What Are You Reading, Part 2

Chaos

On 13/12/2018 at 1:49 PM, Briar King said:

Finished Broken Earth 2 and started 3.

I am nearly at the end of book 1, and I couldn’t do it anymore, ie deal with the suspense.  So, I went to wikipedia and read all the plot summaries to book 3.

I had figured who the three women were quite early.  

Overall, the Broken Earth is a good book. The melancholy/factual tone of the narrator reminds me of the Ancillary series that came out a few years aho.

8 hours ago, Wax said:

I am nearly at the end of book 1, and I couldn’t do it anymore, ie deal with the suspense.  So, I went to wikipedia and read all the plot summaries to book 3.

I had figured who the three women were quite early.  

I loved this series. They way the women evolved, how you realized who they were. And how the civilization was described, how the people reacted to the thread, how they abused those that could protect them. And not only them, the other characters were great, too.

I reread it several times, and it still leaves me awed every single time I put a book away.

7 hours ago, Sorana said:

I loved this series. They way the women evolved, how you realized who they were. And how the civilization was described, how the people reacted to the thread, how they abused those that could protect them. And not only them, the other characters were great, too.

I reread it several times, and it still leaves me awed every single time I put a book away.

I loved it so much and I want

more books set on this stage. She left it wide open to expand on any era before or after

8 minutes ago, Briar King said:

I loved it so much and I want

Hide contents

more books set on this stage. She left it wide open to expand on any era before or after

Spoiler

Me too. I'd literally take everything. The past, the future, more information about Alabaster, whatever.

4 hours ago, Jaywalk said:

Heh. True. I guess this is an author’s fansite. I’m the only one in my family who really reads(though I did get my mom to read Skyward).

My parents both read Brandon's books. I convinced them to give it a try.

On Thursday, December 27, 2018 at 5:52 AM, TheOoklaThatComesBefore said:

Reading Master and Margarita now. 

Did you finish this yet? If so, what did you think?

It's one of my all time favorite books.

Any book that has a serious character who happens to be an associate of the devil and also happens to be a cat wearing pince nez is worth a read in my book.

If you're a fan of deal with the devil Faustian bargain stories, you should check out Peter Sclemiel by Aldebert Von Chamisso, it's about a guy who sold his shadow to the Devil for a pair of 5 league boots.

I'm reading Stonewielder right now, and just got some info about the mysterious Ruthan Gud. Very interesting...

Also reading the Johnny Dixon books by John Bellairs with my daughter. Those books are awesome and Edward Gorey's illustrations are so beautifully rendered, atmospheric, and creepy.

5 hours ago, hoiditthroughthegrapevine said:

Did you finish this yet? If so, what did you think?

It's one of my all time favorite books.

Any book that has a serious character who happens to be an associate of the devil and also happens to be a cat wearing pince nez is worth a read in my book.

If you're a fan of deal with the devil Faustian bargain stories, you should check out Peter Sclemiel by Aldebert Von Chamisso, it's about a guy who sold his shadow to the Devil for a pair of 5 league boots.

I'm reading Stonewielder right now, and just got some info about the mysterious Ruthan Gud. Very interesting...

Also reading the Johnny Dixon books by John Bellairs with my daughter. Those books are awesome and Edward Gorey's illustrations are so beautifully rendered, atmospheric, and creepy.

The Midnight Front comes to mind with regards to soul selling to demons. It's quite good and book 2 comes out this month. 

And yay Stonewielder! 

On 1/13/2019 at 5:58 AM, AngelEy3 said:

The Midnight Front comes to mind with regards to soul selling to demons. It's quite good and book 2 comes out this month. 

And yay Stonewielder!

So I read the sample they have of Midnight Front on Amazon, the opening was good and the prose would work well for an audiobook (have 1 audible credit, and the audiobook narrator sounds decent). So AnglEy3, does book 1 have a good ending? Have been spoiled with Malazaan and Sanderson to expect a satisfying conclusion, and I don't know if I could get this book if the ending isn't good.

As to the second part, Stonewielder is a great book so far, I'll post on the Malazaan thread when I finish it. I'm really, really liking it so far (with the exception of the Ivanr from Antr parts which are kind of boringr, unpleasant flashbacks to the start and middle parts of the Rivvy snake from DoD)

4 hours ago, hoiditthroughthegrapevine said:

So I read the sample they have of Midnight Front on Amazon, the opening was good and the prose would work well for an audiobook (have 1 audible credit, and the audiobook narrator sounds decent). So AnglEy3, does book 1 have a good ending? Have been spoiled with Malazaan and Sanderson to expect a satisfying conclusion, and I don't know if I could get this book if the ending isn't good.

As to the second part, Stonewielder is a great book so far, I'll post on the Malazaan thread when I finish it. I'm really, really liking it so far (with the exception of the Ivanr from Antr parts which are kind of boringr, unpleasant flashbacks to the start and middle parts of the Rivvy snake from DoD)

@Ammanas and I read it together on release last year. I think it had a decent ending to the first story and then a good set up for where it's going in the series. But I'm also a horrible critic, lol, so I'll let him weigh in too. 

@hoiditthroughthegrapevine Does it have a good ending? Depends on what you're looking for. Is it conclusive or end in a cliff hanger? I think it ends fairly conclusive although there are some tantalizing hints on where the author could go with the sequel which picks up a decade or so later. The ending definitely wasn't happy. It was a pyrrhic victory in a lot of respects.