What Are You Reading, Part 2

Chaos

@Dunkum I just finished this series! With Tad Willams' books its more about the journey than getting to the destination. Some people hate the meandering pace, but I look at it as a focus on character development, world building, and great prose. Also Tad Williams writes some great series endings! 

Edited by Ammanas

Just finished the Rysa Walker’s Delphi Adept series (urban fantasy/sci fi).

It’d be science fiction but the sci fi bit was on the soft side.  Always has been about the prose and the drama but as usual she delivered with a good triology.

Definitely something that the fans of the hunger games would like.

2 hours ago, Ammanas said:

@Dunkum I just finished this series! With Tad Willams' books its more about the journey than getting to the destination. Some people hate the meandering pace, but I look at it as a focus on character development, world building, and great prose. Also Tad Williams writes some great series endings! 

I'm generally a fan of worldbuilding and spending time with characters (I actually liked Crossroads fo Twilight simply because I liked spending time with the characters), so I'm not necessarily complaining that this is going to stretch for 3 more books, but I am a bit surprised that he was able to stretch it that long.  the last few chapters of book 1 felt like they were heading towards finality, but then it just ends.  it felt like he could have wrapped up the whole story in just a couple more chapters, and what's more it feels like the main characters are just shy of being found out and stopped - like it could happen at any minute - so I just have a hard time imagining how he sustains a story for what must be weeks or even months or years of in-world time without it feeling like deus ex machina or something.  There is also a lot of tension at the end of book 1 that seems unresolved - but trying to stretch that across 4 books should be impossible.  I don't know - normally I am all in for series over single books, but this case just feels weird.  I'll stick with it (assuming the library heeds my request and gets the rest of the books) and withhold judgment on the series until ive gotten further, but i'm just not sure how he could pull it off.  all that said, I did like the first book, though it could have used a better proofreader.  my library's ebook version had a number of glaring typos.

Reading The Ember Blade by Wooding. I absolutely love it so far! Reminds me a lot of Stormlight Archives. He's more of a U.K author so the physical copies are expensive for U.S. readers. I got the ebook which is the standard $9.99. I think all Sanderson fans would love it!

2 hours ago, Ammanas said:

Reading The Ember Blade by Wooding. I absolutely love it so far! Reminds me a lot of Stormlight Archives. He's more of a U.K author so the physical copies are expensive for U.S. readers. I got the ebook which is the standard $9.99. I think all Sanderson fans would love it!

I'll try it out. It also has some good reviews on goodreads. Thanks for the recommendation!

On 23/10/2018 at 2:39 AM, Ammanas said:

I would like some more info to confirm if it is worth reading.  See, I am troubled by this part of the blurb

revolution is brewing, and Aren is being drawn into it, whether he likes it or not.  
The key to the revolution is the Ember Blade. The sword of kings, the Excalibur of his people. Only with the Ember Blade in hand can their people be inspired to rise up...

It sounds like the “revolution” can’t happen without a particular sword.  That’s a bit silly sounding.

Can you confirm if the sword is more ancillary to the whole thing? Or is it a central device here like a nuclear bomb.

@Wax so I am between 1/3 and halfway through and the sword has been mentioned a few times and we just found out that a small group means to steal it back. So far, what we know of it, is that it doesn't appear to be magical (who knows that might change later as the reader gains more information) although it was created by a method of metal working that is lost. The sword is a symbol of divine right of kings for this conquered country. There is a lot of religions parts to it tied as well. There was a failed rebellion earlier and they saw without something to rally behind they just collapse and turn on one another. The sword is almost part of their identity as a nation 

Edited by Ammanas

I am just starting Magic Triumphs. It is the last book in a 10-book series, so I can't wait to figure out how they deal with the main villain of the series. Especially since there seems to be another major villain in this book.

Btw, Magic Triumphs is a urban fantasy/post-apocalypse cross, written by Ilona Andrews. Basically, magic suddenly flooded the world in the modern era (event is called the Shift), and it causes tech to break/stop working. It also switches between magic waves and tech waves on an irregular but frequent basis. I really like the series, but it is an adult series.

Also, there is a spin-off series that the first book just came out, and what is super interesting is that the main character of the spin-off, was a major villain of the main series. And the first book was really good, which isn't always the case with spin-offs.

@Sorana Another to know about this book is that in the beginning the focus is on two male boys, but later on he introduces some great female characters who play a big part. The only reason I mention it is because I am under the impression you are female and didn't want you to get frustrated with the beginning and think the entire book would be like that.

@Ammanas

You're right I'm female, but I have to admit, that I don't need female heroines to like a book. If there is a good mixture between male and female protagonists that's best, in my opinion. For me it's more important that the characters are well developped and that they evolve during the story. I have to admit that some of my most favourite books are centered (almost) solely on a male protagonist.

But thanks a lot for the consideration and for thinking of this! I'm really excited to read it. I only need to finish the other one first, it was planned to conclude a series and I want to know what happenes.

On 17.10.2018 at 2:41 AM, SarcasticRaven said:

I'm currently finishing Victoria Aveyard's War Storm but I then plan to move on to The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan then jump right back into Sanderson with the Mistborn prequels. 

@SarcasticRaven The forest of hands and teeth is such a good book, but there aren’t many people who’ve read it. Have you started it already? 

Blood of Assassins by RJ Barker (the second book in completed Wounded Kingdom trilogy). I thought the first book was a good solid debut for the author and the second book is a improvement. Really enjoying it so far! It focuses more on relationships than action (which seems to be the norm with most assassin books). Kind of like Robin Hobb, but a more workmanlike (but still good) prose and faster paced. 

@Briar King I think the forum must have glitched while you were making your last post, because it posted three times... :lol:

In other news, after having Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett on my TBR list for a few years, I've FINALLY gotten around to actually starting it. (prompted by the announcement that it's being adapted for TV)