What Are You Reading, Part 2

Chaos

12 minutes ago, Sorana said:

My brother recommendated Hyperion by Dan Simmons, so I've started that one today.

That's a pretty good one. Fall of Hyperion is also good, and pretty much completes the story. 

The other two books in the series are flaming dumpster fires, though, and embodies all the socially problematic tropes of science fiction. 

1 minute ago, TheOoklaThatComesBefore said:

That's a pretty good one. Fall of Hyperion is also good, and pretty much completes the story. 

He also gave me that one, the other two he didn't own. But if they're not worth reading I'll skip them. Especially if Fall of Hyperion completes the story. Thanks for the advice!

I also finished my christmas book wish list today (easy presents, since I usually buy what I need, when I need it), so there will be a lot of books to (re)read in a few weeks, too. And you can't own too many books :lol:

5 hours ago, Sorana said:

He also gave me that one, the other two he didn't own. But if they're not worth reading I'll skip them. Especially if Fall of Hyperion completes the story. Thanks for the advice!

The final two books in the series are Endymion (book 3) and the rise of Endymion (book 4).

They are actually pretty good books.  

I would say the  book 1 had so much set up involved, that you don’t get real enjoyment till you hit book 2.

But please don’t listen to the idea that book 3 and book 4 are bad. They are pretty good and a bit of fresh air after the heaviness of the first 2 books.

Yes, a few things are tricky as the @TheOoklaThatComesBefore says.  But here’s the thing, book 3 and book 4 give you a warmer feeling than the first 2 books.  That’s all I am willing to say so that you don’t look for the flaws but enjoy the Hyperion Cantos as a whole.

Plus you’ve already got the set, so do go ahead and read it.  

Seriously, even knowing what issues are being mentioned obliquely here, I don’t regret reading book 3 and 4 and would still recommend it if you can get to book 2.  

Book 1 was the challenge.  It gets progressively easier after that.

Also, book 2 doesn’t complete the series.  Book 4 does.

Edited by Wax

On 12/9/2018 at 2:24 PM, Wax said:

Book 1 was the challenge.  It gets progressively easier after that.

Also, book 2 doesn’t complete the series.  Book 4 does.

That's like saying Return of the Jedi doesn't complete Star Wars, Episode 9 does. It's a continuation of some minor points and leaves behind the epic scope of the first two to retread the same conflict on a smaller scale. 

Also, Hyperion is the one with all the awards ;)

Edit disclaimer: Star Wars is used as an example because it too has an unnecessary sequel series that people can still enjoy. 

Edited by TheOoklaThatComesBefore

Just finished Oathbringer.

Pretty good but did get a bit stale in places, some notable ones being the beginning of the flashbacks and the Kholinar sequences.

Spoiler

I liked that the flashbacks had an in-story reason to be seen, linked to when Dalinar himself is remembering them himself. Wondering if the Eshonai flashbacks will be 'triggered' by Venli remembering stuff about her.

The Unmade were pretty cool the way they were depicted.

I wasn't prepared for all the period stuff but did have a good laugh at it all the same.

The journey through Shadesmar was probably my favorite sequence of the book.

With how Viv is here I kind of want the Warbreaker sequel to see how she became such a badass and how she got herself an Awakened sword. Wonder what intent it was embued with?

Screw you Moash, never cared for you even before you went turncoat.

Goodbye Amaram! In the immortal words of Palona "Good riddance!"

Was originally planning to read some Disney books while on vacation but I don't really want to bring 3-5 books so I'm going to be reading A Game of Thrones.

Almost to the very end of A Memory of Light. To make a long story short I have been trying to finish this series for about 8 years. I believe that Brandon Sanderson closed this series in a better way than Robert Jordan ever could. Sanderson has brought both energy, and focus to this series after Jordan spent so many books just drifting and going nowhere.

I kind of like the symbolism of Sanderson finishing the series. This series is about people, cities, nations, and cultures coming together to try to defeat The Dark one. The task is bigger than them. Ultimately this task turned out to be bigger than even the author himself. I honestly believe Robert Jordan didn't even know how to close the series. Yes, he had the closing scenes worked out and the fates of characters, but didn't know how to trim the fat off his writing and story so he could get there.

I hope my comments are not interpreted that I somehow rejoice in Jordans death. I wouldn't wish that on anyone. I just stand in awe of Brandon Sanderson. He was given a almost impossible task and really pulled it off. 

Edited by Ammanas

On 11/12/2018 at 11:33 AM, TheOoklaThatComesBefore said:

That's like saying Return of the Jedi doesn't complete Star Wars, Episode 9 does. It's a continuation of some minor points and leaves behind the epic scope of the first two to retread the same conflict on a smaller scale. 

Also, Hyperion is the one with all the awards ;)

Edit disclaimer: Star Wars is used as an example because it too has an unnecessary sequel series that people can still enjoy. 

See, the problems with comparisons is that unless they fit exactly, they end up confusing.

The fall of hyperion resolved the original characters of Hyperion, but the next two books were clearly enjoyable and did bring it things to a close eg

Spoiler

the church

So, I wouldn’t call star wars a good comparison.

I think we’ll have to agree to disagree that book 3 and 4 are worth reading or not.

Foundryside by Robert Bennett. Sanderson recommended it a few months ago. I really liked the first two books of his Divine Cities trilogy, but was very much dissapointed by the third one; evidently my view is the minority because a lot of other people seem to like the concluding book. 

This book is interesting. I think the world and magic system are unique and the main character's conversations with her enchanted key are funny! Lots of info dumps which is surprising from such a experienced author. Also Divine Cities felt more polished which is also surprising. All in all I am having fun. Only 70 pages in so I still have a lot left.

1 hour ago, Winds Alight said:

I finished Elantris (reread) two days ago and moved to The Emperor's Soul yesterday which I haven't read yet. After that, it's a Warbreaker reread.

The Emperor's Soul is great. One of my favourites! I really hope you'll like it!