briar King

@Jaywalk I personally would go with War and Peace by Tolstoy (Briggs translation) but Les Miserables has its moments. I had my problems with it, but perhaps you will like it more; I love the musical though!

I'm also a big fan of The Decameron by Boccaccio.

Edited by Ammanas